U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,446,167 times

Advertisements

No, it's cheaper to live in Atlanta than Texas also.

I was lied to by my relo people and recruiter.

Now that we're in Austin, things are much more expensive despite no state taxes (especially on our paychecks).

More expensive:
Housing
Utilities
Insurance
Healthcare
Gasoline (L'ville was crazy cheap for the longest time)
Airfare
Food (RuSan's Sushi is awesome and cheap and I can't find anyplace here like Ru's)

And you don't have to drive 3 hours to see pro baseball, football, hockey, basketball, SEC championships, the Olympics, All Star games, AFL, WCHL (hockey), pro women's soccer (gone now but it was nice while it lasted), and have access to a very inexpensive and accessible airport.

Besides rural America, ATL's cost of living is cheap for a big city.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I factor in the drive required to get to Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio to see sporting events.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM

387 posts, read 1,417,658 times
Ugh. ATX. The "I'm so quirky look at me! Look how weird I am! LOOK AT ME NOW" city. What an overrated place. You know what, I think people there are snobby as well, just not as snobby as they are here in Atlanta.

Personally, I find most of the people in my age group (mid-later 20s) to be some of the most cliquey, stuck up kids I've ever met, and I'm talking about the ones FROM Atlanta. I've never met young people who feel so ENTITLED to things (monetary, material) in my life. I'm from Florida, NOT South (Boca, Palm Beach), but I think we were more laid back and not as materialistic. I prefer hanging around at the beach all day to shopping at Phipps Plaza and then waiting to wear what I purchased that night to Virginia Highlands or whatever bars are left in Buckhead.

However, I think the older generations are pretty nice.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 AM

8,575 posts, read 13,458,134 times
Default On the cheap in Atlanta

I lived 18 years , 2 hours from Atlanta. Also , 2 hours from Greenville, SC, and 3 hrs from Knoxville,Tn. All three considered " big cities", if you live in the south.
The point here that needs to be made, is , Atlanta needs to be compared against other geographical similar places. What is " expensive" to some , may be " cheap" to others. You can not compare Atlanta to NYC , for example.
In this comparison Charlotte should also be included. I seldom went there , because of the traffic problems , and the fact there was no direct route for me.
I knew lots of people in all these SE US places. Atlanta was the most expensive when it came to food, housing, taxes, utilities, as compared to all the other places above. This observation is the result of personal buying habits, friends remarks who lived in these areas,and watching the media reports, on TV , and in newspapers. I would put most of the people , including myself in the upper middle class sector. Almost everyone I knew in Atlanta, had to make more money , in order to maintain the lifestyle, than those who lived in Greenville , or Knoxville , for example.
I recall , one person , who moved to the Atlanta area, some time ago. As the urban sprawl took over their neighborhood ( far out suburb at the time) , they could no longer afford to live there. I do not think this problem exist to the same degree, in the other southern cities, and the joining areas.
If I had it to do over again , I guess I would have picked Knoxville , Tn. as a place that gave the most bang for the buck. But , If , I was looking for a "shopping week-end", Atlanta every time. Maybe its like, the more to do , the more to spend syndrome. Its hard to give exact comparisons, between any of the places , anywhere , due to lifestyle choices. We are all different in our wants and needs. You can live almost anywhere on the cheap, if you really try............

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM

513 posts, read 1,399,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The suburbs are also a nice place to live and raze a family.
Stay away from my family!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Stay away from my family!
And , what do you mean by that statement ?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:44 PM

513 posts, read 1,399,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
And , what do you mean by that statement ?
You said "raze" a family instead of "raise". Thought it was funny... no harm, though.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,446,167 times
My wife lived in Knoxville for 1.5 years and wanted to kill herself there, she was bored and hated the people.

To each their own and it all depends on what you're looking for.

Agreed that snobs are everywhere.
Like LA, ATL suffers from ultra-materialism.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,371 times
I love Atlanta, but I'm considering a move elsewhere. I'm ready for a more reasonable way of life. I'd like to buy a house and unless I commute an hour plus a day, that may not happen. There are always exceptions though. The crime is bad here, lots of home invasions. If you have a trade, nurse, legal secretary, paralegal, etc. the pay is very good but be sure you negotiate for what you want. Housing is outrageous but reasonable can be found. I live "inside the perimeter," you'll hear that question asked alot "do you live inside or outside the perimeter?" I pay $850 for a duplex in Buckhead/Midtown area and it's a very nice area. I don't and won't commute. I did it for awhile and was absolutely miserable. The Buckhead area used to be the place to party but is now undergoing an overhaul......a certain element came in and ruined it for the shop/restaurant owners and party goers. It is now going to be Atlanta's version of Rodeo Drive, shops, bars, condos, restaurants, etc. For a safe place to rent I suggest the Brookhaven area. Atlanta is becoming more of a walking environment which is great. We have great parks, nightlife, museums, and you must go to Northside Tavern. A hole in the wall place for great blues with a complete mix of people. You'll find college students there along with people in their 30's to their 80's. Virginia Highlands (expensive to live) but great bars, shops, restaurants, and a good blues club. Winter is great here. You actually do have a change of seasons (I'm from Indiana originally). I could say alot more but my child wants me to watch a movie with him. I hope this helps. Anyone have any comments about Louisville, KY?? I'd like to hear them.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
My wife lived in Knoxville for 1.5 years and wanted to kill herself there, she was bored and hated the people.

To each their own and it all depends on what you're looking for.

Agreed that snobs are everywhere.
Like LA, ATL suffers from ultra-materialism.
Somewhat depends on where she was from before she moved to Knoxville.
Knoxville is , a southern city. More progressive in many ways than most , but still............, I would pick it over Nashville, or Memphis any day. That might not be a good statement, cause , TN. is so wide. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or