Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,832 times

Advertisements

G'day people - I am from sydney, Australia and relocating to Atlanta in the next few weeks !! (or so I hope; depending on when I get my visa).

Need some help to figure out how to get started. Stuff like:

1. Social Security Number - I understand this is the first thing to do. How long does this take.

2. Tax File Number - Is this easy to get. Do I go to an office or my does my employer get it for me.

3. How do I get a credit card etc as I dont have any credit history in USA.

4. Can i use my aussie driver license as we do right side drive

5. Will I have to pay high interest rates on a car loan?

5. Apartment rentals to folks who dont have any personal references

and any other things to ease into life there.

I am looking forward to living and travelling in USA ..at the same time nervous about leaving home and starting in an unfamiliar city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
See my responses in bold below. Just my opinion, but it sounds like there's a lot of loose ends here that you should have tied up much sooner than "a few weeks" before you move 1/2 way around the world......

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan80 View Post
G'day people - I am from sydney, Australia and relocating to Atlanta in the next few weeks !! (or so I hope; depending on when I get my visa).

Need some help to figure out how to get started. Stuff like:

1. Social Security Number - I understand this is the first thing to do. How long does this take. Don't know how long it takes, but Social Security Online will give you the process you need to follow.

2. Tax File Number - Is this easy to get. Do I go to an office or my does my employer get it for me. You should file based on your social security number, so I don't think you'll need any further identifiers.

3. How do I get a credit card etc as I dont have any credit history in USA. Can you use a current card that you have from Australia? That should at least get you started. You can then get a "prepaid" card to use for a while, which will help establish some credit here in the states, or get a bank account that includes a Visa check card that pulls money directly from your checking account.

4. Can i use my aussie driver license as we do right side drive? You've got to get a Georgia license within 30 days of moving here, so you can use the Aussie license until then.

5. Will I have to pay high interest rates on a car loan? More than likely, yes, as with little/no credit, you won't get the good rates. I'm assuming you're already set with employment, as the ability to pay the loan will obviously be a factor.

5. Apartment rentals to folks who dont have any personal references. Do you have any personal references in Australia, or did you live in the bush? Phones here reach out that far, ya know...lol.

and any other things to ease into life there.

I am looking forward to living and travelling in USA ..at the same time nervous about leaving home and starting in an unfamiliar city.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
There are many credit cards available for people who don't have any credit, they have very high interest rates but they are a way to build credit. Getting a checking account as soon as you land will help.

Generally you shouldn't need personal references for an apartment. Some places will ask for them, but most don't care. A lack of credit could be a problem though, some places will charge you a higher deposit, others might not even rent to you.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,832 times
Bob, XXMan - thanks for your replies.

yes, I live in a city !!! and can provide references from Aus.. thanks for clarifying that it will work.

I had a few followup queries. My work will be at Peachtree; and expect to be travelling around the east/south within a few weeks of start. Where do I look for serviced aptmts and how much will they cost ?

Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Please be far more specific..."work will be at Peachtree" does not tell us anything, there are many Peachtree streets/roads et al in this town so suggest maybe midtown, downtown, buckhead, perimeter or a specific intersection.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
I'll tell you now right off the bat to just not bother with any "Post Properties" apartments you come across. Post is a large builder here and has numerous apartment communities, including several in the Midtown/Buckhead Peachtree areas. Post requires residents to prove they make several times the monthly rent in income, and they have to have a pretty high credit score or else pay a huge deposit. They're overpriced anyway, but just to save you time, pick past them when you come here.

As someone else said, you need to go down your checklist quick... some of this stuff should have been taken care of long before the final few weeks before you move to the states. Are you being transfered here by a current employer there? If so, have them set you up with temporary corporate housing until you get settled.

Peachtree Street/Road is something like 45 miles long, and again as someone else posted, there are roughly 33 streets with the name "Peachtree" in them in the area. So if you mean your job will be downtown or in the Midtown area, there are plenty of places to look at. If you don't have corporate housing set up BEFORE you get here, then prior to your move contact a service like promove which a lot of people talk about on here ( Atlanta Apartments from PROMOVE - The Apartment Source ) they are apartment finders. Tell them what you are looking for, price range, etc., and they should go from there.

It probably wouldn't hurt to move close to work as well as near a MARTA station (our subway system). It's going to be hard enough for you to get the hang of driving on the "right" side of the road, much less the fact you're going to be moving to a city that has some of the worst traffic in spots in the U.S. It actually may not hurt to take a couple of driver's ed courses in a driver school to get a feel for it all, and living near MARTA would give you a way to get around until you're comfortable driving here (and safer for you and those on the road near you until you know what you're doing). MARTA's web site with "how tos" and a system map is: MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: