Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I agree with this statement, as a native you could spend all day driving around time and NEVER hear a southern accent. That is what is most aggrevating to most of us natives. We dont have a problem with transplants moving here but for god sakes you people have taken over! I mean think about this for a second. How would you feel if you grew up in Boston and over the course of 30 years found yourself being literally the ONLY native from Boston at your place of employment, church, etc.. Or if you never heard a Boston accent or ran into a fellow Bostonian, sorry not sure if thats what there called. If you can honestly say you would have no problem with that then I dont know what else to say.
That's a good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 PM

144 posts, read 330,857 times
I've lived in New Orleans and Austin, and a good bit of time in Atlanta. I feel least comfortable in Atlanta, there's a southern pretense here that I just don't get. I'm much more relaxed in the south-by-southwest area.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 AM

282 posts, read 634,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Hey all,

sorry, I couldn't find any existing threads on this topic.

I was born and raised in Boston and have lived in Georgia for about 5 years now; I still don't feel like I fit in. I'm looking to move closer to Atlanta (can't take living in Carrollton any more ) and I'm looking for any suggestions for affordable, hip locations for 20-somethings in and around Atlanta.

And does anyone else feel the same? I'm so lonely here.

Thanks in advance.
For most all they know is their tiny zip code, if you are not born & raised in that zip code, getting to know people will be difficult.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 AM

8 posts, read 18,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
For most all they know is their tiny zip code, if you are not born & raised in that zip code, getting to know people will be difficult.
I agree.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 PM

19 posts, read 62,706 times
It's not you my friend. It is Carrollton. I have been bored and depressed all day. So before I go to work out I have been posting in the Carrollton threads to warn people and give others in my situation some support. I just got off work (where I deal with the townsfolk all day) and I am especially fed up with this town right now.
If I see another Barnes or Trojans shirt, I am going to vomit.
I am a born and bred Southerner. My family has lived in Georgia since before the Civil War. My girlfriend's family were Scottish immigrants that traded with the Cherokee back when this was there land. Both of us have lived in rural areas (my girlfriend lived in a SMALLERl town 30 minutes NORTH her whole life.) NEITHER OF US FIT IN!
I think it's because we refuse to give in. We refuse to be rude. We refuse to drive without our blinkers or not say please and thankyou. I also refuse to act like a close minded, ignorant redneck (YOU CAN BE A SOUTHERNER FROM THE COUNTRY AND NOT BE A PIECE OF WHITE TRASH. IT IS POSSIBLE.)

This place makes me ashamed of being a Southerner. I can't even stand to here the Southern accent. I tell people I vote Democrat (despite being a proud libertarian) just to **** them off. I just don't want to be like these people if this is what it means to be Southern.

Idk what else to say. This is a bad place to live and that's all there is to it. You not fitting isn't because you aren't from the South. I think you should be proud you don't fit.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 62,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeebeee1 View Post
get the "H" outta Carrollton.....that is your total problem, IMO. Definitely Midtown< Brookhaven< Buckhead<Highlands!
Hahaha this is a town with a college sir, not a college town. HUGE DIFFERENCE. The college is like its own, autonomous village.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters8 View Post
It's not you my friend. It is Carrollton. I have been bored and depressed all day. So before I go to work out I have been posting in the Carrollton threads to warn people and give others in my situation some support. I just got off work (where I deal with the townsfolk all day) and I am especially fed up with this town right now.
If I see another Barnes or Trojans shirt, I am going to vomit.
I am a born and bred Southerner. My family has lived in Georgia since before the Civil War. My girlfriend's family were Scottish immigrants that traded with the Cherokee back when this was there land. Both of us have lived in rural areas (my girlfriend lived in a SMALLERl town 30 minutes NORTH her whole life.) NEITHER OF US FIT IN!
I think it's because we refuse to give in. We refuse to be rude. We refuse to drive without our blinkers or not say please and thankyou. I also refuse to act like a close minded, ignorant redneck (YOU CAN BE A SOUTHERNER FROM THE COUNTRY AND NOT BE A PIECE OF WHITE TRASH. IT IS POSSIBLE.)

This place makes me ashamed of being a Southerner. I can't even stand to here the Southern accent. I tell people I vote Democrat (despite being a proud libertarian) just to **** them off. I just don't want to be like these people if this is what it means to be Southern.

Idk what else to say. This is a bad place to live and that's all there is to it. You not fitting isn't because you aren't from the South. I think you should be proud you don't fit.
Wow, it is so unbelievably refreshing to know there are normal people around here. This town just really is my own person hell. But yes, I am proud that I will never be a Carrolltonian.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:46 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
I don't think a town like Carrollton which has 23,000 to 34,000 people(if you include the college students) should even be compared to a city like Boston which has 645,000 people. You're comparing a town to a city.

All cities and towns are going to be reflections of their population size, demographics and location. Carrollton probably isn't too different than most towns of similar sizes throughout America. What you'll find in Carrollton you'll probably find in a town like Danvers Massachussetts as far as pace of life and things to do(both towns have about the same population sizes).

Boston is an international city with a unique American history and many famous landmarks etc. So again I wouldn't bother comparing an American town of 23,000 people to a historic city like Boston it. Also how you adapt to any town or city can depend on why you located there and what you were expecting.

Last edited by Motion; 11-12-2010 at 11:55 PM..

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Wow, here this whole time I thought we were talking about an edge-suburb of Atlanta and I thought, "can't be that bad, this guy is just exaggerating." So I looked up Carrollton and realized that it's truly BFE and perhaps the OP should have moved to Atlanta or one of it's suburbs if they were looking for anything that resembled life in a major metro like Boston. You're closer to the Alabama state line than you are Atlanta. This seems like a place you would live if you wanted to be within range of a large metro but still WAY WAY out in the country.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:46 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I moved here very involuntarily--
And that's really your main problem with Carrollton when you think about it. You weren't planning on moving to Carrollton yourself. Had moving to Carrollton been your choice for whatever reasons then your view of the town would be different.

I think people have to look at a town or city for what it is and not for what they want it to be. It's like someone from San Francisco moving to a town in Michigan and being upset that this Michigan town isn't just like San Franciso. Well for geographical,population size and ethnic makeup reasons not every town in America is going to be like San Francisco. So you'd come out better expecting for every town or city to be different than where you're from. This is my mindset. So when I go somewhere different I can adapt easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta