U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 AM

7,732 posts, read 6,719,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJay View Post
To the OP. Please excuse the sturm und drang here. The issues discussed that caused the moderator to intervene are extremely contentious and have been for decades. As one who lived through the changes since the 50s, I must say that "the city too busy to hate" is not an empty slogan. Dr. King and folks like Michael Lomax, Andrew Young, Maynard Jackson, and even a "firebrand" like Julian Bond, were the antithesis of figures like Adam Clayton Powell, Sharpton and Farrakhan. They were élites, who could interface peer-to-peer with their white counterparts. This helped bring Atlanta through a turbulent era relatively unscathed and certainly facilitated Atlanta's becoming an international city.
The part of your post quoted here REALLY needed to be said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 AM

7,732 posts, read 6,719,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Great post. (I shortened the reply to save space). I'm curious, aren't the areas you mention high in taxes as well? And please specify the area you are speaking of by name, if possible. I want to stay in Fulton as well, but looking at the taxes are a bit discouraging for a very near future home purchase.
Look just over the DeKalb line around Brookhaven, on both sides of Peachtree. There are some incredible hidden gems in this area.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,495,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Look just over the DeKalb line around Brookhaven, on both sides of Peachtree. There are some incredible hidden gems in this area.
Will do. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM

840 posts, read 887,283 times
Default Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJay View Post
This is all relevant to your post because I can say that Atlanta's "white flight" is due not so much to racism as economics. People leave the city because of TAXES. Outside the city, taxes are lower -- especially property and business taxes. I have commercial property in Atlanta, and I estimate that my taxes have doubled the past three years or so. This is mainly because accelerating growth compels the city to expand its infrastructure apace, and the taxpayers are having to foot the bill. To the extent that the city fails to meet the expansion, it is dysfunctional. Some blame incompetence and corruption and racial politics. Whether any other city government could do better, given the demographic dynamic, is debatable.
Good post all and all. But the explanation of taxes does not account for the majority Fortune 500 company headquarters of Georgia being located in Fulton (it should be noted that Duluth in Gwinnett does have headquarters and other Fortune 500 and 1000 companies have a presence but not headquarters in metro Atlanta). Also taxes do not account for the fact that the incorporated city of Atlanta (with the highest taxes) is larger in population than it has ever been and over the past decade had recorded the second largest numerical increase in its population's history which is also the largest ever increase without annexing land.

As Atlanta is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, I wouldn't worry too much about taxes. If you are local, you would certainly be troubled by the increase in taxes between incorporated Atlanta and suburban Fulton (almost all of which is now incorporated) much less an outer suburb. However, I'm not sure of where the OP is from originally but much of Atlanta's growth comes from migrants originating in the old Rustbelt, Megalopolis, and California where taxes are much higher than anything Atlanta has to offer. It must be said that even though metro Atlanta is still one of the top gainers of migrants it has also suffered the largest numerical slowdown of any metropolitan area and its outer suburbs have been impacted the most. So depending on your point of origin you may find the differences between city taxes and suburban taxes a wash in comparison tocloser proximity to the higher density of Fulton and DeKalb amenities.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

101 posts, read 138,137 times
East Cobb is nice - close enough to everything. If you have kids - even better...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 AM

33 posts, read 65,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'm curious, aren't the areas you mention high in taxes as well? And please specify the area you are speaking of by name, if possible. I want to stay in Fulton as well, but looking at the taxes are a bit discouraging for a very near future home purchase.
You're right, Fulton county, like many others around the country, is effectively broke and trying to raise revenue. They are sticking it to the taxpayer. So I'm speaking relatively. For example, the millage rate for City of Atlanta is 43.86. The rate for Sandy Springs, which the MARTA North Line runs through, is 34.56. That's a significant difference.

The other posters also have good suggestions. I'm just presenting one point of view. From this point of view, the only metropolis that surpasses Atlanta is Portland, Oregon. Its public transportation system is unparalleled, and its culture is dynamic. And like Atlanta, it has TREES. But then, it has a fairly lousy climate. And it doesn't have the Braves.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 PM

20 posts, read 53,710 times
Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated by me and my family. I think though opinions will be different, depending from whom it come from, I think it's still important for me to hear them out. Also, you taking time out to write your thoughts is greatly appreciated! Thank you once again!

Now, if anyone cares to share the best daycare in Atlanta, that would help a lot!! There are too many cookie cutters out there!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM

865 posts, read 1,284,777 times
To OP - For some reason, whenever you ask a question like "Where is the best suburb for me and my family?", people only give you places on the northside.

We moved to ATL 6 mos. ago, and when I say I did a lot of research on ATL before coming here, I mean, over a yrs worth, plus 2 visits. We always heard the same thing (we have 3 elem. school aged kids) - north side, north side, Marrietta, Cobb county...blah blah blah. And in all my research, I also found a gem on the southside - Peachtree City.

We visited several times, drove around the north side - Marrietta, Alpharetta, and did the same on the south side - Fayetteville, PTC, Newnan. And what we quickly discovered is that the north side is WAY congested. I mean, it took us 2x as long to drive half the distance, as it did from the south side. The other thing we found out is that not ALL Cobb county schools are good, and even if you find a subdivision that you like, it can depend on the street that you live on, and which side of the block, to what school your kid is going to, b/c of the population size and amount of kids. When we looked at the schools in PTC, they all (from grade school to hs) were consistently ranked at the top in GA.

Long story short - we moved to PTC. The quality of life for a family is hard to beat. It has over 90 miles of golf cart paths, that wind around lakes, and through the woods, the parks, the schools, shopping - everywhere. Yes, there are things that we sacrificed by moving on the southside - more shopping options and better restaurant selections. But everytime I'm on the northside (and I do go every few wks, to go to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, for ex), I get all tense from the amount of traffic and congestion. When I drive back on the southside, and I see all the trees, and open spaces, I relax and breathe again.

It depends on what you want and what's important to you. We wanted a good quality of life and lots of outdoor activities for the kids, and all we have to do is walk out of our front door and to a golf cart path, and walk to the lake. The schools here are excellent, and my dh's commute is actually easier for him than if we had moved to Marrietta.

Good luck on your quest, and if you have any questions about the southside, feel free to PM me. I just wanted to give you another option. There is more to ATL than just Buckhead or Cobb County.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,269,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
To OP - For some reason, whenever you ask a question like "Where is the best suburb for me and my family?", people only give you places on the northside.
You're right that people generally do provide recommendations on the north side of town. I think it's because for the most part, and this is a general statement with specific exceptions, there is very little business on the south side of town. Cobb, North Fulton, Gwinnett, and the City of Atlanta are the business centers of the metro.

If you work at the airport or are an airline pilot or flight attendant, then being in PTC could be great. For most other folks, unless you work at home or closeby, you're kind of out in left field down in PTC and Fayette County. I think that's why many choose and recommend the north side of town when they move to the Atlanta area.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM

8,617 posts, read 11,253,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You're right that people generally do provide recommendations on the north side of town. I think it's because for the most part, and this is a general statement with specific exceptions, there is very little business on the south side of town. Cobb, North Fulton, Gwinnett, and the City of Atlanta are the business centers of the metro.

If you work at the airport or are an airline pilot or flight attendant, then being in PTC could be great. For most other folks, unless you work at home or closeby, you're kind of out in left field down in PTC and Fayette County. I think that's why many choose and recommend the north side of town when they move to the Atlanta area.
The Southside is also good if one works in Downtown Atlanta.

The Southside..."The soft underbelly of ATL commuting..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta