U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 257,068 times

Advertisements

To expand on a previous thread, now that I understand what summer is like in Atlanta, what are fall and winter like? I'm from Michigan and am used to snow about 40% of the wintertime. I've heard that, for the most part, things shut down when there's more than an inch of snow, but what are the temperatures like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:53 PM

214 posts, read 1,702,179 times
I am originally from Western NY so I can relate to snow 40% of the time! I live about 40 minutes south of Atlanta and the past falls have been in the 70s (Halloween is without a jacket or coat!) I love fall here. Winter- I have not seen any snow since moving down here. I think one morning last winter when I was driving to work in the morning it was under 32 degrees but no water on the roads so no ice. I think north of Atlanta they get snow/ice once or twice a winter (North GA mountains maybe more). South of Atlanta has a very mild winter. this past January we had days in the 40s and the 70s! My daughter plays in her sandbox in February! I'm sure you will get more replies from this thread so I will leave it there

Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM

138 posts, read 544,277 times
Winter gets cold to us which is probably nothing to you being from Michigan. The 30's to us is absolutely freezing.

Fall is absolutely gorgeous in GA. My favorite time of year. Nothing beats 65 degrees in GA.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM

63 posts, read 257,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemartini View Post
Winter gets cold to us which is probably nothing to you being from Michigan. The 30's to us is absolutely freezing.

Fall is absolutely gorgeous in GA. My favorite time of year. Nothing beats 65 degrees in GA.
I bet!! I'm definitely looking forward to it.

You can really pack on the pounds during a Michigan winter!!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:10 PM

169 posts, read 460,757 times
I'm from Michigan. In Atlanta, if we get any snow it usually sticks for a few hours good for a photo opportunity and melts by evening. Fall and Winter are the best. In spring there is pollen and summer smog and humidity.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Spring here lasts for 2.5 days. It goes from 55 degree days to 95 degree days in less than two weeks.

Ok, stretching it some, but many times Spring does seem really short compared to back home (WV). Likewise I've seen years when Autumn went from summer heat to dead leaves and Winter in less than a month. On "good" years, Autumn can look really neat in North Georgia, but you have to have the right combo of temps and rain amounts in order to get those good colors, and that doesn't always happen in the right order.

If they even PREDICT snow, just stay home. They close schools here if snow is in the forcast. I live West of Atlanta though and we haven't seen a snowflake in about 3 years - Northern Atlanta burbs tend to see it more often but it rarely piles up more than an inch or so. We used to have one "big one" literally almost exactly every 10 years (as in 8 inches, etc), but we're now 3 years behind so the last really big snow storm was around 13 or so years ago. From time to time we get ice storms that will shut the power off a while and "black ice" will become part of your vocabulary here.

The best thing to remember when here is that if you drive in this kind of weather - don't. You have people from New York to Florida to L.A. to Bermuda and all places in-between in the world moving here, all with EXTREMELY varied driving abilities. It's like a strange Michael Jackson video watching them all get out on the roads when there's snow or ice on it. It's best to just stay home.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 AM

88 posts, read 467,371 times
atlantagreg30127,

Very true on Spring. Spring is very short but fall is beautiful here.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 AM

894 posts, read 3,890,803 times
We just moved here in January from South Florida, so I can't comment on fall, but I thought this past winter was FREEZING....At one point my husband and I looked at each other and said "what the heck did we just do?!"

Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,615,196 times
There is absolutely no way to characterize any season in Atlanta (except Summer) besides schizofrenic. I distinctly recall March 1993 - it had been 70's for a week and then there was this talk of snow. Being in 11th grade I didn't want to get my hopes up that school would be out, so I ignored it. Sure enough not 2 days after a 70 degree day we had a certifiable blizzard! I took a ruler out to the front yard and measured 6 inches and the wind was fierce (although it was nothing compared to the North, I guess it met the official definition of a "blizzard" for snow fall and wind).

The thing is, from basically October to March, you can get a wide variety of weather. The good thing is you can be in December and have it be a 70 degree day, but it's not like other sunbelt states where you lose the enjoyment of the seasons, because rest assured that there will always be at least a handful of days in the 20's and 30's.

Agree that Fall is awesome...but it is such a fickle season. You could have a night in the 40's on Oct. 21, but then have to wear shorts and a t-shirt at night on Oct. 31....really weird.

The other cool thing about Atlanta weather is it's never at a stage where you can't do something. True, you may have intense rain during the winter and summer showers, but it's not like being snowed in. I run, and can basically run outside 365 days a year.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM

321 posts, read 1,395,786 times
Spring isn't that short, but that's because it gets an early start. Fall lasts for a nice long time. In the so-called winter, schools shut down if there's even a prediction of snow, or more likely, ice.

And this summer has been the hottest I recall since being here -- 12 years now. And it's still only June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or