U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM

63 posts, read 257,418 times

Advertisements

I seem to be surrounded by morons where I live. Maybe it's all the cows, or maybe the years of acid rain from manufacturing automobiles It's purely speculation but when I spent one business day in Atlanta, I found that people "seem" to be very NICE.

This was an odd thing for me to experience, because even in the most "progressive" of towns, people here in Ann Arbor are stuck up, elitist, and have issues of entitlement. Maybe it's all the rich folk around here Not that money makes people bad, but it's been my experience in Ann Arbor that everyone feels like they're the MOST important person on the planet and that everyone else is stupid. (Maybe it's just my boss that acts this way, but I don't think it's just her--LOL)

What are your thoughts? Am I just disillusioned? Was it the thrill of being in a new place?

What are your day-to-day experiences? I know that Atlanta traffic is horrendous (so I'm not asking if everyone's SWEET as pie on the roads) BUT I'm talking about walking around, dealing with fast food clerks, people helping you in stores, asking/giving directions, etc... -- Are people nicer in Atlanta?

It may be an impossible question -- it's all subjective too...but it's a thought I wanted to throw out there...Atlanta's gonna be my new home town soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,627,332 times
Glad you had a good experience....I would say that, like any generalizations, there are always exceptions to the rule but, having traveled extensively, I would say Atlanta is a "nice" place. Generally, people will be easier to talk to or more outwardly hospitable, but some can see this as either good OR bad. I've heard the argument that a lot of people in the South are fake, b/c their are disingenious with their niceties and will go so far as be sweet as pie to your face, only to talk trash behind your back. Southern decorum would dictate that you should always put a nice face on, regardless of how you feel about someone. A lot of people from other parts (especially the Northeast) express that this is annoying and phoney, as they are used to be told how it is, and doing so in return. Honestly, I like it the way it is here. Maybe I'm just a homer, but it always feels really nice to come back to the pleasant smiles and mundane small talk you can easily find around here. Of course, Atlanta does not always fall into this category, as it is predominantly a transplant city, but I would still rate it as "friendlier" than other cities of it's size.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 PM

218 posts, read 1,065,749 times
Smile We are Atlantans, not Atlantians

Atlanta is one HUGE melting pot; you have some people who are just like the people where you live, and then you have other types. It largely depends on where you live and who you associate yourself with. You will come across some A-holes, some cool people, some not-so-cool people, but, do you mean to say that all people are like that in Ann Arbor?

Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a great place to be. But, if it's a certain class of people that you want to get away from, then you will be moving around from place to place for a long time. Trust me, some of those same people are right here in Atlanta. You have rude people that don't want to work or be bothered, then you have the "nice" ones who may give the illusion that everyone is "nice" here. We welcome you with open arms, just make sure your objective of coming here is for more than just "how certain people seem" or else you will be disappointed.

As a native, I love it here and wouldn't go anywhere else. But, I have seen my fair share of people, but it would not drive me to go somewhere else; just dismiss them and move on with life.

As for the "phoney" part? You've got to look deep; I am one southerner who does not have a problem telling you how it is which is why I have to watch myself on this forum sometimes.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 PM

909 posts, read 3,386,750 times
I went to undergrad in Ann Arbor, and I agree there is a lot of arrogance in that town (mostly because of the UM students). There is actually even a tshirt that says "Michigan students aren't arrogant; we're just better than you are". Still a great place though- I'm going back for a wedding in August..can't wait to go to Zingerman's!

Anyways..I grew up in Boston, and definitely find that atlanta residents are nicer. The bad part is that since this is a driving city, you don't have many chances to come across this niceness. Combine a walking city like Boston with Atlanta niceness, and you'd have a much better situation.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,439 times
Default Reply from an Life-Long Atlanta native (rare but not extinct)

I agree; Atlanta is too much of a driving town; sad, but true. ..Our "metro" area has sprawled out of control, including hundreds of miles of suburbs... Having lived here all of my life, I have seen a lot of changes (many of them good) and noted some things that have stayed consistent. Better to describe in bullet points:
Southern hospitality: generally true
Southern prejudice: sadly, still slightly alive, but mainly way OUTside of metro Atlanta, deep in Hicksville. (Yes, I said it; I've seen it-used to live there before I was old enough to choose where I could live).
It is a Red state, but there are plenty of progressives if you know where to look.
Great shopping, great theatre; growing art scene.
Awful traffic; very separate personalities and flavors to each neighborhood within the city.... I suggest that you visit and really research the different areas and what they have to offer to see how they match up with your lifestyle.(I've known more than one person who rented/bought a place, thinking "I can get such a big house if I live out here" and then realized they had a bad commute, or needed to be closer to the urban life to be happy....)
Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Glad you had a good experience....I would say that, like any generalizations, there are always exceptions to the rule but, having traveled extensively, I would say Atlanta is a "nice" place. Generally, people will be easier to talk to or more outwardly hospitable, but some can see this as either good OR bad. I've heard the argument that a lot of people in the South are fake, b/c their are disingenious with their niceties and will go so far as be sweet as pie to your face, only to talk trash behind your back. Southern decorum would dictate that you should always put a nice face on, regardless of how you feel about someone. A lot of people from other parts (especially the Northeast) express that this is annoying and phoney, as they are used to be told how it is, and doing so in return. Honestly, I like it the way it is here. Maybe I'm just a homer, but it always feels really nice to come back to the pleasant smiles and mundane small talk you can easily find around here. Of course, Atlanta does not always fall into this category, as it is predominantly a transplant city, but I would still rate it as "friendlier" than other cities of it's size.
Great to hear!! Thanks for your input.

I, for the most part, appreciate the pleasantries of "please" and "thank you" when appropriate. I can't stand it when random people you see day-to-day (but don't really know personally) being rude at inappropriate times. It seems to me like I'd like it.

Even the guy on the subway selling DVDs and "other things" was polite Just odd to see. I'm used to Detroit where, if people don't know you, they're not nice and not many are polite

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
Atlanta is one HUGE melting pot; you have some people who are just like the people where you live, and then you have other types. It largely depends on where you live and who you associate yourself with. You will come across some A-holes, some cool people, some not-so-cool people, but, do you mean to say that all people are like that in Ann Arbor?

Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a great place to be. But, if it's a certain class of people that you want to get away from, then you will be moving around from place to place for a long time. Trust me, some of those same people are right here in Atlanta. You have rude people that don't want to work or be bothered, then you have the "nice" ones who may give the illusion that everyone is "nice" here. We welcome you with open arms, just make sure your objective of coming here is for more than just "how certain people seem" or else you will be disappointed.

As a native, I love it here and wouldn't go anywhere else. But, I have seen my fair share of people, but it would not drive me to go somewhere else; just dismiss them and move on with life.

As for the "phoney" part? You've got to look deep; I am one southerner who does not have a problem telling you how it is which is why I have to watch myself on this forum sometimes.
Hehe--sorry--Atlantian does sound kinda "alien-ish," huh?

No, I'm cool with the idea. Maybe I'm just sick of where I work. I just had such a nice experience that I wondered if it was something I'd notice. It just doesn't happen that often where I am and I've worked in the same place for five years, right downtown Ann Arbor. I'll be in Atlanta soon for a GREAT new job...I'd like to get along with people but it doesn't hinge on my living there

Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck7 View Post
I agree; Atlanta is too much of a driving town; sad, but true. ..Our "metro" area has sprawled out of control, including hundreds of miles of suburbs... Having lived here all of my life, I have seen a lot of changes (many of them good) and noted some things that have stayed consistent. Better to describe in bullet points:
Southern hospitality: generally true
Southern prejudice: sadly, still slightly alive, but mainly way OUTside of metro Atlanta, deep in Hicksville. (Yes, I said it; I've seen it-used to live there before I was old enough to choose where I could live).
It is a Red state, but there are plenty of progressives if you know where to look.
Great shopping, great theatre; growing art scene.
Awful traffic; very separate personalities and flavors to each neighborhood within the city.... I suggest that you visit and really research the different areas and what they have to offer to see how they match up with your lifestyle.(I've known more than one person who rented/bought a place, thinking "I can get such a big house if I live out here" and then realized they had a bad commute, or needed to be closer to the urban life to be happy....)
Hope this helps!
Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate your input.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to travel to Atlanta before moving. I will, however, rent for a while before buying (if that's what I decide to do. I'm 29 and moving away from my family and friends for the first time, so we'll see--I certainly hope everything works out!!).

I hope that I can find a nice place to live that's reasonably priced (that fits my needs LOL) but finding a place to live is an entirely different thread in this forum--I wont bore you with the details.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:55 AM

61 posts, read 201,277 times
people are friendly, but in buckhead/downtown they seem to be less friendly/more hurried etc...typical city life stress i guess.

most people in atlanta are from other areas- i would guess 50% from up north, 30% from other southern areas, and 10% from out west, 10% natives.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:35 PM

348 posts, read 915,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyYall View Post
people are friendly, but in buckhead/downtown they seem to be less friendly/more hurried etc...typical city life stress i guess.

most people in atlanta are from other areas- i would guess 50% from up north, 30% from other southern areas, and 10% from out west, 10% natives.
I would even guess higher than 50% from up north
But I agree with ya, it's a rare day to run into an actual "Atlantien"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or