U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,342,776 times

Advertisements

You are correct. Most people live in unincorporated areas. In Georgia, counties are smaller in size so are able to more efficiently provide services to their populace compared to other areas with large sized counties.

Now, you mentioned mega suburbs. Believe me, we have them here, but again they are shadowed by unincorporated population. Marietta, for example, has 65,000 or so residents in the CITY of Marietta, BUT 300,000+ or so claim a Marietta address because their post office zip code lies within the City of Marietta. Confusing, I know, but it is what it is and it's really not a big deal since you won't have to do the statistics on these everyday (unless you do, then I'm sorry).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 563 times
I stumbled across this thread while researching something else! (typical of web surfing for info, huh?)
I've lived in ATL for fifteen years now. Prior to that I spent several childhood years here, before there was ever a perimeter.
Fascinating posts here......looks like I'm about one year later to contribute anything.......but I'll leave a little graffiti on it jsut for GP.
As an amateur geographer....I'd draw the lines this way:
1. ITP=inside the perimeter. Definately the urbane, civilized area. Think of the "Perimeter" as the medival castle walls, protecting the priveledged few from the terrifying howling wilderness of the suburban South that surrounds ATL. Like every other city....there are a myriad of neighborhoods, each with their own character.
2. The Chattahoochee River. Go north and west of the Chattahoochee, and you are entering the old-time Cherokee Lands, site of a gold rush in the 1820s.(In 1820, there were no whites, no slaves in this zone.....slavery was still 200 years legal in NYC!). This is today's Cobb county, North Fulton(Roswell-Alpharetta, Cherokee County and yes even Forsythe County. Relocating Defense Contractors from CA, TX, and all over the world prefer Cobb. NY Yankees prefer North Fulton and Forsythe. Cherokee is where they wann know, "How come they dont build two story mobile homes...you know....fer rich folks."
3. Most of ITP is SOUTH of the Chattahoochee. Also South of the 'Hooch and upriver is Gwinnett County and Dekalb County. Gwinnett is where the Midwesterners like to go. Also I-85N corridor is known for the concentration of immigrant communitees. Chamblee is actually in Dekalb, virtually every store front is Spanish only or increasingly Asian Only......earning it the nickname...."Chambodia".
Dekalb, home to Emory University, and the CDC has the reputation for cultured sophistication and actually seems more urban than Fulton County....certainly the more diverse population.
4. Finally.....Southside.......downriver from ATL........Clayton County(this is a write-off....its charter should be revoked.....a disaster area). But then beyond the Airport there is Henry, Fayette, Cowetta counties.......suburbs and exurbs........If you are adventurous and ready to immerse yourself in "Down South" culture.......dont let the vicious stereotypes lampooned via all Media Outlets shape your prejudices.
5.Beyond ATL, there is "Georgia". If you havent checked out Augusta or Macon.....and 100s of small towns in between.......you are missing out.
6. To the north is the area I call the "ABC" Region....its the triangle of territory between ATL, Chattanooga, and Birmingham. Big Mountain Ridges, with wide valleys. Lookout Mtn forms the backbone that runs from Downtown Chattanooga almost to Downtown Birmingham.....with the eastern side acting as kind of a natural block to the flood of people out of ATL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta