U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at some of the resale units? Typically you can under-cut the new construction by quite a bit going for a resale in the same neighborhood. It's just like new except a lower price and you can actually negotiate with the seller to drop it some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 AM

908 posts, read 3,380,753 times
Spacelord- Are you at Heritage at Roswell? I know that's a few yrs old Weiland community that is building new townhomes. Just a few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) I assume your HOA is over $200/mo..do you think it's worth it? Or is it a rip-off?
2) If you are at Heritage, how long does it take to get to 400 in the morning? I've heard it takes 30 min to just go those 5 miles.
3) After commissions, are you realistically expecting to turn any profit on your place?

I agree with you, buying a slightly used townhome looks like a great value vs. new construction. I just saw a 2004 end unit at Heritage that is 3 bed/3.5 bath with granite kitchen for just under $300k. not bad at all for a Weiland.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times
Go Blue 99 - no, I'm down at Providence on the Mableton/Smryna line. Our HOA is $210/mo., which is pretty high, I think, but it covers a lot of maintenance, as well as the upkeep of the pool and clubhouse, which are way better than any of the other neighborhoods in the area (as in, not even close).

Re: 3), at this point, I'm just trying to break even, but that is ONLY because we have already closed on our other house (a single family in Dunwoody) and I do not want to carry two mortgages for much longer. Honestly, if we had not found the house we did, at the price we did (ie, basically a steal in a great area) I would have just waited until after getting a contract on the townhome before offering on another property. In this case, I would have had more flexibility and probably would have just waited at my old price until things turned around.

In the future, if I had to buy a townhome, I would always do resale, because developers always mark them up high and, unlike single family, they do not appreciate as quickly. Also, developers have a habit of created false appreciation to encourage new buyers to "act quick" before prices go up further. The one you mention sounds like a legit really good deal....you ought to look into it. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM

877 posts, read 2,355,629 times
The HOA at Heritage is $180 as quoted this week by one of the sales agents. That does sound like a good deal on that 3br.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM

92 posts, read 600,697 times
Dens, I would stay away from Beazer if I were you. PM me and I will ellaborate.

B

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Well I looked at both The Heritage at Roswell and Manchester Place this weekend and I can see the fascination with Wieland, the major issue I have with them though is that the community is so big...500plus townhomes and it started 10 years ago and will go for another year. If I ever put my home up for sale, it will be one of dozens versus Beazer which only has 60 homes. I must say Wieland is top notch and it is gated and so much like a nice quiet neighborhood but I may be best on a resale here as I will get a better deal. Will make the decision by this Saturday.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 AM

You're right..I think you could get a very good deal on a Weiland resale there. There are so many new townhomes going up in N. Fulton- I'm sure sellers of resales are getting worried. Any idea what % you will be able to get off list price?

Good luck..let us know what you decide.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM

Final decision...Wieland new home...will negotiate this week.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Well after all this bought a Wieland in Alpharetta, Academy Park and I am thrilled with my decision...this subdivision felt better to me than Heritage at Roswell and I prefer Alpharetta.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 AM

congrats!! We viewed Academy Park and it was beautiful. As I remember, your budget was around $250k...isn't A.P. way more expensive than that?

Also, were they willing to budge much off the list price? Just curious how the townhome market is in alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or