U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 87,091 times

Advertisements

OK , I need some expert help out here.

(moving apartment to be inside 285 near Northside Hosp)

Which would you do?

U-verse Internet "elite" with 6mbps + digital unlimited long dist phoneline = $85/mo

Clear.com is 4G WiMAX wireless internet and phone = $55/mo.

I'm interested in gaming, video on occasion, and uninterupted phone service in case of power outages.

And I like good customer service and MAY want to change over to ATT wireless in about 6-8 months.

Recommendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
I just got clear, I like it So far, need to move the modem to 2nd floor for better speed getting 6mb/sec on 2nd floor, 4mb/sec on 1st floor.
Do you need a landline? Save a few $ and go cell only. For Clear in the event of power outage you will need to put it on a battery backup on the modem to keep your phone (also do you need to power your phone?) alive in a power outage.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM

45 posts, read 124,754 times
I'd go with the clear. According to your numbers it's cheaper. A friend of mine has it and loves it, Also I hate yes hate ATT. I'd also skip their phone connection and put that $ toward cell, an unlimited plan perhaps.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,008,086 times
Default Wireless help

Clear is a 4G platform that is split/shared by Sprint. It truly is 4G, the billing is straight-forward with little junk fees added.

Downside: Like all wireless, it's line of sight. You truly have to check the geography of your house to make sure you can get line of sight, 4 LED's or more says you will have a great signal. Critical for Voice traffic.

If your home is not in a low spot, has good line of sight, it's a reasonable deal even with VOIP voice transport which is what they use....

U-Verse.....fiber-optics closer to the home. Fiber is still the absolute best medium for data and voice transport...same for video.

Downside: AT&T. This is the result of 3 large companies merging. SBC bought AT&T who in turn sucked up BellSouth.....the mid to senior level management is going to spend the foreseeable future working hard....to keep their jobs. There's more politics going on at that company than the White House ever saw.

Why do you care? Well, in case you haven't noticed, their customer care is really, really suffering. Between multiple billing systems and workers who's soul ambition in life is to reach the magic number for retirement or a package, you, the consumer, the one who keeps them employed, gets lost somewhere along the way???

And for all those a-clowns who have supported this dinosaur thinking the best keep this in mind. When you buy them for business a good chunk of your monthly bill goes to people's retirement and pensions who don't/didn't give a crap about you...think about that the next time they auto-renew YOU on a 3 year deal....because....they "care".....frankly, if you are buying AT&T for business, you are spending tooooooo much....period...get a clue.

U-Verse, like Verizon's FIOS is a very, very expensive AND risky proposition for AT&T. It became cost-prohibitive for MCI aka Verizon...so much so, they halted the project up North. Must have been some MCI finance people on that one or the RBOC would have kept on "trying"....like rearranging furniture on the Titanic....

Why would they stop or lose money?

Well, if YOU spent 6 hours on every install, rolled trucks 2 or 3 times to get it right AFTER the install, you would lose money too??? While getting fiber closer to the customer is a great idea in theory, you have to account for the American consumer who changes carriers like the wind. They change for reasons they are not quite sure they understand except maybe price. That said, the company spends a fortune getting you going and hope to god you don't beat them out of their agreement for bad service....which is probably what you are going to get if you stick around long enough.....

It's a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time offering.....and in true AT&T fashion, for more. In this case, $85. But, while I am beating them down into oblvion I thought I would toss this crumb out for you to consider....ever notice that you can't leave an AT&T store for less than $300??? Not an accident...same will hold true for U-Rehearse until they can get this one right....

Bottom line? Go with Clear for now, don't sign a long-term contract and make sure you lease the equipment. New generations of equipment from Cisco, Motorola ad nauseum are coming out every 6-9 months and if you stay with them chances are you can upgrade. $20 plus the infamous AT&T junk fees saved every month totals in excess of $300 to you zippy annually.

Commercials and waxy literature notwithstanding, you just don't need AT&T for home anymore....Comcast, Clear, and Direct have better deals. And before you attack them, just remember, you can receive the same level of mediocre customer care from AT&T.....for more....

Think about it......

P.S. Fastest speeds available for home for Internet? Cable Companies...hands down....coax smokes DSL, U-Verse, FIOS, yabadabadoo ad nauseum.....for less...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or