Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

This is just a note to those who live in the city limits of Powder Springs, or those just now moving into the area - fireworks are currently banned.

Earlier in the week the city council passed an emergency ordinance to ban the personal use of fireworks, some model rockets, and toy guns that create sparks. Basically, anything that sparks, fires, booms, or cracks. The extreme drought conditions in the area have created some very possible fire dangers. Fireworks can set off brush fires that can spread very quickly, as well as set off rooftop fires, etc.

Frankly, I also think a small part of the ordinance is also related to noise issues - kids in the area tend to have parents who buy those "mega packs" of fireworks for them long before a holiday, and the kids set the things off in the streets during the day when the folks are at work. Technically, only things like sparklers were made legal in Georgia a couple of years ago - actual firecrackers, bottle rockets, and cherry bombs are NOT legal. But parents will buy the large sparkler packs locally and then cross state lines to buy the kind that "boom" loudly or shoot off 50 feet into the air (illegal here), and then claim ignorance if they are questioned about it.

So far the City sponsored 4th of July celebration near downtown seems like it's still a "go", as the fire department will be handy for that particular event if there are any fire troubles. It's best to check with the city right before the 4th to make sure. Either way, fines WILL be issued to those setting off fireworks as of NOW onward, FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

UPDATE: I've heard that the city has also cancelled the 4th fireworks that they put on as well. Not 100% confirmed, but I've been told by two people so it appears that's the verdict so far.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:16 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I think Roswell is going to go ahead and have fireworks on the 4th.
Assuming they will have fireworks in Centennial Park and Stone Mt and/or Lenox, Lake Lanier --maybe a few other places. That should be enough.

Kids really should not have access to such things.

It was a 'Great Big Deal' in my family--no fireworks around children. We could have a few sparklers--closely supervised.

Seems like my uncle would get cherry bombs from South Carolina or Alabama and we could stand a safe distance away and only watch.

I agree with that piece of legislation--certain there were horrible accidents that prompted it.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I agree with that piece of legislation--certain there were horrible accidents that prompted it.
Pretty much all towns that are stopping them are doing so due to the dry conditions. Fireworks, even one simple firecrackers, really CAN set off a brush fire quickly which can spread very fast.

You really have to wonder what was going through Governor Perdue's mind a couple of years back when he signed the thing that make even some fireworks legal here. Someone I know who works at an area news station said they do have it on their list of possible stories to investigate to see if he has any relatives or "buddies" who are in the fireworks business, which would explain a lot. Either way, they're dangerous to use, a fire hazard in drought conditions, and when not being used strictly on holidays, are noise pollution.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Pretty much all towns that are stopping them are doing so due to the dry conditions. Fireworks, even one simple firecrackers, really CAN set off a brush fire quickly which can spread very fast.

You really have to wonder what was going through Governor Perdue's mind a couple of years back when he signed the thing that make even some fireworks legal here. Someone I know who works at an area news station said they do have it on their list of possible stories to investigate to see if he has any relatives or "buddies" who are in the fireworks business, which would explain a lot. Either way, they're dangerous to use, a fire hazard in drought conditions, and when not being used strictly on holidays, are noise pollution.
Good to know--I can no longer keep up with the changes in legislation.

All the noises scare my dog and all the other dogs and the drivers really need to be monitored very closely. I don't enjoy hearing that nothing can be done --I can tell you that.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
UPDATE: I've heard that the city has also cancelled the 4th fireworks that they put on as well. Not 100% confirmed, but I've been told by two people so it appears that's the verdict so far.
UPDATE 2: I just confirmed with the City Hall that the City sponsored fireworks display *IS* still on schedule and will take place on the evening of the 4th. It appeared they were considering canceling it as well, and one local news agency reported that they had, but they were incorrect - the city display is still on.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 22,255 times
Dang people! How OLD are you? Let the kids enjoy their fireworks for heaven's sake!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 15,281 times
I think Powder Springs should ban Quilt murals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta