Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 07:41 AM

7 posts, read 53,315 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My husband and I are looking to move in about a year. We will be moving to a much bigger house, and most likely gas instead of electirc. Our house right now is electric, and most places we have live have been...so we don't have much experience with natural gas bills. I understand it is usually more expensive, but I would like to get an estimate for the size of house so I can better try to figure a budget for us.

The house we are looking at is about 4300 sq ft living space and is located in Fairburn. Is there anyone that lives in a house about this size that is gas and could tell me what their bills average in the summer and winter?? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 53,315 times
bump up top

Old 05-26-2007, 07:28 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,570 times
Hi,

My home is nowhere near the size of yours, but maybe this can at least give you a rough idea. Our home is 1938 sq.ft. above grade, and is a two story with an unfinished basement in West Cobb (basement not cooled/heated). In the winter, our natural gas bill is at its worst $225/mo. Our home is 20 years old, so it is probably not as energy efficient as I would like to see-we are working on that. We use natural gas for heating our home and for the water heater. Our stove is electric, but a lot of homes at least in my area use gas stoves.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 AM
vst

21 posts, read 107,457 times
$225/month to heat with gas???

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

That's what you get for buying a home with Gas appliances.

My worst bill during the past 7 years for heating a home with all electric appliances was approx. $125 (that's including EVERYTHING running night and day when my spouse wasn't working).

On average, my electric bill doesn't get over $85/mo during the winter and approx. $40/mo during the Summer.

Ask anyone with gas to tell you how much they've paid in gas and electric bills for the life of their home.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:37 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,625 times
Georgia Public Service Commission This site will tell you the average for each month, sorted by provider. Hope this helps!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
$225/month to heat with gas???

That's what you get for buying a home with Gas appliances.

My worst bill during the past 7 years for heating a home with all electric appliances was approx. $125 (that's including EVERYTHING running night and day when my spouse wasn't working).

On average, my electric bill doesn't get over $85/mo during the winter and approx. $40/mo during the Summer.

Ask anyone with gas to tell you how much they've paid in gas and electric bills for the life of their home.
How big is your home? None of the homes we looked at had all electric. We had a tough time finding a home with an electric stove, for that matter. This is the only place that I have lived that I had such high gas bills (and I lived in ID and MO). Our home loses a lot of heat & cooling to poorly sealed windows and such, but we are fixing that. Our electric bill is much worse. Plus both of our furnaces are 21 years old, and are terribly inefficient.

Also, $225 was our worst after two winters here; not our average.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
225 for Gas???
All I know is they must like it "HOT"
I have 3200 sq foot with one room having 20 foot ceilings.
The highest gas bill I have ever had was $167.00 for the month during Christmas with the big Christmas dinner, along with my elderly parents with both furnaces running full bore. Therm set on 75 degrees.
During that time I was sitting out side with shorts on:-)

Make sure of one thing over gas and / or electric.
Make sure you know the builder, make sure you monitor the build of your home, make sure if you buy a re-sale it is fully inspected.
Not so much electric cost vs gas, it is insulation and quality of the pump or furnace that will give you the heebie jeebies.
There are many shotty builders in the south, so make sure you investigate fully.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 36,468 times
This question goes to VST .What's the size of your home?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM

62 posts, read 436,336 times
If you're buying a 4300sqf house, allotting for natural gas bill shouldn't be that much of a problem. Unless something bad happens to natural gas pipelines, it will be cheaper to heat your home with a furnace rather than a heat pump. The water heater is the same story unless it is a tankless unit, which either electric of gas can be better, depending on the model installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: