U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 17,688 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. This is my first time posting so I will try to be short and sweet. We are going to be moving to GA next summer (08). What I really want to know about are the little towns or the the best little towns to move to. We have four children 13, 10, 9 and 5 years of age. I have investigated covington and mcdonough areas. I liked covington first but more recently I have found that mcdonough might be a better choice. Of course the schools are very important to us. We are moving to georgia from delaware. Our children are doing very well in the school that they are in now (honor roll each of them). It seems like there are more people moving out of Covington and I have not been able to figure out why. Is the crime in that area higher than being reported??

Another big reason for our move to georgia is the weather. We love the warm weather. Longer summers and mild winters. The older I get the more I hate winter. Which area would be warmer or would they be about the same? I would love to hear back from anyone with honest information about both areas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 4,342 times
I work in Covington cause there seems to be more jobs there than where I live (Monroe) were actually moving out of Ga soon because im so tired of these people. Almost everyone ive met since ive been here (3 yrs) cannot read or spell correctly. I dont know about McDonough ive just drove through it a few times but if you want something thats not so far from away from civilization covingtons good. McDonough is a bit busier since its right by i75 and closer to Atl. thats basically where alot of people who work in Atl live so around rush hour (7am-10am & 3pm-7pm) plan on sitting in traffic for a couple hours. not sure about the crime rate in covington, i work at the hospital and its just as normal as every place else, i would think Mcdonoughs crime rate would be more since its more of a city than covington, i used to live in Fl also and was glad I left, now im very anxious to leave Ga as well. There very strict laws here, ignorant people and prices are high. even the labor law is ridiculous. Your employer "can" give you a lunch & reg breaks if he "wants" to. The Ga law says employees are not required to have reg breaks or lunch breaks. Hopefully your job is lenient.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 58,706 times
Wink Love both Covington AND McDonough!

I could not choose between the two cities, so I live on the border just over the Covington/Newton County line. McDonough is more concentrated with humans, but still has a great "backwoods" feel. The square is fun, there are festivals many times a year, and the crime rate is not bad at all. I worked for a law firm in McDonough and loved the atmosphere tremendously. I did not care for Stockbridge, which is a little North of McDonough, but more like Atlanta. Still both are in Henry County.

In Covington, you are less than 15 miles from McDonough. We do not have emissions requirements and our homes are priced far less than those just across the county line built by the same builder, etc.

We have great schools- I am a public school teacher who moved from Florida where my son was always privately schooled. I chose to place him in public school after touring the facilities here because they were better equipped with computers and other items, which I felt would be good for him.

Folks are kind and generous here. I would have no clue what stats would say folks are leaving, though. I am at a new elementary school that upon opening two years ago has found itself packed with kids. A new elementary school (two story!!!) will be ready to go in August of 08. Three or so more elementary schools, two more middle schools, and another high school will be here in the next five or so years. The churches are strong and crime is not bad. I have not felt the need to lock doors where I live since arriving. Further, my keys and purse are in the car and nothing has ever been taken. That is too trusting of me, I know, but even idiots like me seem safe!

We have arts programs, kid programs (unlike Florida did), fairs, carnivals, charity events, strong churches, great scouting programs, and we are just minutes from Atlanta- which as you know has EVERYTHING! We even have a great YMCA, plenty of safe daycares, and the fact that our justice system is rough is what I wanted.... even though I have lost more than I have won personally.

I found Covington to be more cost-effective. Both are great cities, though!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 PM

10 posts, read 42,032 times
I am thinking about purchasing a home in Mountain View estates. I am 60 years old, female, and divorced. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions?
KT

Old 08-27-2007, 11:48 AM

129 posts, read 579,789 times
I don't know much about Covington, I lived in McDonough for 6years, it is changing alot some good , some not so good... If school is important to you and your family then you should do some research on the East Lake/Union Grove schools or the Ola schools.. Honestly those are the only 2 "areas" that I would even consider sending my kids too.. We were in one of the worst school zones and finally had to move out of the area so we could have a better school district! Mcdonough over all is very nice and family friendly but just make sure you do your homework on what schools you will be sending your kids too, and above all be an involved parent on the pta etc!
Good luck to your family~

Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 AM

Thank you so much for the information that you have provided me. Throughout all of my research I keep coming back to Covington. I don't know why but I love everthing about it. My family will be visiting the area again in October. This a big move us and we to make the best of it. Would happen to know anything about Legacey Communities. This is the builder that we are looking into buying a house with. I work in admin in the healthcare field, which hospital are good in the newton and henry county areas other than emory? If you could provide any information towards these question it would also be a big help. Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 06:48 AM

Which hospital do you work for? If you don't mind me asking. I also work in healthcare in admin. I would like to stay close to the area instead of driving 45min to work in Atl. What are some of the hospital in the henry and newton county areas? Are the jobs plentiful in the hospitals?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,865 times
Moving to Mountain view estates would be a great place to live but there a children and teens around there some teen are not up to no good but no one should bother you its usually a quiet place.Good for someone in there 60s

Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM

325 posts, read 853,132 times
I have lived in McDonough and Covington. I must say I prefer McDonough because of it's small town feel, but people there are very nice. Covington isn't bad either but it's still in it's growing stages. It's going to be oversaturated shortly with people pushing out from Stone Mountain and Conyers bc. homes are very reasonable. Homes are extremely reasonable in the McDonough area as well. My recommendation: McDonough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or