U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 01:32 AM

33 posts, read 141,428 times

Advertisements

Haha quite a mix, yes, but here's my situation:

Might be working for Frito-Lay starting May 2008 and I'll have my choice of working at either office:

Lawrenceville
Decatur (285 @ Flat Shoals Rd)
or an office on Fulton Industrial near Six Flags

My sig. other is an elementary school teacher and we will be renting our first 1-2 years of living up there Our budget is probably $1200/mo for rent, and we're looking for nice rental homes or gated apartment communities.

Based on good schools, good places to rent, good shopping (meaning nice stores, and lots of em) less traffic/commute, less bar scenes....which office should I pick?

Also, what are some good elementary schools in the area of the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 AM

Oh yes please note: we're both willing to do a 30-45 min commute to work/good schools, so if the nice areas/school districts are spread apart/not close to the office, then thats fine. If the good school has to be away from the office, and the home has to be away from the other 2, then thats cool, too. We just want to live in a nice, quiet place, she wants to work in a nice school, and we don't mind driving to get there.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Can anyone help?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,405,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askelly728 View Post
Can anyone help?
I am trying to think --I'm on the other side of this area.

Click 'Search' at the top of the page and you will find a list of threads relevant to keywords.

-Lawrenceville/NE
Dacula, Auburn, Winder and other towns which I cannot recall at this moment

--Decatur/Flat Shoals/SE you might do well in Conyers/Henry County.

-- Fulton Industrial/SW---
(according to this map--Douglasville or Powder Springs--somewhere in that vicinity. A poster 'atlantagreg' knows Powder Springs. You could look for his posts or PM him.)

six flags over ga - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/yoxqup - broken link)

I just don't know what to advise. Stay as close to your place of employment is possible--terrible traffic all over the metro area.

good luck

sls

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,508,095 times
Check out Powder Springs if you end up near Fulton Industrial.

There are some pretty good schools out there, and you'll get more house for your money out there in comparison to the other areas in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM

40 posts, read 333,834 times
Default City of Decatur schools are top notch

If you are 285 and Flat Shoals, you are not too far from the city of Decatur. They have great schools. They have their own school system separate from the DeKalb County system. You have to be within the city limits of Decatur though to be in the city system. The surrounding county system is spotty at best.

City of Decatur is getting really expensive though - you'd have to look around to find sth reasonable.

I would think that Lawrenceville would have some good schools, but I'm not to familiar with that area. Ft. Mac - I can't think of any good schools down there.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 PM

167 posts, read 679,496 times
I heard they are making big changes in the East Point, College Park, Fort McPhearson area. I don't know much about the schools, but I heard the area is a great place to live. The previous poster was correct, Decatur has excellent schools, but DeKalb County does not. Douglasville and Powder Springs have decent reputations too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or