U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:24 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,926,036 times

Advertisements

It actually 'Atlantans'

Souther Hospitality, Golden Rule

I find many yankees tend to gravitate toward adopting the Southern Hospitality mentality after a while and they are eager to learn and adopt Southern culture. NY'ers tend to be the last to adopt this though.

My fiance is from here, but her family is mostly NY-Long Island Italians. It's night and day b/t dinners, conversations, attitudes, etc. But they are civil.

Its more of a poking fun of subject in our families.

However, they now love horse shoes and bbq.

The biggest thing I've noticed about Yankees are their lack of 'respect' for other people. Maybe just my experience while up there several times in NYC, but no one ever excuses themselves or apologizes.

Never been to Ann Arbor though, heading to South Bend in September for the Tech / Notre Dame game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 02:55 AM

8,578 posts, read 13,484,269 times
Watch some reruns of " designing women "

Old 06-30-2007, 02:02 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,207,969 times
That is a very good question.
I don't think I have ever met a native Atlantian

I guess it could be described as:
Atlanta City: Think Detroit, with a little Brooklyn, with a tad bit LA.
North / Northwest / Northeast Suburbs: Northern New Jersey
South / Southwest / Southeast Suburbs: Washington DC with South Florida.

The above will cover a modern day Atlantian

Old 07-08-2007, 11:53 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,447,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut2k View Post
This was an odd thing for me to experience, because even in the most "progressive" of towns, people here in Ann Arbor are stuck up, elitist, and have issues of entitlement. Maybe it's all the rich folk around here Not that money makes people bad, but it's been my experience in Ann Arbor that everyone feels like they're the MOST important person on the planet and that everyone else is stupid. (Maybe it's just my boss that acts this way, but I don't think it's just her--LOL)

What are your thoughts? Am I just disillusioned? Was it the thrill of being in a new place?
It depends where you go in Atlanta.

It's not as bad as LA, but you'll get your fair share of the snob attitude in town.

It's not there in the Northern suburbs.

People are nicer in the ATL than they are up North.

I'm in Austin now and I've noticed that people are more geniune here, but the people are good in Atlanta.

Also, I think you're slightly jaded.
Our society today is generally "me" oriented and find no matter where I live that people are selfish.

I've found that people take a moment to help others in the South and are less arrogant, something that I've found the futher South that I've moved.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,401,252 times
I almost never think about how nice people are here. That's actually a positive comment meaning I hardly ever run into rude people (outside of traffic).

Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM

60 posts, read 293,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
That is a very good question.
I don't think I have ever met a native Atlantian

I guess it could be described as:
Atlanta City: Think Detroit, with a little Brooklyn, with a tad bit LA.
North / Northwest / Northeast Suburbs: Northern New Jersey
South / Southwest / Southeast Suburbs: Washington DC with South Florida.

The above will cover a modern day Atlantian
The above makes no sense at all.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,207,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatElvisForever View Post
The above makes no sense at all.
The above is in comparison to the areas. The areas I described reminds me of those listed.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Atlanta- jobs and more jobs

Its Jobs that has made Atlanta what it is. Once a sleepy southern city , known only to those born and bread Southerners, Atlanta came into its own when the trend of large corporations was to create regional corporate centers in the south.
Further expansion came when a US presence was needed by multi national corporates. Atlanta is a white collar town . It has little industry, never did actually, as far back as I remember. It continues to grow as a distribution center and will as long as the economy stays strong.
The reflection of all this is the people that have been transfered there.Most are there, or were in the last 30 years, because of jobs. I can not think of any other place that is so dependent on the corporate world , than Atlanta. Just outside Atlanta is a place called Georgia, and , as Atlanta keeps growing , GA. keeps getting smaller . There are no two places so different , that are so entwined. As white collar jobs grow , so does Atlanta. It will be interesting to see how job growth affects the area, and , when the down turn comes , and it will , what the results will be for this great southern city. For now , its still a good place to work , like Chicago , with out the cold. The suburbs are also a nice place to live and raze a family. If you can stand the traffic, and it is bad, getting worse, I say , tis not a bad place to go. If you are thing of retiring there, I say , keep moving. Atlanta is all about money, and lots of it. I would hate to think of living there on a budget !

Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,447,720 times
I agree with most of what you said.

Atlanta is the new South and work is the prime motivator for most relocations.

I've also met a lot of locals and retirees in every corner of the city. Cost of living is low, there are a ton of activities, and the real estate boom catered to many longtime Atlantans. Many of the folks have cashed out in the RE boom and live modestly in the ATL burbs.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
I agree with most of what you said.

Atlanta is the new South and work is the prime motivator for most relocations.

I've also met a lot of locals and retirees in every corner of the city. Cost of living is low, there are a ton of activities, and the real estate boom catered to many longtime Atlantans. Many of the folks have cashed out in the RE boom and live modestly in the ATL burbs.
I too have known a lot of folks from the Atlanta subs, but , cost of living low ? I am sure those I know ,would not agree on that one. Then again , cost compared to other suburbs , in other cities , mostly in the North , well maybe......
My reference to the burbs of Atlanta, goes mostly to the younger , working white collar folks that were transfered from up north, or chose to move to the area because of the job opportunities. They live in the suburbs also. They are not living on the cheap, and have much invested everyday, fighting the traffic, paying the price of fuel,tolls, and food , just to make a living. Not a choice I would like to make, yet , I remember , long ago , a time when I would have .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or