U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 PM

8,075 posts, read 12,911,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta actually had its first annexations since 1952 back in 2006--in the Cascade Road area (about 5,000 residents).

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh yes, I forgot about that one. I expect these small one off (it was only an extra square mile or so) to happen more so in the future. I could very easily see Hapeville, Sandtown, and maaaaaybe East Point being annexed with Sandtown being the most likely. I don't foresee any huge, Buckhead-esque, annexations happening in the future if ever. Weirder things have happened though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM

4,564 posts, read 6,542,740 times
waron, I"m assuming you mean the unincorporated portions of those cities, right?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
waron, I"m assuming you mean the unincorporated portions of those cities, right?
Well Sandtown isn't incorporated and the residents have petitioned to be annexed into the City of Atlanta. That was a few years ago and I can not seem to find any more recent info on it.

The other two are hunches on my part for the following reasons:

Hapeville

With the closing of the Ford Plant, the Airport has become the sole economic generator for the city. Annexation into the city of Atlanta may be more beneficial to Hapeville in terms of attracting development. On the other hand, once Aerotropolis gets off the ground (no pun intended) this probably will become less likely if it is succesful.

East Point

This was probably more likely 25 years ago when white flight was at it's height and industrial economy East Point built itself on hit rock bottom. However, of all the inner burbs except maybe Brookhaven, East Point "feels" less like a separate municipality from the City of Atlanta.

Most of this has to do with proximity as Lee Street and Cleveland Ave (and several other streets) run through both cities seamlessly to the point you don't notice that you've left either. Also, Southwest and Southeast Atlanta shares largely the same demographic of residents (working class and lower to average middle class black families). All of the major MARTA routes run through both areas end to end facilitating exchanges between the various neighborhoods to where basically the same "culture" develops. For instances, a kid growing up in Ben Hill or Cleveland Ave/Sylvan Hills would have more in common with someone in East Point than they would someone who grew up in the West End or Pittsburgh.

It just always seemed to me that if East Point were annexed into the city of Atlanta, no one would notice. It's pretty unlikely that'll happen now though as East Point is starting to gentrify with higher income individuals who seem to be more interested in building up some of the neighborhoods rather than flipping houses for profit.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM

4,564 posts, read 6,542,740 times
Gotcha, man.

I forgot to say 2 for those 2 specify cities. I wonder what, GA Law is on cities taking over other cities opposed to unincorporated areas.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Gotcha, man.

I forgot to say 2 for those 2 specify cities. I wonder what, GA Law is on cities taking over other cities opposed to unincorporated areas.
That's a good question and I hope someone chimes in with that as I would like to know the answer to that too. I'm willing to bet it's either not possible or extremely difficult to do so.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,798,286 times
Quote:
Gotcha, man.

GA law only allows annexation of unincorporated areas.
The most common way of annexing in Ga is for 60% of the residents of the area to be annexed must vote in favor of the annexation. If the residents of a city wanted to be part of another city, I would imagine that they would first have to dissolve the city charter.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,827,890 times
I sense some ill will between the "inside the perimeter" and "outside the perimeter" areas. True?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 PM

563 posts, read 2,613,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I sense some ill will between the "inside the perimeter" and "outside the perimeter" areas. True?
Sort of, but not really.

Some folks that live OTP think that the city of Atlanta is a cesspool of crime and corruption. Some folks that live ITP think that everything OTP is a cesspool of cookie cutter big box suburbia.

It goes deeper than that, for example, when you get into the reasoning for the MARTA line locations. But basically--what I stated above is how some truly feel.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,286,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
This question probably makes a lot of people sigh. There are some differences in demographics and values between urban and suburban populations in metro Atlanta as in other places. Suburbia and intown are different kinds of places to live, and they often appeal to different kinds of people, obviously.

However, Atlanta is a very large metropolis with quite a diverse population. The stereotypes of suburbanites (conservative church-going Protestant married couples with kids, who shop at big box stores and eat at chain restaurants) and urbanites (hip liberal singles and gays, homeless people and criminals) are too confining.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 PM

2,077 posts, read 5,557,555 times
Conservative, church going Protestant who lives ITP and thinks OTP is mainly cookie cutter suburbia

Although I absolutely LOVE old Roswell and a few other older historic areas and I think Dahlonega is absolutely beautiful (way OTP, almost not part of the metro). I think most of the suburban land area currently taken up by vacant strip malls and suburban blight/pavement as well as truly crappy suburban communities should be returned to Mother Nature (that's where I am an extreme liberal haha). I think if we go about fixing the schools the Conservative way (introduce competition and discipline and set standards, even moral standards GASP, and reduce the power of teachers' unions) we can get better schools in the inner city, thereby eliminating the number one reason why people move way the heck out into the suburbs in the first place.

I agree that stereotypes are confining, but largely true, which is why they exist. It's a sad aspect of human nature to stereotype people (we are SO judgemental )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta