Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We can do the lyrical thing. I am just as tough a critic as anyone. Jluke, like yourself, posted old videos because you said all of Houston rappers sound the same. His video and my videos basically told you that you are wrong with that comment. Besides, some of his videos are of rappers that came out 3-5 years ago.

I don't really care if Houston is better than Atlanta or vice versa. But Houston's music and hip hop scene takes a backseat to nobody in the South.
If you mean quality wise I agree,but if you mean exposure and popularity thats not true.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You should do some research before you open your mouth.But I don't blame you.Many people do not know these things.So let me educate you on Georgia and just how pivitol it has been in American Music

After her parents divorced, Simpson's mother moved the family to Atlanta, Georgia when she was thirteen . Simpson had taken up a succession of musical instruments throughout her schooling in Denver, but her interest in the guitar while attending the Savannah College of Art and Design, in Savannah, led to a personal revelation about songwriting and performing.

Wikapedia
She even claims Atlanta not Denver.Atlanta is where her mother was from.

Now onto this nonsense:

Actually you are VERY wrong.Credit is not often given to Georgia.But Georgia produced:
Thomas Dorsey
Villa Rica,Georgia
The Father of Gospel music in the 1920's.

Johnny Mercer
Savannah GA.

Johnny Mercer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A few of his famous hits:
YouTube - Jeepers Creepers 1958 Louis Armstrong and Jack Teagarden

YouTube - moon river-breakfast at tiffany´s

Ma Rainy-The Mother of Blues
Columbus.Georgia

YouTube - Roots of Blues -- Ma Rainey

Little Richard
born in Macon, Georgia
Richard Wayne Penniman (born December 5, 1932), known by the stage name Little Richard, is an American singer, songwriter, pianist and recording artist, considered key in the transition from rhythm and blues to rock and roll in the 1950s

Otis Redding:
Dawson,Georgia

YouTube - OTIS REDDING: (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay

Ra Charles:
Albany,Gerogia

There is more in the Country genre but Im tired.
So from Georgia came:the Architect of Rock and Roll,The Mother of Blues,King of Soul.AND the 2 best singer of ALL TIME.

The only thing you should honestly reply to say "is sorry I did not know".
OMG!I cannot believe I forgot another big one!James Brown!!!!The Godfather of Soul.Augusta ,Georgia.Many also give him credit of being the earliest rapper.Hip hop uses him as pivitol in its inception as a new music genre.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
You should do some research before you open your mouth.But I don't blame you.Many people do not know these things.So let me educate you on Georgia and just how pivitol it has been in American Music
What about R.E.M, the Allman Brothers, the Indigo Girls, Alan Jackson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Riley Puckett, Isaac Hayes, Trisha Yearwood, Joe South, Ronnie Milsap, the B-52s and Ray Stevens? Some of them were pretty big.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but at the same time, it cannot be denied that today's mainstream music is of much less quality than even mainstream in the 90s. atleast, that's the opinion most people have. but it's crazy for people to try to blame that on atlanta. it's the record companies fault. they're becoming more and more greedy as the years go by.
Do you actually have statistics to back that statement up? I can deny it all I want since it's, you know, SUBJECTIVE

Old 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Thank you!!!!!!.....all of these popular songs and artists have having a hard time selling cds and even harder time selling tickets for their tours. How many of the top 10 are canceling shows from their tours? Guess the popular music aint that popular after all. Obviously the music needs alot more saving.
Ticket selling has been more recent due to the recession. Album sales have gone down due to the MP3. MP3/AAC sales do not count under album sales. It makes sense why they aren't as big as the 90s album sales when you HAD to buy a CD to own the music or record it off the radio.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
If you mean quality wise I agree,but if you mean exposure and popularity thats not true.
I agree to extent. Now Houston's mainstream is obviously overshadowed by Atlanta's mainstream. But like I said earlier in the thread, Houston's hip hop scene is known for it's underground scene. It is heavily known throughout the nation and the world. Especially out in California where Houston's hip hop is pretty popular.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 PM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i never claimed these people were the face of the music scene. stop putting words in people's mouths. that whole quantity vs quality thing was really directed at tonygeorgia who was acting like atlanta was better in music simply because they had more artists on the pop charts. don't even act like that's not what he was implying

and how young do you have to be not be able to be an adult about this and respect other people's opinions? as if it's not okay that we feel houston rap is better. i'm guessing no older than 21....you thinking stat quo was a lyricist, that's fine, but he was lame in my opinion

you have no idea how much i know about the underground rap scene in atlanta, so you're really in no place to accuse me of not knowing what i'm talking about

Yes You better go off !!!!... No one is talking about Country Music... which was another genre of music that was brought up...

Where is Houston on the country music scene right now??? Is there Underground country music LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What about R.E.M, the Allman Brothers, the Indigo Girls, Alan Jackson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Riley Puckett, Isaac Hayes, Trisha Yearwood, Joe South, Ronnie Milsap, the B-52s and Ray Stevens? Some of them were pretty big.
Actually I thought about all of them but the person I answered was speaking of "ground breaking" type artist.The only one out oif the ones you mentioned that I think would fit that bill would be R.E.M

Old 07-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Yes You better go off !!!!... No one is talking about Country Music... which was another genre of music that was brought up...

Where is Houston on the country music scene right now??? Is there Underground country music LOL
Not to mention the Neo-Soul element in Atlanta has really taken off.Houston is not known for that but Dallas is.Ie Erykah Badu,N'dambi etc.And of course Atlanta wins in R&B as well.But Hip Hop is not just rap so you can say Houstons quality is better in rap but not necessarily in Hip Hop which is blurred with other genres like R&B and Neo-Soul

Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
Quote:
Not to mention the Neo-Soul element in Atlanta has really taken off.Houston is not known for that but Dallas is.Ie Erykah Badu,N'dambi etc.And of course Atlanta wins in R&B as well.But Hip Hop is not just rap so you can say Houstons quality is better in rap but not necessarily in Hip Hop which is blurred with other genres like R&B and Neo-Soul

So Atlanta mainstream Artist are better (Minus The Fun rap music), and Houstons underground scene is better Correct... Atlanta does excel in Music period when it comes too popular music NEO soul,gospel, R&B. Country. Rock etc They need to get POP music up.. I know EVE was just in Atlanta working on her upcoming album.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta