U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM

16,250 posts, read 10,384,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Really Kev?
Then you tell me where the 9.2 MILLION dollars went that was SUPPOSED to give us the Concord Road Improvements,..(2005 SPLOST-intersection improvements, multi-use sidewalks, landscaped medians)--went- where did it go????
now the city wants 11 MILLION more of YOUR money & MY money for the exact same thing!!
knock, knock, knock,....
wouldn't you rather have a city making GOOD decisions for the citizens, so we COULD have sold our Smyrna Heights homes for the $300,000 neighborhood,.. made a little profit,.. then moved UP a little??? Wouldn't you rather?
It doesn't show much spirit or vision to compare Smyrna to other areas that are run-down , gangsta' & ghetto.
Wouldn't you RATHER see our city as something to be PROUD of, a place that ENCOURAGES businesses, resturants & shoppes to come to? Are you REALLY proud that Smyrna looks like a deserted cesspool?
Well I'M NOT! Because I know, w/ Smyrna's location,... what Smyrna SHULD HAVE & COULD HAVE BEEN.
But I'm afraid, my friend,... the line has been drawn. Any business coming to the Atlanta metro will be INSIDE the city (along the beltline), along the 400/perimeter center, Decatur & up the 85 corridor into Gwinnett.Even McDonough, Newnan & areas south are growing business!!
But you can just keep being proud of this poorly run city, watching as it becomes more & more abandoned, vacant & uninhabitable!
Power corrupts! This city should be ashamed.
I don't have any gripes with the city. It has been good to us all the years we have lived here. Sure, it ain't Buckhead but it is plenty good enough to live in for the working man. I am sure the future will be better. People will be looking for closer in places in the future to live.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM

15 posts, read 19,585 times
I like the majority here have wished that "ostriches" would leave and go away from this forum. Having said that I decided to do some research on his comments about the city of Smyrna and I now am wondering where the following funds have gone.

http://www.cobbcip.org/download/final_booklet070805.pdf

Page 39 and 40 outlines the funds given to Smyrna.

I admit that living near Atlanta Road/Concord I have not seen any work done on the following projects as of yet.

Atlanta Road Spring Road to Ridge Road Trail/Sidewalk $1,275,000
Atlanta Road Spring Road to Ridge Road Median $3,425,000
Concord Road Atlanta Road to S. Cobb Trail/Sidewalk $3,335,000
Concord Road Spring Road to S. Cobb Turn Lanes/Median $5,280,00

Quote:
This document outlines Cobb County’s 2005 Community Improvement Projects (CIP) to be adopted by the Board of Commissioners on June 14, 2005. It briefly describes the purpose of each capital improvement and corresponding funding. The 2005 CIP is intended to address the immediate needs of Public Safety and the Department of Transportation that affect the future of Cobb County and is tobe primarily funded via a Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST).
Adopted by the Cobb County Board of Commissioners, June 14, 2005

Unread 11-08-2010, 06:32 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,740,525 times
Halted projects? Do you know how many of these there are all over the city? Better yet the state? Better yet the country?

Unread 11-09-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Halted projects? Do you know how many of these there are all over the city? Better yet the state? Better yet the country?
The difference is Cobb County already funded these projects to the City of Smyrna.

Read the Cobb County link, pages 39, 40.

Unread 11-10-2010, 06:34 AM

3,130 posts, read 2,531,605 times
Well now I need answers!!!!

Unread 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM

88 posts, read 92,882 times
Thank-you, azbadger. I don't know how to add a link to the comments,. but if you feel like doing anymore reserch, & want to try to link them, I think it would be very nice & helpful.
Go to the Cobb County website-residents-TV23-
scroll to commissioners meeting-Aug 24(?), 2007-tab 7-
Cobb DOT spokesman stating the South Cobb Drive righ-of-ways have been secured & the extra lanes would be added w/ medians (to help w/ the WindyMac Connector traffic.
That was another project funded in the 2005 SPLOST, that mysteriously disappeared.
You can also google Max Bacon council meeting on the WindyMacland Connector. A meeting from either July or August 2007, Max states there is no need to worry about it @ this time , cos it will take 8 to 10 years to complete! Guess what- it opens this next spring! (and Smyrna ain't ready!!)
Also,... are you all aware that the pricetag fot the cities purchase of the Highlands Apasrtments, including a lame remodel attempt by Croy engineering, toataled 9.2 million!
And the Hickory Lakes has a 14 million dollar price tag!
Then you look @ the Windy Hill Blvd. pricetag of 40 million!
Then someone needs to find out exactly where Senator Doug Stoner & his family members own land in Smyrna!
Sorry you guys hate me so,... but honestly,... I'm just tired of the 'good old boy' network in Smyrna being able to continue to get away w/ so many back room deals,... while the citizens suffer!
I hope the people will begin to demand some answers! WE deserve better here!

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Just to be clear, the exact price city has (including remodel) for the Highlands Apts., was 8,195,000 million. I am also not sure who did the final remodeling, but Croy was involved w/ the contracting. Sub-contracters such as All-Tax Roofing did the roofing job, etc.
Cro Engineering IS in charge ogf Concord Road Improvements.
Croy Engineering has designed the 40 million dollar Windy Hill Blvd., which is on the 2011 SPLOST. When I asked Croy representatives why such an unrealistic, unachievable plan is in the SPLOST for Smyna, they said this was in the planning stages back in 2005-2006, when the economy was good. I then asked, why it can't be downsized , w/ the economy like it is,.. & they had no answer!
Also, the Smyrna council meeting you can Google (where the mayor & council are clueless concerning Windy/Mac), is the Ausust 6, 2002 Smyrna Council mtg.

Unread 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM

[quote]On September 20, 2005 the voters of Cobb County approved a Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) to fund capital improvement projects throughout Cobb County and within each of the County’s six cities. Approximately $43 million in sales tax funding is anticipated to be allocated to the City of Smyrna between January 2006 and December 2011.

http://www.smyrnasplost.com/spacer.gif (broken link)

The Program Management firm for the 2005 Smyrna SPLOST Transportation Program is:
Croy Engineering, LLC with Mr. Don Hicks, P.E., serving as the Program Manager

Croy Engineering is working hand in hand with the City to ensure that the program is handled in the most judicious manner possible. There are four (4) functional groups within the overall Program, all working under the direction of Mr. Eric Taylor, Smyrna City Manager. These four groups are:
  • Program Management Assistance
  • Pre-Construction Services
  • Right-of-Way Services
  • Construction Services
The links located on the left side of this page will take you directly to each of the projects that are currently included in this Program. Each page includes a brief overview of the project along with pertinent information with regard to the status of the project. This will enable you, the citizens of Smyrna, to stay abreast of what is happening in your city to improve transportation via roads, streets, sidewalks, bridges and trails[quote]
[CENTER][/CENTER]

www.smyrnasplost.com

http://smyrnacity.com/Modules/ShowDo...ocumentid=1137

http://www.ci.smyrna.ga.us/Modules/S...ocumentid=1138

Unread 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Correction- The Smyrna Council Meeting concerning the Windy Hill/ MacLand Connector that should be of interest to citizens is the August 6th, 2007. Google it.

Unread 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM

291 posts, read 384,581 times
I dont mean to revive this thread, I just didnt want to start a new one. Can anyone tell me the plans for the publix on the corner? Are they just waiting for the economy to come back? Same with the belmont hills? I am trying to decide to stay or go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta