Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,431 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

We (myself, my wife, & our 5 month old baby) are moving to Atlanta from northern NJ. In my job I have to visit various hospitals like Emory (Clifton Rd), Piedmont Hospital (peachtree rd), St. Joseph (Dunwoody), Gwinnett Health (Lawrenceville), Wellstar (Marietta) etc. We are going to Atlanta next week to spend 4-5 days to familiarize ourselves with the area and various neighborhoods.

Since we don't know much about Atlanta, I would like to seek some guidance and advise from the locals on rental places as well as how best we can spend our first househunting trip to Atlanta .

Some background about us - we are a bi-ethnic/bi-racial couple (Indian and Mexican) - professional and interested to live in a safe, quiet, peaceful, and convenient location (from my work commute perspective as well as relatively easier access to city things e.g. parks, arts and music centers, good daycare, close to shopping plaza etc. from my wife's perspective). Ideally we would like to rent a condo/flat or a townhouse with 3br, 1.5-2bath, and 2 car parking spaces possibly 6-9 month lease or even month to month lease if that's available. Easier access to MARTA train line will also be very helpful since we want to have easier access to the airport and other city parts..

Answers to few specific questions below other than any general thoughts on what I mentioned before will be highly appreciated

1. We are planning to focus on Morningside, Virginia Highlands, Decatur, Oakhurst, Inman park/Edgewood, Glenwood park in East Atlanta. -does that sound reasonable?

2. Our budget range is $1000 -1500/month rental - do you think we can get something reasonable in this range per our above criteria..

3. My wife is interested to work in a good daycare where she can teach piano and/or Spanish to kids and where our child can also spend time. Any names or suggestions for such day cares. Ideally our rental home should be close to such daycare facilities.

Thank you all in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
Will you have to be at the hospitals at 8 am and leave at 5 pm or will you have flexibility (are you in sales, by any chance?) and will you have an office that you will regularly report to?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Will you have to be at the hospitals at 8 am and leave at 5 pm or will you have flexibility (are you in sales, by any chance?) and will you have an office that you will regularly report to?
I will have flexibility in timing - no regular office to report to, some work from home. My job will be sales related but not a direct sales job. However, I may have to drive from one hospital to another in the same day.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM

75 posts, read 323,772 times
Based on the areas you expressed interest in I would say that you will be looking at the $1500 range.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
In some ways, Dunwoody would be more central, cause it would put you about the same distance from most of the hospitals, but it certainly lacks the charm of in-town.

For both your housing needs and your wife's job interests, I recommend Craigslist -- tell her to look under education. I think you probably need to figure out housing first, then the daycare/preschool situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta