Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM

13 posts, read 26,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Georgia isn't New England. Not sure if you visited and spent time here before moving, but I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking to relocate, and that applies to any area to which one considers moving. Don't know the reason you moved, but there is a definite culture difference that folks need to build into their plans.

As for feeling a bit homesick, my wife (a native New Englander...we moved from MA in 2007) is also a bit homesick sometimes. I think that's natural, especially if you left friends and family back in Boston, and have never lived anywhere else. I think particularly, folks in the hub tend to think that nowhere else is Boston, and living up to the comparison is hard.

I often miss the sports culture in Boston. The only thing remotely close here are the folks who follow the GA Bulldogs and college football, but it's not the same. Cities like Boston, NY, and Chicago just have a sports culture that's not easy to reproduce. I subscribe to sports packages and keep up with the Sox and Pats, and watch the Bruins when I can. I catch the Sox in places like Tampa, Seattle, and when I go back to MA. We bought tickets for the Pats and Falcons in 2 weeks at the GA Dome. You can make it work.
The best thing I ever did as part of my relocation was to purchase a slingbox and set it in the spare bedroom at my mom's house. Now I can watch all my NY sports and the local ny news, etc.

I'm a Giants / Yankee fan. Knicks and Nets not so much, but I think my brain is just programmed to watch them since those were the only bball teams on tv as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I definitely hear ya there. Can't imagine there's much welcoming of independent thought out there in Carollton, sad to say.
So Protestants and Republicans are devoid of independent thougt. Huh. And here I was thinking I was responding to this post on my own merits. Who am I dependent on to formulate this post I wonder?

To the OP: Would agree with many others here that your issue isn't a Yankee vs. Southern thing as it is more an urban vs. rural issue. I grew up in a town south of Carrollton and much, much smaller than that if you can believe. Couldn't wait to get out. Now that I am nearing the middle of life, the rural aspect that I hated so much as a teen is starting to look a lot more alluring.

Do like others have suggested and get on into Atlanta, a world of difference from Carrollton, but just the same, I would think, if you went the same distance north of Boston into a similar sized town in New Hampshire.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Go to a Thrashers game. I'm not even a huge hockey fan, but it's SO MUCH FUN!!!
I LOVE Thrashers games! But why trade Kovalchuck?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,126 times
I made the mistake of not moving deep into the heart of the city. I've been told that makes a big difference. In midtown, buckhead, perimeter, etc you will find more people that are from other places and they will make you feel more at home. Try to move to a place where you can walk down the street and see restaurants, bars, or live within five minutes of them. This should help you to determine if you should stay here.
Life is short, it makes no sense to spend your time trying to be the round peg in the square opening.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,557 times
you just weren't meant for this place, I know how you feel, this place wasn't meant for you

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
We moved to Roswell from New York six months ago and we LOVE it here. Sure I miss Manhattan, but there are still lots to do here, with some fabulous restaurants in Roswell, Buckhead and Midtown as well as the convenience of Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Target, Publix, right around the corner. Beautiful parks, and nice weather. People are friendly.

Embrace the differences. Forget about finding the duplicate of your favorite bagel and enjoy a biscuit. How many Yankee games could you really afford to attend? We had a great time at the Braves and were able to enjoy fabulous seats. Loved going to a Georgia Tech football game.

To the OP, find an area that appeals to you. To those who are relocating here, Atlanta is composed of lots of areas with very different lifestyles. (Think NYC tri-state region). It really pays to spend some time here, even a long weekend, and drive around all of the areas to compare and see where you fit in.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
I can't help but think the OP might be happier living in Atlanta than in Carrollton. Carrollton is a great small town but it is closer to rural Alabama than it is to Atlanta.

It would be worth a try anyway.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,088 times
There are actually a lot of us Northerners down here in Atlanta. You'd be surprised. On your average day in greater Atlanta, you actually run into a minority that grew up down here.

I lived in Sandy Springs for a number of years and it was quite pleasant. I come from Long Island, so I'm used to the suburbs, but I suppose if you want a bigger city feel you could check out Buckhead.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse for Life View Post
There are actually a lot of us Northerners down here in Atlanta. You'd be surprised. On your average day in greater Atlanta, you actually run into a minority that grew up down here.

I lived in Sandy Springs for a number of years and it was quite pleasant. I come from Long Island, so I'm used to the suburbs, but I suppose if you want a bigger city feel you could check out Buckhead.
I agree with this statement, as a native you could spend all day driving around time and NEVER hear a southern accent. That is what is most aggrevating to most of us natives. We dont have a problem with transplants moving here but for god sakes you people have taken over! I mean think about this for a second. How would you feel if you grew up in Boston and over the course of 30 years found yourself being literally the ONLY native from Boston at your place of employment, church, etc.. Or if you never heard a Boston accent or ran into a fellow Bostonian, sorry not sure if thats what there called. If you can honestly say you would have no problem with that then I dont know what else to say.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 PM

282 posts, read 634,372 times
I understand what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta