Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times

Advertisements

Having the job in McDonough is good news for you. The south side is a whole lot less developed than the north side. You could live in Jackson or Locust Grove and have a more or less country lifestyle with a <20mi commute. Locust Grove is probably close enough that houses on several acres are less affordable now, but Jackson is a lot less affected by suburbanization.

From this standpoint, how Atlanta 'is' probably wouldn't mean very much to you. Just come to the city every so often for a museum or play or shopping or something, and spend most of your time out in the exurbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Esquire View Post
Thanks for this post. People were scaring the living daylights out of me with stories about Atlanta's traffic lol. Your post put me a little more at ease.
People here on this board will try and scare the crap out of you with regard to traffic. Some just don't know what really bad traffic is, or some only experience the bad spots in Atlanta.

I don't want to minimize the bad spots either. If you live in Cumming (Forsyth County) and you commute to downtown during nornal rush hour times, you will most likely sit in terrible traffic. Same for living in north Gwinnett and taking I-85 south.

Having said that, even that traffic isn't really any worse than a bad day on the LIE or at the GWB coming into NYC, or Rte 128 in the Boston area coming down from the north shore. Atlanta is a big city.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
...Unlike cities like NY or LA, you won't run into long waits at tunnels or bridges or traffic at night or on weekends.

... I find that many folks in Atlanta judge traffic by how Atlanta was 20 years ago, or by how traffic was in another small city. When you look at it by that yardstick, traffic is bad, but when you look at traffic in comparison to other large cities, it's not all that special.
Yes...and very accurate.

Good post.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM

257 posts, read 609,866 times
Testa50 - that sounds pretty good. I looked on google maps and can see the growth in the immediate Mcdonough area and a little to the south and alot to the north...So Jackson and to the southeast of Jackson would probably be the area I really look into.

What kind of commute would it be like from Jackson to Mcdonough?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,109 times
Things vary by region, but generally cities and towns have different sets of pros and cons. Atlanta being a bigger city might offer better pay and better job opportunities (then again maybe not because GA has been hit hard by the recession and pay is not as good in the south). What you will get in Atlanta is worse traffic, a slight uptick in pace of life, possibly higher COL (though it is the south so maybe not), and a hodge podge of people, some rude. The payoff is like I said, higher pay, better opportunity, better cultural amenities like museums and professional sports, tons of F500 companies, great medical care, great universities all over the metro, bla bla bla. Because Atl is in the south, the weather is undoubtedly better here (still a distinct change of seasons here, though

Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM

606 posts, read 2,004,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
People here on this board will try and scare the crap out of you with regard to traffic. Some just don't know what really bad traffic is, or some only experience the bad spots in Atlanta.

I don't want to minimize the bad spots either. If you live in Cumming (Forsyth County) and you commute to downtown during nornal rush hour times, you will most likely sit in terrible traffic. Same for living in north Gwinnett and taking I-85 south.

Having said that, even that traffic isn't really any worse than a bad day on the LIE or at the GWB coming into NYC, or Rte 128 in the Boston area coming down from the north shore. Atlanta is a big city.
Even in this terrible economy with so many people out of work, the traffic is still terrible ? You would think that with so many people not working, that would at least help ease traffic.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Even in this terrible economy with so many people out of work, the traffic is still terrible ? You would think that with so many people not working, that would at least help ease traffic.
Its still bad but not as bad in 07 or 08 imho...I-20 west is way easier in the morning. In the evening, it used to be gridlock to come back to the Eastside, most of times, its just heavy and slow but not a parking lot as years passed.

I've noticed even with the unemployment up that the backup start earlier these days. Probably due to the population growth so it shall be interesting in couple years when more people are back at work...

Last edited by PKCorey; 07-21-2010 at 05:07 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
In my opinion, it's not the volume of Atlanta traffic that is the problem. It's the drivers themselves. Atlanta drivers seem plagued by three things: an overwhelming sense of entitlement, a general lack of knowledge of most traffic laws/customs, and an obliviousness of the road outside of their 3' bubble. Driving in this city tests my patience as a human being every day....and I rarely even make it onto the interstate!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
In my opinion, it's not the volume of Atlanta traffic that is the problem. It's the drivers themselves. Atlanta drivers seem plagued by three things: an overwhelming sense of entitlement, a general lack of knowledge of most traffic laws/customs, and an obliviousness of the road outside of their 3' bubble. Driving in this city tests my patience as a human being every day....and I rarely even make it onto the interstate!
We have many transplants. No one has ever been certain how things got to this point. I can verify that several decades ago for whatever reasons driving was easier.

'Cell Phones'--gratified that a local TV station has launched a campaign to 'help' us understand that it is best to focus on driving--eliminate distractions. Be Safe.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
C'mon- unemployment is +/- 10%, and "normal unemployment" is around 5%, so we're talking about a +/- 5% change in the number of people who are working. While it's not a good thing for the folks who are out of work, it's a blip on the radar sceen when it comes to the number of cars on the road.

Also, at least for my commute, it's not the cars that cause the problems as much as the trucks, which create all kinds of mess as they try to get onto 75 north from 285.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta