U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 14,145 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I are moving to Georgia in a few months. It will be my wife, myself and two daughters. Because we are looking to move and make this our home, we are coming with no jobs. Our current jobs do not have any locations in Georgia, so this is why we will be without employment. We don't have any friends or family living in Georgia, so it's not like one of us could go and set up shop. We are in this together. We do though have enough money to pay security and two months rent. I know this is a risk taker, but there is no other way for us to do it. I was hoping to get some positive feedback on if any landlords would be willing to consider this.
Even if I have to take a mininum wage job, I will! We just need a place to call home and move into once we arrive.

Any and all advice is greatly Appreciated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM

1,053 posts, read 1,342,996 times
Don't do it.
Stay with your current jobs until you have something lined up in Atlanta.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,747,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Don't do it.
Stay with your current jobs until you have something lined up in Atlanta.
The list of possible negative consequences is truly frightening.

If you don't know anything about Atlanta you are at a disadvantage to begin with---arranging for a place to live without knowing where employment might eventually be found is close to impossible.

In some of the extended stay/long term motels the crime rate is very high.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,252,307 times
I will say that although Atlanta is usually a good place to find employment it is tough like other cities right now. Your chances for success will depend largely on your skillset, experience, networking ability and how driven you are. Long term I think the prospects are good here as you progress in your career. Can you hold on longer where you are at and save like crazy -- giving things a little more time to improve and increasing your safety net at the same time.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

37 posts, read 73,660 times
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this isn't the best idea unless you have a considerable savings account. My advice would be to find a job (start looking for state jobs) or stay where you are for now, downsize and save up 4-6 months expenses, then move.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,380,805 times
I have to agree with everyone else. 2 months worth of savings simply isn't enough. My roomate got kicked out by her significant other (in Athens, GA) and had nowhere to go this past janurary so I let her stay with me for free. It took her 6 months to get employment and she was applying to everything she could including, Kroger, McDonalds, Wal Mart, telemarketing jobs, etc. Either get employment here before moving or save up at least 7 months worth of expenses. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 PM

397 posts, read 413,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsbee View Post
Hello All,

My family and I are moving to Georgia in a few months. It will be my wife, myself and two daughters. Because we are looking to move and make this our home, we are coming with no jobs. Our current jobs do not have any locations in Georgia, so this is why we will be without employment. We don't have any friends or family living in Georgia, so it's not like one of us could go and set up shop. We are in this together. We do though have enough money to pay security and two months rent.
Yay! Two months rent and security! That should cover you for about....well...it wont!

Quote:
I know this is a risk taker, but there is no other way for us to do it.
I know you is not a grammer taker.

Quote:
I was hoping to get some positive feedback on if any landlords would be willing to consider this.
I was hoping for my mortgage to be paid of by some random stranger. Guess what. I'm still hoping. Hope is not a plan. Besides that I have no idea what you want a landlord to consider.

Quote:
Even if I have to take a mininum wage job, I will! We just need a place to call home and move into once we arrive.
Try Auburn Ave. under I-75. Odds are that's where you'd all end up anyway.

Quote:
Thanks
You asked for it. Man, I hope this is a joke.

Last edited by bdawk; 08-17-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,953,829 times
Dude, are you serious? It would be risky if you were single. It's downright stupid when you have a family to support. You have a wife and two kids, no one local to help you get established, and you don't seem to have any clue about what you are going to focus on for work when you get here.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,893,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Dude, are you serious? It would be risky if you were single. It's downright stupid when you have a family to support. You have a wife and two kids, no one local to help you get established, and you don't seem to have any clue about what you are going to focus on for work when you get here.

Agreed. Stay where you are, until you find a job, here. Don't put your family through this.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,353,223 times
Default Quick Reply.....ROFLMAO!!!

Quote:
Hello All,

My family and I are moving to Georgia in a few months. It will be my wife, myself and two daughters. Because we are looking to move and make this our home, we are coming with no jobs. Our current jobs do not have any locations in Georgia, so this is why we will be without employment. We don't have any friends or family living in Georgia, so it's not like one of us could go and set up shop. We are in this together. We do though have enough money to pay security and two months rent. I know this is a risk taker, but there is no other way for us to do it. I was hoping to get some positive feedback on if any landlords would be willing to consider this.

Thanks
You know, it's funny, it reminds me of someone I once knew 28 years ago....me. I moved to Houston, fresh out of the service 5 months, had 2 duffel bags of clothes, $900 to my name and a beat up 74' Monte Carlo complete with peeling "Landau" roof (remember these god awful things), dents in each fender and a hole in the floor behind the driver's seat...used a rug to cover it so water and fumes couldn't enter...quickly anyhow....

I had a few advantages. I was single, extremely naiive, and I was moving to Houston to find a job paying $8.17 an hour because even that, could not be had where I had come from......I moved and never looked back...

However, as they say, that was then and this is now...Houston HAD jobs back then...the want ads were over 100 pages, no joke....even a fool like me could find employment.

Contrast that with today. Well educated and usually accomplished folks are fighting for every mediocre job the economy has to offer. Jobs they may have had 20 years ago when they were starting out.....and glad to have them....the alternatives are dim and dimmer.

I also had the advantage that I did not have kids nor a spouse to support/be responsible for.

And.......you want to try this.......now??? Trust ME on this, don't do it...while I may have earned A's for my efforts throughout the last near 30 years, it didn't exactly do much for my sense of well being. When I had finally moved to Atlanta, I was washing dishes at night, painting houses by day and slowly scratching my way up.....16 years later, I had made over 1/2 million in one year.

I did learn how to scrap with the best of them but, in my case I really didn't have much choice. You see, I KNEW the mid-west no longer had a pulse. No sense in pulling out the paddles, the patient (rust belt) was flat-lined....the others up there just haven't figured it out yet.....

Even having gone through that test of character I would have to say it's near suicide to come down here and try that now. What happens when the money runs out 2 months from now??? Do you have a fall back? In my case I told myself that if I got down to $200 I would high tail it back as that would buy enough fuel and one night lay-over in a motel to limp back into town.....

I've lived through 3 recessions in my adult life....early 80's, early 90's and now this debacle. Without reservation, this one has truly been the worst and I've worked through the tech bubble/dot-bomb days which for us who have endured this know, this economy melt down the rest are now feeling we have been "feeling" for roughly 8 years....trying as that has been I would STILL caution you on taking this risk.

I'm all for risk. It's what made great businesses come to light. However, for every Microsoft born, there's 10 guys on street corners jumping up and down advertising for some lame strip mall with haircuts and pizza. You DON'T want to be that guy!

I swear everytime I see one of them I just want to hit them at 60 or more...if nothing else, stop the car and beat them half to death with that damn sign they are juggling........just an impulse....same thing when I see someone in a "Smart Car"....God, don't you just want to plow into those people??? Ahhhhhh, but I digress.....hey, just kidding, at least they ARE trying and ALL work is honorable, ableit in their case, annoying.....

So, do yourself a favor. Stay put. The social services while there, are probably not going to afford you the help you need down here should you find yourself leaning that way. Don't put your kids through it. They deserve better.

If you have to, come down here yourself, send every dime you can back. Do what I did. Take 2 or even 3 jobs if you have to. There is no shame in any work you seek/find. Afterall, all competition usually ends at 5 PM and if you are truly determined, you WILL find work and could probably send a few bucks back to keep them going until you can land something that will put you level when they arrive.

It will probably take 6 months to a year to do it but, that time will go by regardless sooooooooooo, make it easy on yourself and family. Just come down and take care of you, send all extra cash back, and try to scratch up from there.

I do sincerely wish you the best my friend. This will not be easy but, it sounds like you might not have any other choice either?

May the force be with you, Semper Fi and all that win one for the Gipper crap...

Adieu!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta