Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,591,455 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the area where 400 meet 285? Specifically, I'm looking for opinions about the area just southeast of it where the three hospitals are. I've seen a few nice apartment complexes as well some townhomes in that area. But I'm wondering what it's like to live there. Is it safe? Is it congested? What kind of people live there? Is it only good for people who work at those hospitals? Any info you can provide would be helpful. I visited Atlanta a while back, but that was an area I didn't get a chance to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,087,633 times
Suburbia!!! It has great trees and landscaping and shiny new apartments and office buildings (I work in one of the tall office buildings on the other side of 285), and it has a MARTA stop for the hospital and Cox Communications. Perimeter Mall is only 1.5-2 miles away and there is literally just about anything you need in the area.

That being said, you are going to be in the most congested part of Atlanta. 400 can easily become a parking lot, and 285 IS a parking lot for much of the say, even outside of rush hours. It is not too hard to travel down an alternative road like Chamblee-Dunwoody, Roswell, or Ashford-Dunwoody to Peachtree, or even Roswell to Wieuca, but be forewarned that those roads have stop lights and can also be parking lots. You will have to drive EVERYWHERE there. If you are looking for culture, good parks and public spaces, entertainment venues, and an urban atmosphere, that is the last place to look and is the opposite of that. I am biased towards the neighborhoods of Midtown, Ansley, Inman, Poncey-Highland, Druid Hills, Decatur, Buckhead, Brookwood Hills, Paces, and Brookhaven. There are even some up and comers on the West End and around Langford Parkway. I would not live anywhere outside of the neighborhoods I mentioned because I just can't deal with a lack of culture, historical buildings/pretty buildings, parks, museums, walkability, and I can't deal with spending more than 1.5 hours a day in traffic (really like 1 for me). If you live there and end up not working nearby, but in Gwinnett, in town, or Cobb, you can easily spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,051,928 times
You mean the Glenridge area? The name of that hospital is Northside btw. The area is mostly made up of black, white, and Hispanic people and the average rent there is between $700-750/month. It can get congested especially at rush hour. The 400/285 intersection is always a mess during the day and gets especially bad during rush hour with traffic backing up for miles. That area of Roswell road is usually bad too. It is in a very convenient location being situated right between perimeter and buckhead and both Roswell Rd and GA400 serve to get to downtown Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 PM

205 posts, read 690,835 times
I think it depends on where you would be working and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for.

I lived nearby that area (Dunwoody) and loved it but I am a married Mom with 2 kids, so don't have the same perspective as a single person.

I've read the posts about the congestion, but while it wasn't zipping along, I didn't find it all that bad. I have had to commute on 285 from Dunwoody to the Peachtree Dunwoody Rd. exit at all hours of the day, and at times it was really easy, and sometimes it was slow, but not consistently so throughout the day. Agree that the Roswell Rd. section is frustrating with congestion during commute times. I probably would not choose there.

It is very well located for heading to Buckhead, Atlanta, etc, but also not bad if you want to head up North on 400. Perimeter Mall is great, and there are a lot of other shopping and restaurant options very close by. Costco, Super Walmart and Super Target are nearby, and so is a nice movie theater and Hammond Park.

I would definitely say it is a very nice and pretty area, but it doesn't have much "charm" if that is important to you.

And regarding the 3 hospitals, I believe you are referring to Northside, St. Joseph's and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I have used the services of all 3 and have been very satisfied. Great physician options in that area, but you certainly don't have to be a doctor or medical professional to live there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM

216 posts, read 411,163 times
I live in an apartment complex on Glenridge Dr. right now. I love this area, and the only reason I'm moving in less than 2 weeks is because I depend on public transportation and the only regular service MARTA bus (the #341) that comes over here will be discontinued in September. The remaining bus (the #142) only runs during the AM/PM peak hours and has a 6 hour gap from around 8:30AM to 2:30PM during the day, so it's basically a commuter bus for the people who work at Northside, St. Joseph's, and Children's Hospitals. It also only runs Mon-Fri, but if your car was out of commission and you needed to get to the train station or grocery store, and the bus isn't running, the cab fares for this area are reasonable.

The cab company I use is located in DeKalb County (just up the road) and that county has a $6 minimum fare ordinance for the cab companies. From where I live to any of the hospitals, the Medical Center train station, the Prado shopping center (Publix, SuperTarget, etc) and on up Roswell Rd to roughly the intersection of Roswell and Johnson Ferry Road, I only pay the $6 minimum fare. (I gave the bus and taxi info because some people like to know what their back up options are for transportation if their cars break down, or are otherwise out of commission.)

I have to disagree with the poster who said the average rent in this area runs $700-$750 a month. No, unfortunately, that's what they START at. I pay on the lower end of the other posters "average" rent, and that's only because I had the good fortune of having great timing and caught a sweetheart deal last year. I caught a deal so good that if I ever doubted God's existence I would doubt no more, LOL.

As far as the traffic congestion on the surface streets around the 400/285 junctions go, it does get very congested during peak/rush hour, but traffic does move pretty well. As far as feeling safe, I can say I feel very safe here. Of course, you always need to be alert and aware of your surroundings when coming and going at night... but I haven't had any issues living in this area. As someone said, the area doesn't have a distinct "charm" about it, but IMHO the "look" is what I would describe as understated wealth. There are some well-heeled people living in this area, but I haven't seen any ostentatious displays of wealth or extravagance. It's kind of like that saying that people who are used to having money don't feel the need to let others know it by being flashy.

If you want, you can PM me and tell me which complexes you're considering, and if one of them is mine I'll give you the fair and balanced inside scoop.

Good luck on your search.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Even though I'm a single person without kids, I actually prefer to live in the suburbs. At the same time, however, I wouldn't want to live in an area where it's nothing but single families nor be too far from the city. While living in an area with character and charm would be nice, that sort of thing isn't all that important to me.

My top choice right now is Dunwoody. I know it isn't known for being a singles haven, but here's why I chose it as my top choice.

1. In my field, the jobs are concentrated in 4 locations. Downtown Atlanta, Alpharetta, Norcross and Vinings. I know it's best to pick a place to live after you know where you're going to work, but I also know that (especially these days) it's not unusual to have to change jobs frequently. Given that, I would rather be in a location that's central to all of these areas instead of being forced to move every time I change jobs. Plus I think it's bad to pick a place to live just because it's close to your job.

2. Dunwoody seems to have a nice mix of urban and suburban elements. Unlike places like Marietta or Alpharetta, it doesn't feel like it's only geared towards families. And everything is incredibly convenient. The mall, lots of restaurants, several major grocery stores, 2 Marta stations, both the 400 and 285, and even a PetSmart, which is great since I have a dog.

3. I'm in my 30s and well past the stage where I want to go to hippest bars and clubs. Dunwoody seems to be where a lot of 30something professionals go, at least that's my impression.

So while Dunwoody is my top choice, I'm also looking for other options. That area just south of it ITP seems like it could be a nice alternative. I just wish I had seen it in person.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,514,616 times
I grew up in D'woody and, like many of us who did, have since moved back. Granted, I am married with a kid, but there is just something really nice about the area regardless. I work in Midtown and don't find the commute bad at all, and love being close to 400/285. Also, there are decent restaurant/bar options, with Dunwoody Tavern, Taco Mac, Hudson Grille, amongst others. Also, I personally really like the fact that it has only a couple 4 lane roads and no blighted dragway running through it (like Roswell Rd., Buford Hwy, Peachtree, etc.). Even Ashford Dwoody isn't that bad (except traffic at times). The HOA has worked really hard to keep it pretty clean and nice from a streetscape perspective. The other thing I really like about it is the Dunwoody Nature Center, which is about 35 acres of heavily wooded trails for walking/running. I'm obviously a massive Dunwoody homer, but I think it's great.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I grew up in D'woody and, like many of us who did, have since moved back. Granted, I am married with a kid, but there is just something really nice about the area regardless. I work in Midtown and don't find the commute bad at all, and love being close to 400/285. Also, there are decent restaurant/bar options, with Dunwoody Tavern, Taco Mac, Hudson Grille, amongst others. Also, I personally really like the fact that it has only a couple 4 lane roads and no blighted dragway running through it (like Roswell Rd., Buford Hwy, Peachtree, etc.). Even Ashford Dwoody isn't that bad (except traffic at times). The HOA has worked really hard to keep it pretty clean and nice from a streetscape perspective. The other thing I really like about it is the Dunwoody Nature Center, which is about 35 acres of heavily wooded trails for walking/running. I'm obviously a massive Dunwoody homer, but I think it's great.
What parts of Dunwoody would you recommend to a single 30something professional with a dog and no kids? Also, what parts of Dunwoody should I avoid?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,297,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Can anyone tell me about the area where 400 meet 285? Specifically, I'm looking for opinions about the area just southeast of it where the three hospitals are.
From driving/walking around, the area around Perimeter Mall (very close to the area you are describing) is pretty good. With condos, apartments, townhouses, etc. Walk to MARTA, restaurants, and shopping. Do not know too many details as I dont live in that area.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,093,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What parts of Dunwoody would you recommend to a single 30something professional with a dog and no kids? Also, what parts of Dunwoody should I avoid?
Im also a Dunwoody native and I would suggest living in one of the apartment complexes around Perimeter Mall. Although I don't know anyone living there (im a 20-something and my friends all live in Buckhead/Brookhaven) I have heard a lot of 30-something professionals live in those complexes.

I am not sure what your price range is, but if possible I would choose one of the newer complexes. The reason being that in the suburbs, when the apartments begin to age the rents and standards are lowered and as a result the quality of people declines as well. Dunwoody is no exception although even the worst complex is better than those in other areas.

I would also avoid any apartment complex east of Chamblee-Dunwoody Road.

AMLI Perimeter Place is a pretty cool complex as it is in the middle of a new town center development, but it may not be the best with a dog. Gables Metropolitan is also pretty new/nice.

You may also want to check out The Ashford. Its a mile south of Dunwoody and the mall on Ashford-Dunwoody Road, and its older. I know they renovated it within the last decade though. The major plus would be that it is right across the street from a major park - Blackburn Park - which would be good for the dog.

There is also an off-leash dog park at Brook Run park, which is located off 285 on North Peachtree Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta