U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 AM
 
50 posts, read 113,904 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

and wanted to know if anyone can recommend:

A good place for soul food?
A place with great martinis?
A good place for breakfast?
A nice chill spot or some clubs that play house music?
Any restaurants we should make sure to check out while in town?
Any events/parties going on before or after the Classic?


And can anyone weigh in on the MARTA commute from Buckhead to Piedmont Park stop? Is MARTA efficient? Any particular time of day we should avoid it?

I have assured my friend that we will be fine because Piedmont Park appears to be two stops from the Buckhead stop, which is near the area we'll be staying in, but he's a bit skeptical (dunno why).

Thanks in advance for your help. I am excited about getting back to the ATL. Haven't visited in a few years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 3,553,692 times
Reputation: 1804
dump this thread a week prior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,670,603 times
Reputation: 337
Default Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by parle75 View Post
and wanted to know if anyone can recommend:

A good place for soul food?

For more upscale vibe check out Rare or Busy Bee/Big Daddy's for daytime or takeout.
A place with great martinis? Plenty of places but The W Midtown bars are probably my favorite for good drinks albeit expensive.

A good place for breakfast? Thumbs Up Diner (Several Locations) or Social House (Same owner as Rare).

A nice chill spot or some clubs that play house music? Mostly promoter driven so the locations can change check back sooner to the date

Any restaurants we should make sure to check out while in town?
Plenty depending on your tastes...My personal favorite is Rathbuns, Cafe Circa, Tamarind Seed, Rare

Any events/parties going on before or after the Classic? Mostly promoter driven so the locations havent been announced yet check back in a few weeks.


And can anyone weigh in on the MARTA commute from Buckhead to Piedmont Park stop? Is MARTA efficient? Any particular time of day we should avoid it?

I have assured my friend that we will be fine because Piedmont Park appears to be two stops from the Buckhead stop, which is near the area we'll be staying in, but he's a bit skeptical (dunno why).

Thanks in advance for your help. I am excited about getting back to the ATL. Haven't visited in a few years!
A good place for soul food? Check out Rare for a more upscale/scenester vibe or Busy Bee/Big Daddy's for daytime or takeout.

A place with great martinis? Plenty of places but the bars in The W Midtown probably my favorite for good drinks albeit expensive.

A good place for breakfast? Thumbs Up Diner (Several Locations) or Social House (Same owner as Rare).

A nice chill spot or some clubs that play house music? Mostly promoter driven so the locations can change check back sooner to the date

Any restaurants we should make sure to check out while in town?
Plenty depending on your tastes...My personal favorite is Rathbuns, Cafe Circa, Tamarind Seed, Rare

Any events/parties going on before or after the Classic? Mostly promoter driven so the locations havent been announced yet check back in a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 11:02 AM
 
50 posts, read 113,904 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
A good place for soul food? Check out Rare for a more upscale/scenester vibe or Busy Bee/Big Daddy's for daytime or takeout.

A place with great martinis? Plenty of places but the bars in The W Midtown probably my favorite for good drinks albeit expensive.

A good place for breakfast? Thumbs Up Diner (Several Locations) or Social House (Same owner as Rare).

A nice chill spot or some clubs that play house music? Mostly promoter driven so the locations can change check back sooner to the date

Any restaurants we should make sure to check out while in town?
Plenty depending on your tastes...My personal favorite is Rathbuns, Cafe Circa, Tamarind Seed, Rare

Any events/parties going on before or after the Classic? Mostly promoter driven so the locations havent been announced yet check back in a few weeks.
Thanks, Atlantasfinest! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
 
Location: 30080
1,615 posts, read 2,063,348 times
Reputation: 878
On another note I probably like the Atlanta Classic the least out of all of them. I cant really explain why but the past two times ive been its just so dull. I always go to the parade though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM
 
50 posts, read 113,904 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
On another note I probably like the Atlanta Classic the least out of all of them. I cant really explain why but the past two times ive been its just so dull. I always go to the parade though.
I feel this way about the Orlando Classic as far as it being dull. I've never been to the Atlanta one, but a change of scenery is nice and it's always a pleasure to see the bands battle even though I know the Marching 100 will prevail, lol! Sorry, I'm a Rattler!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
 
1,667 posts, read 1,505,049 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by parle75 View Post
I feel this way about the Orlando Classic as far as it being dull. I've never been to the Atlanta one, but a change of scenery is nice and it's always a pleasure to see the bands battle even though I know the Marching 100 will prevail, lol! Sorry, I'm a Rattler!

I was a Wildcat. And Southern SHowed you guys up At the Honda Battle of the bands this year. Famu is nothing like it used to be when I was in School in the 90s We use to live for Famu. Atlanta Classic is very boring and people just really come to see the Bands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
 
Location: 30080
1,615 posts, read 2,063,348 times
Reputation: 878
Yea the dome clears out after halftime.. its like a stampede lol. I wish we could get SU in a classic here though. But the after parties and clubs will be off the chain afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 AM
 
50 posts, read 113,904 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I was a Wildcat. And Southern SHowed you guys up At the Honda Battle of the bands this year. Famu is nothing like it used to be when I was in School in the 90s We use to live for Famu. Atlanta Classic is very boring and people just really come to see the Bands...
I was at FAMU in the 90s. I graduated in '97 and admittedly, I don't follow the band's performances so that's fine if they were "showed up" this year at the Honda Battle of the Bands. It's always been just entertainment to me. I'm just looking forward to hanging out and getting away from South Florida for a bit. I'm looking forward to it. I won't be bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: ATL by way of Los Angeles
394 posts, read 531,434 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
On another note I probably like the Atlanta Classic the least out of all of them. I cant really explain why but the past two times ive been its just so dull. I always go to the parade though.
The only year that I went to the Atlanta Football Classic was the year that I got free tickets from work. I may be biased since I went to Southern and have been to several Bayou Classics, but the Atlanta Football Classic just seems like another random game. I respect both schools and bands, but the overall "flavor" seems to be missing from this Classic.

I think what hurts some of these events is that although there are plenty of FAMU and TSU alums here, the bulk of those school's fan bases are not in the Atlanta area. I think this is also what hurt the old Heritage Bowl and similar events. Instead of getting a lot of people who are fanatical about their schools or even their conference, you get people who are either only there to see the bands or who just don't anything else to do that weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top