Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
Dude, the problem is that you're living in Carrollton. Even I would be feel isolated and weird there, and I'm an Atlanta native. In fact, I can't conceive of circumstances in which I would even consider moving to Carrollton or any other town that far from a large city. That would be a dealbreaker for me for any job or romantic partner. If you're from Boston, you must feel like you're on Mars.

Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Poncey-Highland, even Buckhead...there are plenty of young transplants and urban Atlanta natives living in all of those areas. Cost of living is going to be higher than Carrollton but more affordable than Boston. In fact, I knew a Boston native in his 20s who lived in Midtown for quite a while and loved it there.

Every city will vary when compared to any other city, but you'll find a lot more of the types of people you're used to if you move into an in-town area.
Well said...I grew up here as well and would be in a state of shock if I had to live anywhere outside the main metro area. Carrollton is OUT THERE...I'm sure it's no different than living in some of the smaller towns in western Mass. or NH, to relate it to Boston. You need to move in town...it's still no Boston, but it's way better (for you) than where you're at now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Thats because Carollton sucks. Move intown to areas mentioned above and you will enjoy.
The Female to Male ratio is like 3 to 1 and if you like men well there is always Midtown.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
How did you end up moving from Boston to Carrollton?

Boston native here and the only time I don't feel I fit in is in the small rural towns. But that is pretty much any state.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
very true, I miss the rabid sports fans.

I moved here very involuntarily-- my dad worked for a major airline. We've lived in Tampa also, which I loved. I just can't get used to it here no matter how hard I try.
I agree with the things that have been said thus far, esp. about intown vs. Carollton, unavoidable differences betw regions and cities that have to be taken into account, etc. But I notice you described yourself as "Yankee" in your subject line, and you say you liked Tampa. So -- putting two and two together here -- are you saying it's "the South" you have a problem with?

Old 08-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post

I don't miss a Patriots game down here because I go to one of the sports bars when I need to, that caters to Pats fans.

That's awesome, where is this bar?!

And two, I work for an airline so I'm lucky to fly out of here frequently too, I agree its definitely nice to get away. Thanks for your insight.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I agree with the things that have been said thus far, esp. about intown vs. Carollton, unavoidable differences betw regions and cities that have to be taken into account, etc. But I notice you described yourself as "Yankee" in your subject line, and you say you liked Tampa. So -- putting two and two together here -- are you saying it's "the South" you have a problem with?
Well, just like any culture, there are aspects about "Southern" culture that I'm not a fan of. I'm not the Republican-Protestant type so that's often a source of my frustrations with this area but more than that I miss the art scene and fun things to do in a city... for me Carrollton is just ...awful... but I'm currently looking for a job in or around ATL

Old 08-07-2010, 07:21 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
I mean this in the nicest way...Carrollton isn't Metro Atlanta. It's...West Georgia.

As a transplant from a major metro...I wouldn't live past Douglasville (I live out here) and even D'ville is a stretch.

Try coming closer into the metro...definitely ITP

Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 PM

143 posts, read 345,905 times
Quote:
Well, just like any culture, there are aspects about "Southern" culture that I'm not a fan of. I'm not the Republican-Protestant type so that's often a source of my frustrations with this area but more than that I miss the art scene and fun things to do in a city... for me Carrollton is just ...awful... but I'm currently looking for a job in or around ATL
I'm from Atlanta and no one would ever mistake me for a republican or religious in any way. I never feel out of place for either of those things in Atlanta. Rural areas anywhere are going to skew more conservative and more religious, that's not unique to the South in any way.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
Quote:
That's awesome, where is this bar?!

And two, I work for an airline so I'm lucky to fly out of here frequently too, I agree its definitely nice to get away. Thanks for your insight.
There are actually a couple - I think Meehan's in Sandy Springs (which is a bit of a jaunt from Carrolton, but all of the bars will be.) I think the Central City Tavern on Howell Mill Rd. off I-75 in Atlanta has a major Boston sports fan customer base in addition to some of the management being from New England). There is also a New England Patriots meetup on meetup.com. Whenever I can, I personally prefer to watch the Pats in the comfort of my own home (only possible with MNF, SNF or a nationally-televised game or if it happens to make it on to the Atlanta CBS affiliate). That way I can cheer and curse without watching my tongue one bit.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
I mean this in the nicest way...Carrollton isn't Metro Atlanta. It's...West Georgia.

As a transplant from a major metro...I wouldn't live past Douglasville (I live out here) and even D'ville is a stretch.

Try coming closer into the metro...definitely ITP
I agree - the true metro Atlanta is skewed more from the city north and northeast and to the northwest as well. Directly south is expanding but still has rough edges. Directly east is contained within Dekalb. However heading directly west of Atlanta, it does not take long to get into a more "country-feeling" environment. One does not need to live ITP necessarily - Places such as Smyrna/Vinings, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Roswell/Alpharetta and lower Gwinnett are all OTP yet metropolitan in terms of feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta