U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,260 times

Advertisements

Here is my dilema--My husband and I have heard College Park is "reinventing" itself and would like to know the best places to live that have good high schools and a good diversity of races. We had family that lived right off Virgina Ave on Temple and we know that have done some things in that area to improve it. My husband is a contractor, so we are looking for a "fixer up" home. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,063 times
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to buy a house in Atlanta or close to it. There are a lot of homes in College Park that are so reasonable, and by looking at the pictures it seems like they are in developments that look nice. I actually plan on flying out there with my husband in a couple of weeks to take a look for myself, but if anyone could give me some info on this area I would appreciate it. I am also married with two young children and a teacher myself, so the schools are very important to me. If you have any info regarding the school system that would be appreciated also, thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:12 PM

340 posts, read 1,414,235 times
I don't think you can find a school you like in that area. Good schools are in or close to Buckhead area. There are two high schools in Atlanta which I think are decent: Grady High and North Atlanta High. Furhter out you can find Chamblee High and Druid Hill High. Then you might look at Metro Atlanta.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,912 times
Welcome to Clayton County...thats all I know.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM

563 posts, read 2,506,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Welcome to Clayton County...thats all I know.
Most, if not all of the city of College Park is in Fulton County. The parts of College Park that are in Clayton are unincorporated and seeing that the OP was talking about Virginia Ave...is completely different from that area.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,122,912 times
Doh!!!..........

Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM

168 posts, read 471,781 times
Well, there happens to be the largest independent school in the country and one of, if not the, best one in Atlanta right there in the heart of College Park. Woodward Academy. The best area of town is along Rugby Avenue which dead ends at Woodward. I keep hearing about this renewal of College Park, but driving around there two weeks ago, not much progress was apparent, at least as far as shopping and restaurants along Main Street.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,873 times
Lightbulb Historic College Park!

Stephanie and Windu. I live in the area that Windu is talking about. Woodward is a great school. Probably one of the best if not the best in ATL. However, it IS expensive. You could check that out on their website. The area you were talking about Windu, is called Historic College Park. The area is trying very hard to 'reinvent' itself. The area is EXCELLENT as far as location is concerned, and that is a main concern because the traffic in Atlanta is unbelieveable. It is positioned with very good access to main highways headed north, south, east & west! It also has a rapid rail depot, MARTA. The area is close to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport thus home to some airline employees. At one time this area was the home of some of ATL's most aristocratic families....until the 60's. The public schools here are not good. There is a move afoot to start a Charter School, and hopefully, that will transpire. There are several good private schools within 10 or so miles, and with easy access to the interstate it is no problem to get there. Our Lady Of Mercy Catholic High School, Fairburn, GA is one of the best kept secrets in ATL, and is only about 5 yrs old. Landmark Christian School, in Fairburn is an old established school. Both have great circulum. The Bedford School in Fairburn for LD children is great. The College Park city government fights among itself. It seems to be racially divided. This has held the area back. About a year or two ago the city counsel voted to fire the city's new Development Director, who had brought about much needed change to the area. This person had a personality that some did not like, and others did not like things about the person's personal life. Change comes hard to an old neighborhood like this. Anyway, the 'reinvention' has stalled somewhat since the departure of that individual. It is one of the oldest neighborhood in Atlanta and used to be home to several Colleges, men's and women's Colleges and a woman's 'finishing school', thus the name, College Park. Presently, there is 'in-fill' development going on....new homes being built on vacant property....where it can be found. And some older homes are being renovated to look like new ones. Woodward has recently finished a huge grade school off of Rugby, so this should bring in more people who want to live in the area to avoid the ATL traffic. The area is worth a second look. It depends on what kind of lifestyle you are seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or