Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes. A few hundred feet from the one that just opened on Edgewood.

People, we obviosly have TOO MUCH S**T.
Live simple, so others can simply live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Live simple, so others can simply live.
Well to be fair... this shouldn't be surprising. The more people who live in Condos and small spaces, the more people will need storage for some reason or another.

A good many people use storage, because they move out of town for awhile in their career. Even more use them, because they are self-employed and can't house all of their tools/resources for their work in a condo or small townhome. Some people have small closets/bedrooms in some of tighter living conditions and need a place for seasonal clothes and larger recreational items (golf clubs, skis, etc...)

This kind of goes hand and hand with increasing real urban living and not just moving into old intown suburban housing and calling it urban.

Many urban neighborhoods across the US have these, so the real question needs to be the where/how?

The problem is there aren't alot of parcels available where there wouldn't be some backlash.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
There's a nice one up there in Dunwoody. Maybe they can make it look like that?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's a nice one up there in Dunwoody. Maybe they can make it look like that?
That is right across the street from where that new mega-development is going.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

wow, you know it is an upscale area when they have separate climate controlled wine Dunwoody Self Storage - Dunwoody, Georgia

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
This may be true but its hardly a urban thing, storage is huge in the suburbs and many either have their garage full of stuff so they can't park in the garage or pay for storage. I've found moving to a condo allows you to get rid of stuff you don't really value but there is still often a use for some storage depending on your home space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well to be fair... this shouldn't be surprising. The more people who live in Condos and small spaces, the more people will need storage for some reason or another.

A good many people use storage, because they move out of town for awhile in their career. Even more use them, because they are self-employed and can't house all of their tools/resources for their work in a condo or small townhome. Some people have small closets/bedrooms in some of tighter living conditions and need a place for seasonal clothes and larger recreational items (golf clubs, skis, etc...)

This kind of goes hand and hand with increasing real urban living and not just moving into old intown suburban housing and calling it urban.

Many urban neighborhoods across the US have these, so the real question needs to be the where/how?

The problem is there aren't alot of parcels available where there wouldn't be some backlash.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,309 times
Whatever space people have, they will fill it. Inevitably some will overfill it, and that's what will keep the storage industry alive forever. I'm sure that's a big part of why so many people are willing to make 2-hour commutes to McMansions with 1.5 bedrooms per family member... they simply don't know what else to do with all of their belongings.

It must seem quite comical to other cultures that Americans have so much s**t that they need to rent additional real estate just to store it in. If it's not even where you live, what in the world do you need it for?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
This may be true but its hardly a urban thing, storage is huge in the suburbs and many either have their garage full of stuff so they can't park in the garage or pay for storage. I've found moving to a condo allows you to get rid of stuff you don't really value but there is still often a use for some storage depending on your home space.
Well storage units definitely exist everywhere. I've used them and most the people I see going in and out have a tangible purpose for them.

So I'm not trying to claim it is soley an urban thing at all, but most stable urban neighborhoods typically have these types of businesses too. They become increasingly important for some types of customers, since they don't have space at home at all.

I don't think people get a storage unit for minor hoarding, like they might do in a larger home.

but live in a 1 bedroom condo and operate a small business or a hobby with large equipment and it becomes very important.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I tell you, it's hard to get rid of stuff. When we closed our business we told all the employees to help themselves to whatever they wanted. Then we told family and friends to come take their pick of what was left. Then we told our church to do the same. We also took a number of things to the farm.

And there was STILL a mountain of stuff left. I'm talking desks, chairs, sofas, computers, scales, office partitions, heavy machinery, fixtures, file cabinets, ladders, tools, shop lights, you name it. I'd spent a small fortune on all that junk and figured somebody might want it, so I spent another small fortune having it all hauled out a bunch of storage units.

Where it sat for another year. Just storing it was running several thousand a month so I eventually paid some salvage company to drag everything off.

It was a real eye opener to realize that all this stuff you've spent your life accumulating -- and we even proud of at one point -- is nothing but a burden on planet Earth.

Such is life. We spend it trying to build up but in the final analysis what does it mean?

Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
Attorneys are required to keep client files for 7 years. Storage is always an issue as not always available on-site. Not everything can be stored in the "cloud"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta