Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
What field do you work in (If you don't mind my asking)? Did the employers pay your relocation or was it forced relocation (you moved and paid)?
Your chances of getting paid to relocate for an entry-level position are basically slim to none. Many companies are cutting back on relocation packages even for higher-level positions, since the market it so full of candidates- why should they pay someone to move when there are plenty of folks willing to do so for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Finding work in Atlanta for anyone not presently employed is extremely hard- Georgia (mostly metro ATL) is #3 in unemployed numbers behind CA and NY.
What does this mean?

I'm having trouble thinking of a meaning of this sentence that isn't proven false by this link:

Unemployment Rates for States

Georgia has the 11th worst unemployment in terms of rate, and eyeballing it is probably 6th or 7th in terms of total numbers (not very relevant). Illinois, Florida, California, Ohio, and Michigan are all big states that have worse employment situations than Georgia.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
I know people who have received multiple job offers in the last year. If you work hard it can be done.

If you believe there is nothing to count then I don't know what to say. 90% of people are still employed and spending money and every business needs accounting of some type or they won't be in business long.

On a basic level its really hard to stay in business if you don't pay your suppliers, collect from your customers, pay your employees, forecast your future etc.

Quote:
Finding work in Atlanta for anyone not presently employed is extremely hard- Georgia (mostly metro ATL) is #3 in unemployed numbers behind CA and NY.
On the humorous side- nobody's spending money, so there's nothing to count.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM

113 posts, read 311,226 times
Quote:
What field do you work in (If you don't mind my asking)? Did the employers pay your relocation or was it forced relocation (you moved and paid)?
I work in the field of GIS (Geographic Info Systems), which is mapping on computers. These jobs are mostly found in local government, and governments do not have the budgets to fly people for interviews and pay for their relocation. Perhaps it's a bit more prevalent in the private sector, but not much. In most cases, I had to pay for flights to interview (although in 1 or 2 cases they paid for my flight) and in all cases, I had to pay for relocation. But this is back when the economy was doing better and governments were flush with cash.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
And amazingly enough, people STILL come here. I know don't know if that phenomena is a testament to the power of the Atlanta brandname or if it's a matter of people listening or relying on the wrong type of sources for information.

If anything you would think that folks in desperate economic straits would make a beeline for Nebraska. That state has one of America's lowest unemployement rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What does this mean?

I'm having trouble thinking of a meaning of this sentence that isn't proven false by this link:

Georgia has the 11th worst unemployment in terms of rate, and eyeballing it is probably 6th or 7th in terms of total numbers (not very relevant). Illinois, Florida, California, Ohio, and Michigan are all big states that have worse employment situations than Georgia.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 73,607 times
Quote:
Would it be hard for me to find work in Atlanta? I graduated last December with BA in Accounting (2.9 of 4.0 gpa).

It wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be impossible either. I work in the accounting field and have seen a lot of movement/hiring in the last 6 months. Firms are hiring for accounting roles.

That being said, your best bet may be with a recruiter. A 2.9 may not look the best being blindly submitted to a company HR department and a recruiter may be able to help get you in the door.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
On the humorous side- nobody's spending money, so there's nothing to count.

I'm sure some accountants are figuring what the cost will be to put all the corrupt county, school, and state administrators behind bars.

I think 3500 calories equals one pound. These previous "fat cats" need to lose some blubber, and I'm sure some accountants are crunching numbers for their new diets in prison.

On a serious note, Georgia is experiencing high unemployment.

I would guess a few jobs here in Georgia, and nationally, are obtained by WHO YOU KNOW and not by what you know.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:26 AM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What does this mean?

I think what the poster was referring to was --
Georgia has the third highest number of job LOSSES in the last 12 months (I think close to 50K). CA and NY had the highest number of job losses.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
you should become a CPA first.. accountants and medical staff are needed... probably the only 2 things needed around here right now. not a demand by any chance but job openings more than anything else listed

good luck

Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 138,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
you should become a CPA first.. accountants and medical staff are needed... probably the only 2 things needed around here right now. not a demand by any chance but job openings more than anything else listed

good luck
Yea, I think I will wait and see how the economy does in a couple of years. And also check out over places I may be interested in moving. I just need to get out of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta