U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,564 times
Default All electric apartment cheaper than gas?

Hello! I am looking at an apartment that is all electric and a friend told me this is way cheaper than gas. The leasing manager told me to expect the bill to be between $50-$70 a month, which seems to be pretty reasonable. Just wondering if this is all really true! I'm currently looking at two one bedroom floorplans, 1 that is 600sq ft. and 800sq ft. Anyone who has personally had all electric.. feel free to comment! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM

260 posts, read 286,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Lee14 View Post
Hello! I am looking at an apartment that is all electric and a friend told me this is way cheaper than gas. The leasing manager told me to expect the bill to be between $50-$70 a month, which seems to be pretty reasonable. Just wondering if this is all really true! I'm currently looking at two one bedroom floorplans, 1 that is 600sq ft. and 800sq ft. Anyone who has personally had all electric.. feel free to comment! Thanks.
All of my apts here have been total electric. With the exception of my last apt which had a design flaw in it which did not lead to great energy conservation (translation=higher than normal electric bills), I have had resonable electric bills.

Current apt is a 2/2 1100 sq ft and my latest electric bill was $68.00, previous month it was about $65.00 This apt has a pump system for heating/cooling so I think that is a big factor in keeping my bills down.

The key thing is to keep the thermostat setting just right. Another thing, my previous apt was a townhouse style apt and the heating system was the eletric heater. It was difficult keeping the upstairs cool in the summers and the downstairs warmer in the winters. Current apt is one level plus the heating/coling is a pump system so I think that is a big part in keeping the electirc bill level.

People I know that have had a gas and electric bill approach each month with fear as to how much their gas bill is going to be. A friend of mine had a 2br one/half bath under 1000sq ft and her gas bill was, to my best recollection never below 125.00 a month and of course she still had an electric bill to pay as well, but that was very reasonable

Another friend of mine swears that if you "lock into" a good therm rate with your gas company, you'll never have surprises every month about your gas bill.

With the exception of my last apt which was a town house, all of mine was single level total electric (either pump system or electric heating system) and I really didn't have a problem with my electric bill. Just keep the thermostat set at a reasonable temp and you should be okay.

Good luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta