Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,633,008 times

Advertisements

According to Bloomberg Buisness Week, Atlanta ranks 4th out of the 30 largest cities in the United States for college grads. According to the article, "Good pay, affordability, and jobs made the South shine this year. Seven Southern cities, including five in Texas, joined the list, and Houston is No. 1" (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10...ideShows_ssi_5)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
According to Bloomberg Buisness Week, Atlanta ranks 4th out of the 30 largest cities in the United States for college grads. According to the article, "Good pay, affordability, and jobs made the South shine this year. Seven Southern cities, including five in Texas, joined the list, and Houston is No. 1" (Best Cities for New College Grads: Advice for Jobseekers: Head South - BusinessWeek)!
The economy must be better than I thought if the south is the place to be for jobs.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM

143 posts, read 344,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
The economy must be better than I thought if the south is the place to be for jobs.
Compared to a lot of northern cities that were experiencing slower growth (or no growth) to begin with before the recession started, the south is doing relatively well.

And this is just anecdotal experience, but I know a great deal of people who have graduated from college in the past two years (myself included, at the beginning of that time frame) and found jobs in Atlanta in their desired fields without much delay. More than a couple of them had multiple offers, too. Unemployment isn't distributed evenly throughout the workforce, so perhaps there are more jobs for young professionals in Atlanta then there are for people who are looking for something new mid-career or for those without degrees.

Just a hypothesis, but it would explain my own personal experience as well as that ranking.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM

950 posts, read 3,179,376 times
Quote:
According to Bloomberg Buisness Week, Atlanta ranks 4th out of the 30 largest cities in the United States for college grads. According to the article, "Good pay, affordability, and jobs made the South shine this year. Seven Southern cities, including five in Texas, joined the list, and Houston is No. 1" (Best Cities for New College Grads: Advice for Jobseekers: Head South - BusinessWeek)!
Not out of 30 largest cities. Some of the cities on the list are not bigger than Atlanta.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:

Awesome.

Dynamic Atlanta.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I don't know. Two articles I just read today regarding Atlanta and Georgia:

Metro Atlanta unemployment jumps to 10.3 percent | The Biz Beat

Georgia 50th in Job Losses

Hopefully there is a turn around soon.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:52 AM

431 posts, read 940,136 times
Looks about right: Fortune 500 2009: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM

468 posts, read 787,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

Scarface the wierd part is people are still finding jobs and Young professionals are still moving here.. I wonder with the people who lost jobs what industries do they work in... because 2 of my friends filed for unemployment but they worked at wal mart..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

Hmm, so Atlanta is the place to be for young people to find jobs, yet unemployment in metro Atlanta continues to grow, and Georgia is 50th in Job Losses. Something doesn't add up.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,512,397 times
Is anyone else as confused as I am about that '50th in job losses" headline? The headline reads as a positive, as if Ga is at or near the bottom when it comes to jobs lost but it is actually saying that the state has lost more jobs than just about any state except California which has at least 3 x Ga's population.

I had thought Ga was doing moderately well through this recession but apparently it's not.

On the actual topic at hand, I feel I made a big mistake by not moving out of Atlanta as soon as I finished college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta