U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 13,544,520 times
Reputation: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Call me a nut, but it's almost as if maintaining high unemployment & steering people to waste good money on junk degrees from for-profit private colleges & tech schools is somehow planned. Can't help but wonder why so many people I know are earning Information Technology(IT) degrees but are not being hired currently at a high rate for IT currently.

Whatever, I guess...
Well, the schools or institutions which are offering those little tech degrees aren't going to mention the little fact that companies aren't hiring right now. That would hurt business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,499,506 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
And amazingly enough, people STILL come here. I know don't know if that phenomena is a testament to the power of the Atlanta brandname or if it's a matter of people listening or relying on the wrong type of sources for information.

If anything you would think that folks in desperate economic straits would make a beeline for Nebraska. That state has one of America's lowest unemployement rates.
Nebraska? North Dakota? Really, who wants to live there? No matter how bad or good the economy is, people don't want to move there. That says something about these places.

The population count says it all. (When things were ok, they were trying to lure people to live there, free land + cash for housing, etc).

Read the article (short and funny). For some reason the people in the article sound like some City Data posters who complain about Atlanta (Henry and Clayton county whiners.../Suprascooby, Elvez, Scraper Enthusiast etc). Maybe they can make that move too. I know they'll be happy there.

Fla. Family Wants out of North Dakota Town - CBS News


Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Well, the schools or institutions which are offering those little tech degrees aren't going to mention the little fact that companies aren't hiring right now. That would hurt business.
These students should do their research on these schools (fields of study & future employment opportunities) beforehand.

Any school advertizing during Jerry Springer is likely to provide a Jerry Springer-like education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM
 
521 posts, read 861,724 times
Reputation: 149
In Focus: Housing Shortage – Plog Photo Blog

Here's another crazy ND story.

Trucks and cars fill the parking lot of the El Rancho Motel in
Williston, N.D. Every motel in town is booked, some for months in
advance. Every apartment complex, even every mobile home park, has a
waiting list. (Todd Heisler/The New York Times)


Joseph Scott, an oil rig worker, stretches after spending the night
in his truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Williston, N.D. The oil
boom in western North Dakota has helped stimulate the local economy by
creating jobs but has also created a housing shortage for those that
have moved to the area for work. (Todd Heisler/The New York Times)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,499,506 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
In Focus: Housing Shortage Plog Photo Blog

Here's another crazy ND story.

Trucks and cars fill the parking lot of the El Rancho Motel in
Williston, N.D. Every motel in town is booked, some for months in
advance. Every apartment complex, even every mobile home park, has a
waiting list. (Todd Heisler/The New York Times)


Joseph Scott, an oil rig worker, stretches after spending the night
in his truck in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Williston, N.D. The oil
boom in western North Dakota has helped stimulate the local economy by
creating jobs but has also created a housing shortage for those that
have moved to the area for work. (Todd Heisler/The New York Times)

There are more people in Hapeville,GA than in Williston,ND .

There were hardly any people there to warrant housing or even many hotels. If and when the employment situation improves nationwide, that place will be deserted again. Most people with a profession would rather take a pay cut everywhere else than move there.

As comedian Bill Maher said, "small towns are small for a reason, nobody wants to live there" (technically a few, lol).

I doubt there are many young people on the North Dakota forum asking about moving there, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 AM
 
58 posts, read 78,170 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I doubt there are many young people on the North Dakota forum asking about moving there, lol.
I know I am not! There isn't anything there and/or anything that attracts me to the state. Well, I guess jobs. But what is a great job if you are not happy where it is @?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,499,506 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaMove123 View Post
I know I am not! There isn't anything there and/or anything that attracts me to the state. Well, I guess jobs. But what is a great job if you are not happy where it is @?

Exactly!!

From what I see/hear, the jobs are not in many fields/not really diverse. Mostly oil industry, nursing and other medical professions.

There's really nothing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,750 posts, read 2,157,378 times
Reputation: 1407
Great points.

Though admittedly I am still somewhat disturbed by people who would move here with no job prospects in mind but assume that Georgia's social safety net system, as anemic in funding as it is, would carry them thru the rough economic periods.

That logic to me is stupid any way you call it, especially if those folks have dependents in tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Nebraska? North Dakota? Really, who wants to live there? No matter how bad or good the economy is, people don't want to move there. That says something about these places.

The population count says it all. (When things were ok, they were trying to lure people to live there, free land + cash for housing, etc).

Read the article (short and funny). For some reason the people in the article sound like some City Data posters who complain about Atlanta (Henry and Clayton county whiners.../Suprascooby, Elvez, Scraper Enthusiast etc). Maybe they can make that move too. I know they'll be happy there.

Fla. Family Wants out of North Dakota Town - CBS News




These students should do their research on these schools (fields of study & future employment opportunities) beforehand.

Any school advertizing during Jerry Springer is likely to provide a Jerry Springer-like education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2010, 10:20 PM
 
131 posts, read 340,424 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Your best bet would be to look for entry-level Accounting positions while working towards your CPA. If you are willing to start small and pay your dues, then you can find something in the $35K-$45K range and get your foot in the door at a company. Once you obtain your CPA, then you can either move up at that company or try to find suitable positions elsewhere. Either way, you would be in a better position since you would at least have some related work experience on your resume.
where do i start looking for an entry level job like that? i tried monster and careerbuilder for a year now but no one seems to pay attention to entry level applicants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top