Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Richmond's telling of Civil War history can be model for Atlanta *| ajc.com

I think this can be a way for Atlanta to authentically embrace its past. I do not believe in erasing elements of Atlanta's tortured and bittersweet history. We have to find a way to celebrate all that is "Atlanta" (warts and all)--but without going into the slippery slope of "Southern Mythology."

Another interesting link that relates to this thread topic:

B*ATL 7.19.08

B*ATL...
...An awesome event--and an authentic way to celebrate all of Atlanta's past/history. Battle of Atlanta, a Civil War to Civil Rights Tent, Re-enactments, etc.

More cool information about B*ATL...
On urban battlefield, history meets hipsters *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 PM

B*ATL 2011: 147th Anniversary of the Battle of Atlanta - Lomography

Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM

From The Civil War To Civil Rights - East Atlanta, GA Patch

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

B*ATL 7/16/11

Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,167 times
Great links, aries, thanks for bringing up this topic. I haven't been keeping up with the dates of the Civil War. While I am a history buff, I really haven't been following the 150th anniversaries as closely as I would like. Here is a link showing approximate dates during those war years.

It is worth noting that there is absolutely nothing that remains in Downtown Atlanta from the Civil War or earlier. If I recall correctly, the oldest building there is a one story building in the underground area built around 1870 or so. So for the casual history buff, there is not much to see near Atlanta from that era other than maybe Kennessaw Mountain and few other spots like the Cyclorama and Tara House. The better places for Civil War buffs are the various battlefield parks farther north and some west of Georgia.

This Civil War Traveler website provides some notable places to visit throughout the South and elsewhere to mark the sesquicentennial anniversaries.

Last edited by SW30303; 11-27-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM

538 posts, read 925,904 times
The powers that be in Atlanta don't want to embrace any part of civil war history....and, in fact, are trying to abolish anything to do with it. The Margaret Mitchell House in Midtown could be a tourist attraction, but it just sits there with a fence around it so people won't try to burn it down again. Most all of the streets named after civil war generals have been renamed after "community activists", etc. I agree with the previous post saying that touring the battle fields to the North is the best bet for any civil war buffs.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Great links, aries, thanks for bringing up this topic. I haven't been keeping up with the dates of the Civil War. While I am a history buff, I really haven't been following the 150th anniversaries as closely as I would like. Here is a link showing approximate dates during those war years.

It is worth noting that there is absolutely nothing that remains in Downtown Atlanta from the Civil War or earlier. If I recall correctly, the oldest building there is a one story building in the underground area built around 1870 or so. So for the casual history buff, there is not much to see near Atlanta from that era other than maybe Kennessaw Mountain and few other spots like the Cyclorama and Tara House. The better places for Civil War buffs are the various battlefield parks farther north and some west of Georgia.

This Civil War Traveler website provides some notable places to visit throughout the South and elsewhere to mark the sesquicentennial anniversaries.
However, I think the City of Atlanta could celebrate and capitalize on its Civil War history with grand historical markers, monuments, statues, and commemorative plazas/mini-parks, and marked tour trails/paths. This should be a major initiative. We can imagine/dream it--and I think it could happen.

The same should be done with our Civil Rights history (grand markers, monuments, statues, plazas/mini-markers, marked trails/paths). Our Civil Rights history has much more that "remains"--which would help with this initiative anymore. Our "Freedom Walk" could be improved as well.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
And I think that's the major difference between Richmond and Atlanta. Plus, the two cities are just different in their mindsets. Richmond relishes in its history, while Atlanta recognizes its history but strives much more to be a "now" city.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I think that's the major difference between Richmond and Atlanta. Plus, the two cities are just different in their mindsets. Richmond relishes in its history, while Atlanta recognizes its history but strives much more to be a "now" city.
In that way I think Atlanta loses a lot of its character. The past and even the recent past are erased. So Atlanta's character is more rooted in the latest fad.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
The powers that be in Atlanta don't want to embrace any part of civil war history....and, in fact, are trying to abolish anything to do with it. The Margaret Mitchell House in Midtown could be a tourist attraction, but it just sits there with a fence around it so people won't try to burn it down again. Most all of the streets named after civil war generals have been renamed after "community activists", etc. I agree with the previous post saying that touring the battle fields to the North is the best bet for any civil war buffs.

What street in Atlanta was ever named after a civil war general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta