Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Do you feel those events will over run local hotels? Most of the gay black already live here, would they need hotels? Chick fil a Kickoff may have some pull...who is playing?
No, they really don't all already live here - that is nothing more than a myth. Their HQ's hotel is the new Loew's, for example.

Don't know about the ballgame really, but Dragoncon is HUGE. That alone takes over practically all of the Downtown rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, they really don't all already live here - that is nothing more than a myth. Their HQ's hotel is the new Loew's, for example.

Don't know about the ballgame really, but Dragoncon is HUGE. That alone takes over practically all of the Downtown rooms.
Wow. I wonder what the owner of the Loews was on when he agreed to be the HQ for that event.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM

562 posts, read 1,789,953 times
Haha agreed. It is an interesting site this week with some of these people walking around. But at least that bran new hotel is not going to have to worry about a bunch of drunk football fans thrashing the place. According to the AJC there will be 400,000 people coming in for all the events..DragonCom, Chick-Fil-A bowl, GSU's first football game ever, Gay Pride, and the Latin Festival. I dont see a whole lot of construction going on in the next few years. I would say most of the things planned are now dead, or on hold for a very long time. There is a huge oversupply of condos, so there would be no reason to keep building them, look at all these places that have gone into forclosure or very close...W, Twleve, the Atlantic, and the list goes on. Hotelwise there may be 1 or two new ones coming in, but I doubt a lot more. Some are even getting sold off- Marriott Renessiance in Midtown is one that comes to mind. I dont see a new Falcons stadium anytime soon. No taxpayer wants to foot that bill, and to tell you the truth I dont think there is any money for it anyway with these cash strapped counties. Hapeville was talked about for a new "atlantic station type area" and possibly a new falcons stadium. But really, I dont see that happening, not many people want to move to the southside of atlanta, esp with the surrounding communties of hapeville and crime, plus airport noise. Plus Atlantic Station fizzled out without getting completed (or at least is on hold), so what makes anyone think a brand new one 20 mins from the city is going to work? The thing I have seen a lot of is the Universities expanding. GSU, Georgia Tech, and several others are buying surrounding property and building dorms, more classrooms, etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
I dont see a new Falcons stadium anytime soon. No taxpayer wants to foot that bill, and to tell you the truth I dont think there is any money for it anyway with these cash strapped counties.
Plus the Falcons don't need or deserve it.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

562 posts, read 1,789,953 times
Haha True, let them win a superbowl and then we'll talk!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 AM

747 posts, read 1,543,703 times
Good news for Midtown:Fisher & Phillips HQ heads to Midtown | Atlanta Business Chronicle
[LEFT]
Labor and employment law firm Fisher & Phillips LLP is headed soon to a new headquarters in Midtown.

On Nov. 15, the firm will be base on two floors of 1075 Peachtree Street, a new building in the 12th & Midtown development near the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. It has had its Atlanta HQ in Buckhead for the past 22 years.

[LEFT]And this was interesting: “Midtown is the heart of the city with a great deal of energy and is home to several of the city’s other leading law firms,” said Fisher & Phillips chairman and managing partner Roger Quillen, in a statement.[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

I wonder if he meant Midtown is the heart of the city in the sense that it's between downtown and Buckhead, or did he imply that Midtown is the new Downtown?

[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 11-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I wonder if he meant Midtown is the heart of the city in the sense that it's between downtown and Buckhead, or did he imply that Midtown is the new Downtown?
The city is evolving, and a lot of people do indeed consider Midtown to be the "new" Downtown.

Consider that the Federal Reserve moved there, along with almost all of the leading law firms. King & Spalding actually occupies the majority of 1180 Peachtree (Symphony Center), Alston & Bird takes up a huge amount of space in One Atlantic Center (IBM tower), the FDIC's regional HQ's are on 10th St., as are PriceWaterhouseCooper's, etc. When Invesco moved here from London, they also settled in Midtown. I think this trend will only continue.

All of this used to be Downtown. Downtown has evolved into more of a Convention, Government, Wholesale Trade (AmericasMart), tourism district.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,390 times
I've been meaning to ask and maybe it has already been addressed on this forum, but does anyone know what's planned for that fenced off lot on peachtree between 4th and 5th street in Midtown?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I've been meaning to ask and maybe it has already been addressed on this forum, but does anyone know what's planned for that fenced off lot on peachtree between 4th and 5th street in Midtown?
Here you go:
Developer, church to make mark on 'Midtown Mile' | Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,390 times
Thank you Sir,

I'm sure plans have changed quite a bit from the boutique hotel but hopefully the 40,000sq. of retail is still in the works. (crossing fingers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta