Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,504 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a house. Since it has to be large enough to share with his parents within the next five years, we are looking OTP. We are having a difficult time deciding between Roswell, Woodstock and Marietta. Which would be best for families with children? We have a son in 8th grade, a 2 year old daughter, and will have one more in the next couple years. Daycare is not an issue, as I am a SAHM.

In addition to choosing a city, are there neighborhood recommendations in any of these? Is one city more affordable than the others considering the following list? Here are the things we'd like:

1. A variety of local activities for kids, families and seniors.
2. We are not looking for a pretentious neighborhood.
3. We will likely homeschool the younger two, so a strong homeschooling community would be awesome!
4. A good high school for our oldest son. Though we want the school to be good, we are not looking for something overrun with mostly upper-class kids. A little diversity would be good. The school DS is currently attending is full of kids who are preoccupied with whose family has the most expensive car, who wears $300 shoes, etc. DS is tired of it, to say the least.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Do you have a specific price range?

Is the length of commute to employment a consideration?

--'Roswell, Woodstock or Marietta'--

Several of the high achieving high schools are located in East Cobb county--'near Marietta' but distinctly different. Walton High School ranks at the top of many lists--others more informed on this school system can provide more specific FYI. Lassiter is further north, yet still in East Cobb, IIRC, and is possibly the type of school you desire.
This thread covers Sandy Springs, East Cobb, East Roswell and Dunwoody>>>
Panic - Just found out we are being relo'd to Atl in 1 month! - Schools?

Woodstock--that would be Cherokee County- or possibly portions of Woodstock are in Cobb or another county. Several posters state that they are satisfied with the quality of education --there are numerous posts comparing specific neighborhoods and schools.
Posts #8 & 9 in this thread reference Woodstock/Cherokee county schools--and there is relevant FYI on other neighborhoods that might be appropriate for your family.>>>
Suggest suburb close to Atlanta w/great high schools

Roswell--is located in Fulton County and again there are numerous posts on specific neighborhoods and schools.
Here's a thread Roswell/Alpharetta--both in North Fulton County>>
Public Schools Roswell/Alpharetta - any good?

After school activities and family oriented activities would be available in each city/town/location.

Homeschooling--there are support networks throughout the metro area--I believe the numbers would vary from county to county.

You can search this thread individually--it is a 'Sticky' posted at the top of the forum and contains so much FYI on metro Atlanta schools that I couldn't begin to select relevant sections for you.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

Look at the top of the screen --R--and use the 'Search this thread' function. Click the link prior to searching.

ie--'Cherokee County'/Search This Thread--I found a post asking a question about Cherokee County/post #161---not certain of where the answer to the query can be found.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post4517825

hth

ETA: From June '09/AJC/51 Top GA Schools>>>
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/06/14/best_schools.html (broken link)

'Schools on the list represent the top 6 percent of public schools in the U.S.

Walton High School in East Cobb is Georgia’s highest ranking school, earning the No. 90 spot. Twelve schools in Cobb County made the list, along with Marietta High School.'

http://www.bestatlantaschool.com/

Last edited by TakeAhike; 08-02-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,504 times
Thanks for all the info!

We'd like to keep the cost below $400k. Well below would be a bonus.

His commute from any of those is likely to be vastly improved, as he works in Alpharetta right off 400.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenc7237 View Post
Thanks for all the info!

We'd like to keep the cost below $400k. Well below would be a bonus.

His commute from any of those is likely to be vastly improved, as he works in Alpharetta right off 400.
I think you would get more for your $ in Cherokee County --not certain how the commute would be to Alpharetta.

There are parts of Roswell and Marietta that would probably be options for the type of home you hope to buy/build--
'Since it has to be large enough to share with his parents within the next five years, we are looking OTP. We are having a difficult time deciding between Roswell, Woodstock and Marietta. Which would be best for families with children? We have a son in 8th grade, a 2 year old daughter, and will have one more in the next couple years.'

Would you want a separate guest house--maybe a 4 BDR/basement--I am not the person to advise you on the construction of homes. lol-Several other posters have such expertise.
Marietta>>>
moving to the marietta area

I believe several posters have said that there are parts of Alpharetta which are more reasonably priced--lol--I live ITP/Inside the Perimeter and am not well-informed on Alpharetta and areas OTP/Outside the Perimeter. There are many threads on specific subdivisions in this area.

In this post the OP wants to commute from Austell/which I think is near Woodstock to Alpharetta--not at all certain that this is the type of FYI you need--but someone else may know.>>>
Moving to Atlanta / Alpharetta??

Last edited by TakeAhike; 08-02-2010 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The commute from Woodstock to Alpharetta can be pretty un-fun during rush hour because there's no direct routes that don't involve 2-lane and 4-lane roads. You may want to consider looking in the unincorporated areas of Cherokee County that further east, or North Fulton County.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 17,353 times
Cherokee County is your best bet for combination of house for the money, great schools, and not completely spoiled/pretentious kids and their families. You can get an established home there or a new home, and the price of entry is good. The Woodlands is a great community that is 2 miles from Roswell, about 20 to 25 minutes to Alpharetta and brand new middle and high schools. It has amenities like at very high end neighborhood. There is also a few more new neighborhoods you might like, but I'd stay in the southeast quadrant of Cherokee County like someone else mentioned.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
If the commute is to Alpharetta, then I would recommend Roswell, Milton or Alpharetta. All have some of the best schools in the state (along with East Cobb) and are nice for families. I live pretty close to the southeastern part of Cherokee and it is quite nice, but the backroads leading to 400 can be pretty slow in the mornings/afternoons.

As far as pretentious kids, I think it goes with the territory.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
Since your husband's job is in Alpharetta, you may want to consider Alpharetta. If you stay in the area served by Alpharetta High School, you'll get just as much diversity as you would in Roswell (Roswell High or Centennial). And in that area, you can easily stay below $400K. Unfortunately, your son isn't going to escape the Jr Joneses in any of the locations you mention. They exist in middle-class schools, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta