Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM

88 posts, read 183,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
I dont mean to revive this thread, I just didnt want to start a new one. Can anyone tell me the plans for the publix on the corner? Are they just waiting for the economy to come back? Same with the belmont hills? I am trying to decide to stay or go..
Honey,.... do you really even need to ask? I don't think there is any doubt now, that poor city decisions, spending & greed, has left Smyrna in a very DARK place! It's up to the citizens of Smyrna to demand change,... tho' it might be just about too late to recover ithis city in this lifetime!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
And right on cue mr doom and gloom.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Honey,.... do you really even need to ask? I don't think there is any doubt now, that poor city decisions, spending & greed, has left Smyrna in a very DARK place! It's up to the citizens of Smyrna to demand change,... tho' it might be just about too late to recover ithis city in this lifetime!!
Do you have some red button that goes off anytime there is a Smyrna post/thread to troll in?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM

168 posts, read 560,866 times
I strolled down the Market Village square the other day and was stunned to see all the empty stores. The restaurants are intact, but wow. Small business victims of this economy.

Glad to see Twisted Taco opening this week in the old Atlanta Ribs space on EW Connector. And the kids like Stevie B's pizza in the old Vinings Grill space.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
I strolled down the Market Village square the other day and was stunned to see all the empty stores. The restaurants are intact, but wow. Small business victims of this economy.

Glad to see Twisted Taco opening this week in the old Atlanta Ribs space on EW Connector. And the kids like Stevie B's pizza in the old Vinings Grill space.
I'm curious to check out Twisted Taco. I miss the Vinings Grill, though.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM

470 posts, read 1,277,861 times
Well, I called the publix corporate office and talked to someone in the real estate division - They told me they just cancelled their contract with the developer and that they will not be re upping with someone else anytime soon. they said maybe next july they will start to look for other sites.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Correct.
*Jonquil Village-abandoned
*Market Village- what MARKET??
*Shoppes of King Springs- abandoned, forclosed, steel skeleton
*Belmont Hills- 50 acre wasteland
*West Windy Hill- vacant, empty, rundown
*Concord Road Improvements-vacant lots, broken sidewalks(didn't the 2005 SPLOST include 9 million for FINISHING this project,... NOW WHAT??)
*South Cobb Drive -looks like out of the '50's (zero money been invested over the years on this major thoroughfare- & none in the plans)
*5 Points Corner (lock your doors @ nite!!)
*South Cobb/McCauley-abandoned site-sitting empty 3 years
*Windy Hill Road-medians & improvements were in 2005 SPLOST-anyone seen where that millions is going??
*4 Corners-(dirtiest Kroger in Atlanta area-last wk. I stopped by, there was VOMIT by the drink machines- it reminded me why I go to Atlanta Rd. Kroger!! NO EXCUSE!!)
*Hickory Lakes Apartments-(city spending 15 million in a bad area of town),.... how 'bout taking care of neighborhoods where taxpayers actually live!!
*Smyrna Commons Apartments- we the taxpayers are now proud owners of this SLUM @ a 9.2 million dollar price tag!
When you have a corrupt government, money goes to developers, friends & back room deals. Anyone that takes a ride through other areas in metro Atlanta, cannot continue to be silent about whats happening in the city of Smyrna! It's OUR house values that are being destoyed!!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,277,861 times
ostriches - I understand you consternation. However, we have come to love the williams park neighborhood. all the people who live there are great and we have finally found a community that has an acutal sense of community. I could not find that in east cobb and roswell. Plus this area is so convenient to the city commute wise out of any other area.

So yes, those things you mention do suck. And I wish they would get better but I would not trade my neighborhood for anywhere else in metro atlanta.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM

You know, maybe it would be helpful if the people in Williams Park , Forrest Hills, Smyrna Heights, etc., etc., would actually GET INVOLVED & hold the city leaders ACCOUNTABLE,... but I guess the churches in Smyrna preach that it is best to 'look the other way' while bowing down to elected officials.
The cities of Alpharetta, Roswell, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs , etc. are pretty places w/ lots of things to do ( & places to work). I just don't get the mentality of folks in Smyrna. Guess they just don't feel they deserve any better.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
My question is why did Smyrna build so many HUGE, high-end houses? Did they aim too high? Why are these new developments tree barren if Smyrna is really so tree and park friendly?

I think Smyrna did itself a disservice by redeveloping generically. I question if they really had a vision or if they just said, "let's make this place rich". Smyrna could have seized the opportunity to achieve some cool things -- maybe new neighborhoods that connect to each other without culdesacs, parks embedded in these new developments, moderate sized houses...

A lot of the Smyrna marketing is true -- it has a lot of parks, etc. But it reminds me of a newly graduated student's resume. They fill up the page but they're stretching. Yes everything is true but that's it.

I think the best part of Smyrna are the core older neighborhoods -- Forest Hills for its beauty, Williams Park for its community. But beyond that, I think Smyrna has a long ways to go to reach its vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta