Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 30,181 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a job in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, but want to make sure that if we end up moving in that direction that we remain in an excellent school system.

I've read some old threads about these two cities (which is where we've pretty much narrowed our options down to) and it seems like Johns Creek is the way to go for schools....but, most of those threads are a few years old. Shopping and the general community are, of course, considerations, but schools and day care facilities are the top priority. So what does everyone think?

Also, I saw where a few people were touting the coming Prospect Park in Alpharetta back in 2007, but looking into that, it appears it never got off the ground and is now a big mud hole. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM

397 posts, read 842,979 times
My wife and I recently went through the same search with the big focus being on what real estate you get for the money IN good schools districts from elementary through high shcool.

You can find highly rated schools in much of both areas. Easy access to 400 had us purchase in Alpharetta. Some of the nicer Johns Creek places we looked at were a bit too far from 400 for us.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM

188 posts, read 594,446 times
Agree with bdawk. I live in and love Johns Creek (and the schools) but if I worked in Buckhead, I wouldn't live in Johns Creek. There are a lot of wonderful school districts off of 400. Any chance you can afford Buckhead? They've got great schools, too, and are getting a new high school.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,483 times
I live in Johns Creek, I have 1 graduate of JC schools and one in middle school. Cannot beat the schools - academics are a priority and take a back seat to sports (golf and tennis are prevalent here) I wouldnt move my children to Buckhead. Crime is much higher and it is not a family oriented enviroment like the suburbs in Johns Creek. Alpharetta is very nice too - I really like the trees there. Alpharetta did a much better job with planning and protection of the natural landscape when building home sites. Johns Creek pretty much wiped out all of the trees for construction.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresninas View Post
Agree with bdawk. I live in and love Johns Creek (and the schools) but if I worked in Buckhead, I wouldn't live in Johns Creek. There are a lot of wonderful school districts off of 400. Any chance you can afford Buckhead? They've got great schools, too, and are getting a new high school.
Don't think we could afford Buckhead right now, nor do I see that as much of a place to raise kids. I want to be as far away from "Atlanta" as possible while still being a reasonable driving distance away. If what JohnsCreekMomma says is true about crime (and I rather suspect that to be the case), such a move would be an absolute no for us. Buckhead is probably fine if you're a single professional but, outside of that, I don't see that as a good option.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Lots of families in Buckhead. It is a different choice than the suburbs, not a worse one. However, it is very pricey and you get much less for your $

I just finished a project off Windward Parkway. I was gong N. on 400 so against traffic. You won't be. Be prepared for lots of traffic both ways if you work normal hours.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make the move out there. The schools are good, but it is a lifestyle choice.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lots of families in Buckhead. It is a different choice than the suburbs, not a worse one. However, it is very pricey and you get much less for your $

I just finished a project off Windward Parkway. I was gong N. on 400 so against traffic. You won't be. Be prepared for lots of traffic both ways if you work normal hours.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make the move out there. The schools are good, but it is a lifestyle choice.

I see. We have some places where we are now that are kinda that way. I guess the best way for me to explain it is we don't want to live IN the midst of a large metro area. We live in a more rural, but pricey area now and would prefer to still be in an area where that "neighborly" and more family-oriented charm exists.

To me, Buckhead has always been more of an affluent "party" area, primarily geared toward young professionals. I am prepared for the commute on 400 if we choose to be in the Alpharetta/Johns Creek area. The drive and the traffic doesn't bother me so much. I would be traveling in toward the Lenox Square area. Would Peachtree Industrial or Buford Hwy be possible, less congested options?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Both areas have excellent schools. You can't go wrong with either one. Johns Creek probably has a slight edge over Alpharetta, but really the schools in both areas are highly rated.

Traffic on 400 is bad. Traffic on Hwy 141 is bad. Traffic on Peachtree Industrial is bad. There's now way around it: getting to/from Buckhead is bad during rush hour. Plan on a 90 minute commute in each direction. From Alpharetta your best bet is 400. From Johns Creek your best bet is Hwy 141 and/or Peachtree Industrial. If you are interested in mass transportation to/from Buckhead then 400 has the advantage. There's a park-n-ride bus that travels 400 to the North Springs Marta station. Buckhead is only a few stop away from there. Although there are busses along 141 they connect with a different part of Marta (Doraville) and it is much harder/longer to get to Buckhead from there.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 AM

188 posts, read 594,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Both areas have excellent schools. You can't go wrong with either one. Johns Creek probably has a slight edge over Alpharetta, but really the schools in both areas are highly rated.

Traffic on 400 is bad. Traffic on Hwy 141 is bad. Traffic on Peachtree Industrial is bad. There's now way around it: getting to/from Buckhead is bad during rush hour. Plan on a 90 minute commute in each direction. From Alpharetta your best bet is 400. From Johns Creek your best bet is Hwy 141 and/or Peachtree Industrial. If you are interested in mass transportation to/from Buckhead then 400 has the advantage. There's a park-n-ride bus that travels 400 to the North Springs Marta station. Buckhead is only a few stop away from there. Although there are busses along 141 they connect with a different part of Marta (Doraville) and it is much harder/longer to get to Buckhead from there.

Hope that helps.
Agreed. I would investigate some in-town neighborhoods before you exclusively look at Alpharetta/Johns Creek. There are wonderful areas with great schools within the perimeter. Traffic in Atlanta is some of the worst in the country.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I live in JC proper- but I'm actually closer to Roswell.
Have one in Centennial HS (Nationally ranked/ Newsweek magazine) and another at Haynes Br Middle.
I can be on 400 in less than 10mins from door.
When most people think of JC they think Medlock Br/Peachtree Pkwy & McGinnis Ferry Rd. Which is definitely not very close too 400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta