Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"anyone ever decide to relocate just because realestate is way more affordable? "

...and the job that pays the mortgage just happens to appear by osmosis!?
Some of us are able to work anywhere we want, or in my case, I was able to do my job anywhere on the east coast. I could make the same compensation in Atlanta as I did in Massachusetts, but with a lower cost of living. Moving was on me, but the company didn't care.

Looking back, I probably should have gone all the way to FL. No income tax and less southern, with better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM

27 posts, read 86,735 times
gawd, where do I find a job like that, or the work from home people..
so jealous

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Some of us are able to work anywhere we want, or in my case, I was able to do my job anywhere on the east coast. I could make the same compensation in Atlanta as I did in Massachusetts, but with a lower cost of living. Moving was on me, but the company didn't care.

Looking back, I probably should have gone all the way to FL. No income tax and less southern, with better weather.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM

27 posts, read 86,735 times
We kind of do have intentions of waiting to do this when markets get better. Just trying to prep a bit...while we have an opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
On two occasions, I made the plunge and moved South and found jobs. On both occasions, I had no job lined up. The move to Atlanta was in 2004. At the time I had an Accounting degree and very little experience. It took five weeks to find a job.

BUT

That was in a favorable economic environment. Perhaps you can call some of the better known employment staffing agencies and ask about the job market. You can get a feel for what jobs are available, and get a head start on looking.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM

11 posts, read 18,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llrain73 View Post
gawd, where do I find a job like that, or the work from home people..
so jealous

\
Software Engineers can work from home. The greatness of remote desktops! See I am from South STL and just rented my first Apt in Midtown and I thought it was pricey to live in ATL lol. It is all about perspective.

I know there are 2 bdrm apts around my old house that were under $800 a month in a really nice area. My two buddies just had a giant 2 bdrm apartment with full kitchen, dining room, and sun room (and all of these were as big as what you would expect in a home) for $1000 a month in the city).

I also looked at the housing market because I had a job lined up but decided to go to ATL for grad school and you could get a nice starter home around where I live for $150K. 2 bed, 2 bath a little less then 1/2 acre. They are rare but those corner lots exist!

All of this is why I think I can never move to the west coast or northeast.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Some of us are able to work anywhere we want...

Exception to the majority of the US work force- as I was implying.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Exception to the majority of the US work force- as I was implying.
Correct. Definitely the exception, but more and more large high-tech companies operate with virtual teams, where most people work from home. With IM, e-mail, VoIP, video conferencing, and fat Internet pipes at home, you can do as much or more from a home office, anywhere you want. The days of going to a fixed office everyday are long gone for many people.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:18 AM

47 posts, read 110,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
TONS of NY'ers do it DAILY
I am one of them!! My husband and I will be moving 1/2 cus of what we can get for our money and 1/2 because my husband can get more work down there. I can't wait to save up for a home and not worry about making a down payment on a $700,000 shoebox. haha.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Correct. Definitely the exception, but more and more large high-tech companies operate with virtual teams, where most people work from home. With IM, e-mail, VoIP, video conferencing, and fat Internet pipes at home, you can do as much or more from a home office, anywhere you want. The days of going to a fixed office everyday are long gone for many people.
Many of us could do that in theory, but can't due to company policy, although I can see that changing over time. I mostly work with people on other continents anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
If New York City, Boston, the Cape, Nantucket, Maine, etc. are boring, just wait until you spend a month in Atlanta and have seen it all.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
If New York City, Boston, the Cape, Nantucket, Maine, etc. are boring, just wait until you spend a month in Atlanta and have seen it all.
That's hogwash...I've spent 20 years in Atlanta and haven't seen it all. Of course some of that is because I stay so busy, but it's also because there is so much to see and do. If you think you've seen all Atlanta has to offer in one month then you are overlooking 99% of the possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta