Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut2k View Post
To expand on a previous thread, now that I understand what summer is like in Atlanta, what are fall and winter like? I'm from Michigan and am used to snow about 40% of the wintertime. I've heard that, for the most part, things shut down when there's more than an inch of snow, but what are the temperatures like?
It's alot nicer than summer. Cooler temperatures and not as much humidity. I wouldn't count on snow too much. If it's three feet of snow that you want, good luck. Atlanta is lucky to get three inches(although schools often close after one inch). If you like mild winters, than Atlanta is for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 04:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut2k View Post
To expand on a previous thread, now that I understand what summer is like in Atlanta, what are fall and winter like? I'm from Michigan and am used to snow about 40% of the wintertime. I've heard that, for the most part, things shut down when there's more than an inch of snow, but what are the temperatures like?
We moved down to Atlanta from the Twin Cities almost three years ago, and I wear a tee shirt and shorts all year round down here.

Does that answer your question? :-)

It sometimes gets down into the teens on a cold night, but it's usually around 30 or so for a low during the winter, and it gets into the mid 50's or so during the daytime. I love it -- it's a nice long Minnesota fall down here.

Of course, I've seen one mild Atlanta ice storm, and they suck. I wouldn't drive in one, and I've driven in snow of all kinds for almost 30 years. The combination of hills, winding roads, a lack of salt/sand, impatient drivers, and roads covered with slick skating rink material just doesn't appeal to me...

Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
For people from the true north of this country (not N.Y.C so much, but the upper midtwest, upstate N.Y., Montana, Maine etc.), there is no real winter down here - just a long autumn which meets spring. Coming from the "real" northern U.S., I find the winter months refreshing down here. Even if you get a little cold wave or little snowfall (and 3 inches is little), nothing compares to waiting for the bus in -20 degrees F (without the wind chill) with banks of snow blowing particles around and having your face become numb and painful. Or shoveling snow storm after storm. Or scraping ice every damn morning. Not seeing the grass for months on end. That is what I call winter.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:26 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,361 times
Oh I absolutely LOVE spring! Coming out of winter, seeing things turn green, I'm always ready for it. The wonderful smells of things blooming in the air as you drive. But then thank goodness I don't suffer from allergies so the pollen dosn't bother me, except coats everything in sight. And I love a warm, sultry summer night. Call me strange, but the heat and humidity dosn't bother me. Spring is beautiful!

Old 06-29-2007, 08:39 PM

35 posts, read 166,051 times
Default Winter

I've heard that the Atlanta area gets ice storms in the winter months. Is that true? I just moved here in April so I haven't experienced a winter here yet.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I've heard that the Atlanta area gets ice storms in the winter months. Is that true? I just moved here in April so I haven't experienced a winter here yet.
Atlanta *can* get ice storms, but I've only experienced one so far since we moved down here in Sept 2004. That was in late 2004, and it hit on a Friday evening/Saturday so my work wasn't impacted, but I'm fairly sure that I would have stayed home and not tried to drive in it.

Even though I'm told it was relatively mild, I think it's worse than anything I ever saw while living in MN. It was freaky that Friday night with the temp around 30, everything foggy, mist constantly coming down and freezing on everything, and the world around our rental house being relatively quiet except for the occasional sound of an ice-covered branch crashing down in the distance. :-)

We didn't lose power, but we had a dozen or more branches fall in our front yard, a few of them quite large.

I have a certain respect for ice storms now, I think.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
The two worst weather phenonenoms we get here in Atlanta are spring/summer tornadoes and the dreaded winter ice storm.

The bad ice storms usually only occur every few years. Back in Jan. 2000, there was a really bad one that shut our power off for 3 days! The whole city was dead for a day. Not sure of the meteorological reasons, but while it rarely snows, we will get freezing rain which causes trees and power lines to fall all over the place. Like I said, though, this only happens every 2 or 3 years that we get a really bad one. The biggest cluster fudge, though, is that no one is prepared for driving on ice or snow (myself included) so mayhem typically ensues. Really, though, you're talking about something that rarely happens and usually only affects you for a couple days at a time when it does.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM

102 posts, read 364,822 times
I've been here for 17 years...originally from Rochester, NY. September is awful...still 90 degrees and you sweat as soon as you walk outside! Football is not as much fun when the stadium is 90 degrees at kick off! Although a Halloween with no jacket is nice...last year it was so hot the Saturday before that our 6 and 4 year old couldn't wear their costumes to the neighborhood Halloween Carnival.
HOWEVER...winters are nice. Even though it does get cold, kids can ride bikes and actually run around outside. Our boys really wish it would snow, though. They got excited when there was an inch of ice on our deck this winter! My husband & I have fond memories of childhood winters in Western NY, so I do wish we had a bit more snow here!
Statistically, the worst month here is March. That is when most of the snow (remember the blizzard of 93?) and ice occur.
Spring...FABULOUS! I love April. It is gorgeous. Nothing compares to an Atlanta April...yellow pollen and all!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:43 PM

561 posts, read 780,874 times
I'm from Detroit (lived there for over 18 years) and have lived in Atlanta for a little over a year and before that, I lived in Florida for 5 years.

Winter in the South is not winter at all to us Northerners. I have not once seen measurable snow since I've been in the South. Be warned though, people down here drive about 20mph in rain storms on the freeway whereas us Northerners are wondering WTF? I'd hate to see how people drive down here in actual snow if they drive so scary in a little rain.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM

63 posts, read 282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I'm from Detroit (lived there for over 18 years) and have lived in Atlanta for a little over a year and before that, I lived in Florida for 5 years.

Winter in the South is not winter at all to us Northerners. I have not once seen measurable snow since I've been in the South. Be warned though, people down here drive about 20mph in rain storms on the freeway whereas us Northerners are wondering WTF? I'd hate to see how people drive down here in actual snow if they drive so scary in a little rain.
Ha!! No kidding. Something similar happens here in Ann Arbor

Looking forward to the nice "winters." Maybe I can grow some nice plants that aren't ugly perennials

Thanks for the comments!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: