U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 13,992 times
Default Synthetic stucco

Found a home we really like...but it is synthetic stucco. It does have a moisture free warranty. Any info or opinions would be appreciated...we did not have stucco where we are from and are not familiar with it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 3,493,449 times
Waiting for Bob Kovacs to chyme in. Paging Dr. Kovacs!!

I recall a realtor telling me once, to stay away from Stucco exteriors on wood frame construction, but that's the norm in Florida. Stucco lasts, but the houses down there are stucco on concrete, not wood.

Let's wait of Bob and I think Knowledge Builder for concrete answers. No pun intended.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM

109 posts, read 218,782 times
Synthetic has a bad name whether its deserved or not I really don't know. However, many people won't even look at a synthetic stucco house and there a bunch who also won't look at stucco.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:28 PM

45 posts, read 86,078 times
Stucco is fine when installed properly and that is where the bad rep here in GA comes from. For a long time it really was just not installed properly.
Even if it is installed properly and you like it, at some point you will probably want to sell the home. Based on the bad reputation, whether warranted or not, Stucco houses do tend to move much more slowly than other same sized homes in the same neighborhood. They also tend to go for a little less. You may want to keep that in mind for the future resale.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:04 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,341,024 times
By first question would be- how old is the house? EIFS (synthetic stucco) on homes was an absolute disaster up until recently because the details for flashings, terminations, etc., weren't being followed and there were major rot/water infiltration problems. The manufacturers came out with huge books of details and started certifying installers, so theoretically, things should be better now. It still probably wouldn't be my first choice, but if absolutely love the house and you've got a warranty (from a company that'll actually be around to service it), go for it. I'm assuming you've had the house inspected by an EIFS inspector?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 13,992 times
Thanks everyone. The house was built in 1994...around the time of the bad installation, I believe. According to the company (the only reputable one in GA) that gave the present owners the moisture-free warranty, they would give the house a 2 thumbs up as far as the flashing, installation, etc. We have also thought of the resale issue but intend to be in this home for quite some time and the fact that we can get it for less now does appeal to us. It is a great house otherwise. We will probably be putting in an offer tomorrow and yes I do think the EIFS inspection willbe worth the extra $$. Let me know if there is anything else that I should be aware of. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,266,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmb View Post
Thanks everyone. The house was built in 1994...around the time of the bad installation, I believe. According to the company (the only reputable one in GA) that gave the present owners the moisture-free warranty, they would give the house a 2 thumbs up as far as the flashing, installation, etc. We have also thought of the resale issue but intend to be in this home for quite some time and the fact that we can get it for less now does appeal to us. It is a great house otherwise. We will probably be putting in an offer tomorrow and yes I do think the EIFS inspection willbe worth the extra $$. Let me know if there is anything else that I should be aware of. Thanks!
There are so many good deals on the market now. It is a buyers market. Unless your price is substantially discounted, I would move on. There are too many houses that do not have the perceived problems of synthetic stucco.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:18 PM

109 posts, read 218,782 times
I would find out the cost of replacing the stucco, so if down the road you do unexpectedly need to sell, you know ahead of time what it will cost. It may also be a good bargaining tool.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmb View Post
Found a home we really like...but it is synthetic stucco. It does have a moisture free warranty. Any info or opinions would be appreciated...we did not have stucco where we are from and are not familiar with it. Thanks.
Don't buy it!
I owned a house built withEIFS stucco. It was a nightmare. I couldn't sell the house. Nobody wants these inferior built homes. They are horrible. If you can unload a house built with an eifs system get rid of it. It carries such a bad reputation with it that some realtors are not bothering listing a lot of these homes. Buyers are aware of these homes. One used to be able to get rid of these things but relocation companies won't even buy these things for their clients. These builders should have been sued. The real estate market is bad enough but when you have this problem on top of it, wow that's all I can say. I used to lose sleep over this problem. Atlanta has the most homes built with this system besides Florida. I finally unloaded this house for a huge loss so I'm warning you , don't buy one of these. The home inspector will kill the sale and your house will sit on the market forever. A lot of people are buying these pieces of crap and redoing the whole outside with hard coat or brick. What a NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM

113 posts, read 137,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeducer View Post
Don't buy it!
I owned a house built withEIFS stucco. It was a nightmare. I couldn't sell the house. Nobody wants these inferior built homes. They are horrible. If you can unload a house built with an eifs system get rid of it. It carries such a bad reputation with it that some realtors are not bothering listing a lot of these homes. Buyers are aware of these homes. One used to be able to get rid of these things but relocation companies won't even buy these things for their clients. These builders should have been sued. The real estate market is bad enough but when you have this problem on top of it, wow that's all I can say. I used to lose sleep over this problem. Atlanta has the most homes built with this system besides Florida. I finally unloaded this house for a huge loss so I'm warning you , don't buy one of these. The home inspector will kill the sale and your house will sit on the market forever. A lot of people are buying these pieces of crap and redoing the whole outside with hard coat or brick. What a NIGHTMARE!!!!!
I concur, leave it alone. Let me confirm for you: those of us who are in the business don't purchase them and steer clients clear of them. I don't buy anything I can't sell. I don't sell anything to my clients that they won't be able to sell. Hey, but that's just me.

Your choice for home purchase should include probability of positive resale in the future, not something you know upfront has a stigma attached to it. Think about it. The home may very well pass inspection. But EVERYONE knows that EIFS has had issues. Same thing with poly-pipes, but at least there was a class action suit that soothed THAT issue! Atlanta's inventory is bulging at the seams. You will find another "great deal". Fall in love with another home. If you decide to do otherwise, we wish you well and hope its everything you want it to be times 100!!! Best regards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta