Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 AM

479 posts, read 702,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Nice, long conversation you guys had there.

I have an uncle like Bullbear that spews nonsense similar to his. He still lives in South Africa (of all places)
(The one the family chooses to ignore ).

No matter what you do, there will always be that kind of superiority talk/mentality. He won't read books you suggested, while you opened your mind to read some he suggested. That already says something. Hope he's from the old school, on his way out. The world doesn't have space for these types of mindsets anymore.

My mother always said: "Don't waste your time arguing with a fool, after a while people won't know the difference". (Her words)

And back to the program.
Sorry to disappoint, Ive got at least 4 or 5 decades left, according to family DNA, at least. No dancing on my grave quite yet!

And what a strange coincidence!! My mother always said "Dont waste your time listening to foolish nonsense coming from the mouths of the ignorant" (her words)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand where you're coming from and that may be a wise decision. But again, it's a personal choice. For those who began moving to Kirkwood and East Lake 15 years ago, it was definitely "pioneering" with substantial risk. The folks I'm talking about could have said, "I'm playing it safe and staying on the Dave Ramsey plan -- we'll get a safe place place in the suburbs and hope the value doesn't go down." Instead, they chose to stick their necks out on the belief that in the long run they could turn their intown neighborhoods around and that they'd eventually become desirable again. They did this although many people were telling them they were crazy.

Personally I'm not a risk taker either. But you have to give credit to those who are willing to take a chance, to put themselves and their families on the line, and to do the long hard work of bringing a community back to a safe, vibrant place. Many of them did not have resources backing them, so they had everything at stake. They could have fallen on their faces, and their rewards only came after years of work and risk.
Good post. I think people who can do that, as someone else posted a few days ago are DINKs, or if they have kids, can afford to put them in private schools. I can respect people who go against the grain, to accomplish such feats. Very risky, but obviously rewarding (when things turn around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Sorry to disappoint, Ive got at least 4 or 5 decades left, according to family DNA, at least. No dancing on my grave quite yet!

And what a strange coincidence!! My mother always said "Dont waste your time listening to foolish nonsense coming from the mouths of the ignorant" (her words)
RATS.....Let's hope they're wrong on the family DNA.

Like the famous comedian Chris Rock said: "Whatever you hate, your kids will bring home"...

You grandson is going to what be you don't like. Hope you give him that speech/logic then..

Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:

RATS.....Let's hope they're wrong on the family DNA.

Like the famous comedian Chris Rock said: "Whatever you hate, your kids will bring home"...

You grandson is going to what be you don't like. Hope you give him that speech/logic then..
BTW, I dont preach or tell anyone how they should think - grandchildren or otherwise.

And please show me where I used the word "hate" or expressed desire for the death of anyone else.

But gosh you have now expressed the wish, twice, that early/soon death befall me. What a very hateful thing to do.

Perhaps you should practice what you preach. Otherwise, your grandkids will bring me home!

BTW, I dont consider Chris Rock one of the world's great philosophers. I recognize in your book that makes me a racist/hater. But of course I go for those more traditional types - you know, the ones that are dying out.....

"What does not destroy me makes me stronger"
"When it comes to species, its not the survival of the strongest, but rather the survival of the most adaptable"

Last edited by Bullbear; 08-13-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 06:46 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Default correction/error

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Bullbear = Blue and Red
equinox63 = Black

There are plenty of white people who have more privlege that me. I was not invited to the
Clinton wedding.
Just a quick correction. This line is not mine... I'm out.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
BTW, I dont preach or tell anyone how they should think - grandchildren or otherwise.
Glad to hear. Not that they'd listen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear
And please show me where I used the word "hate" or expressed desire for the death of anyone else.
Relax, I was being facetious. I wish that on no man or woman, black or white.

Quote:
But gosh you have now expressed the wish, twice, that early/soon death befall me. What a very hateful thing to do.
You're still standing, aren't you?

Quote:
Perhaps you should practice what you preach. Otherwise, your grandkids will bring me home!
Listen, I have three grandparents that are white, and one that is black. You do the math. I have relatives like you on one side of the family. I have more than enough of you.

Quote:
BTW, I dont consider Chris Rock one of the world's great philosophers. I recognize in your book that makes me a racist/hater. But of course I go for those more traditional types - you know, the ones that are dying out.....
Read above. If it quacks like a duck, you know the rest.

Quote:
"What does not destroy me makes me stronger"
"When it comes to species, its not the survival of the strongest, but rather the survival of the most adaptable"
These quotes sure didn't come from you...Only a wise man would say such thing, lol...

BACK TO the Program!!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM

Quick question, out of curiousity, does anyone know anything about Summer Hill? I was watching something on TV last night (HGTV, btw) and they were doing some Curb Appeal work (The show is called "Curb Appeal The Block", iirc), and the area is located intown, or very close to it iirc from what they were saying on the show.

Does anyone know if the area mentioned went through gentrification?

If so, contrary to what Arjay was saying, I noticed quite a bit of African Americans on the program/living in the area, moreso than Caucasians. Can anyone elaborate on that area, and its history? I'd like to know if the area was always stable, and if unlike other intown areas that were gentrified, were the pioneers African Americans in this case? Most of the homeowners were seemingly African American professionals (dare I say DINKS).

I'm asking, since the first thing that came to mind was this thread when I was watching the show.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear. Not that they'd listen..

Im sure my grandchildren appreciate your speaking on their behalf...or maybe not....

You're still standing, aren't you?

In fact, Im not only standing, Im THRIVING.

Listen, I have three grandparents that are white, and one that is black. You do the math. I have relatives like you on one side of the family. I have more than enough of you.

Gosh, I feel so chastened by your moral preening, pedantic musings and blatant self aggrangizement. I bow to your obvious superiority

Read above. If it quacks like a duck, you know the rest.

Quack quack, dont look back!

These quotes sure didn't come from you...Only a wise man would say such thing, lol...

One from Nietzsche, the other from Darwin. You know, dead, old worthless white dudes who have no relevance today.
Carry on

Old 08-14-2010, 11:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Quick question, out of curiousity, does anyone know anything about Summer Hill? I was watching something on TV last night (HGTV, btw) and they were doing some Curb Appeal work (The show is called "Curb Appeal The Block", iirc), and the area is located intown, or very close to it iirc from what they were saying on the show.

Does anyone know if the area mentioned went through gentrification?

If so, contrary to what Arjay was saying, I noticed quite a bit of African Americans on the program/living in the area, moreso than Caucasians. Can anyone elaborate on that area, and its history? I'd like to know if the area was always stable, and if unlike other intown areas that were gentrified, were the pioneers African Americans in this case? Most of the homeowners were seemingly African American professionals (dare I say DINKS).

I'm asking, since the first thing that came to mind was this thread when I was watching the show.
Well, I wasn't talking about Summerhill. I was addressing equinox63's assertion that blacks have been economically excluded from participation in the revival of neighborhoods like Kirkwood, East Lake and Oakhurst.

Blacks have in fact participated very extensively in the gentrification of Summerhill, Peoplestown, West End and many other older neighborhoods. As I've said, it's largely a matter of choice.

Here's some history on Summerhill. It was hit very hard by "urban renewal" and the constrution of the freeways and the original Atlanta stadium. There were very serious issues of environmental justice raised by those developments.

Summerhill Atlanta - Summerhill History

Old 08-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Carry on
Aggrangizement? Don't you mean Aggrandizement? Shame on me for even bothering with you in the first place. The Bullbears of the world (SMH).... You have something to say next time, DM instead. Don't waste our time with your diatribes. Let this thread move on. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I wasn't talking about Summerhill. I was addressing equinox63's assertion that blacks have been economically excluded from participation in the revival of neighborhoods like Kirkwood, East Lake and Oakhurst.

Blacks have in fact participated very extensively in the gentrification of Summerhill, Peoplestown, West End and many other older neighborhoods. As I've said, it's largely a matter of choice.

Here's some history on Summerhill. It was hit very hard by "urban renewal" and the constrution of the freeways and the original Atlanta stadium. There were very serious issues of environmental justice raised by those developments.

Summerhill Atlanta - Summerhill History

Thank you so much, Arjay. I checked the link. I've been in that area, and didn't know what it was called. I'm curious, what's all the talk about people saying how horrible it is by that area (If we're speaking of the area near the Braves Ballpark?/(on the other side of the interstate)) Is there also a stigma with some people who don't live there, thinking it's a horrible area, simply because there are many black residents?

I say this because people on this forum have exaggerated quite a bit when it came to some black areas in Metro Atlanta. I've been to areas people have called ghetto/warzones , when in fact they were not.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Aggrangizement? Don't you mean Aggrandizement? Shame on me for even bothering with you in the first place. The Bullbears of the world (SMH).... You have something to say next time, DM instead. Don't waste our time with your diatribes. Let this thread move on.
Really, you are going to claim "victory" over a typo? Congrats for a well constructed final argIment...(oh look another typo, guess that invalidates all that I have said )

And so sorry, didnt realize you spoke on behalf of everyone here: "...waste our time..."

The bullbears of the world... we are legion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta