U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,487 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of moving from Northern VA to a the Atlanta, GA are. I was wondering if Marietta, Georgia would be a good area to move to and if not what would be. We will be having a family and would just like to know a good place to move to. We would be leasing to beginning and eventually plan on purchasing a permanent residence. My wife is an insurance agent and I am an accountant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,487 times
Default Part two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtown30 View Post
My wife and I are in the process of moving from Northern VA to a the Atlanta, GA are. I was wondering if Marietta, Georgia would be a good area to move to and if not what would be. We will be having a family and would just like to know a good place to move to. We would be leasing to beginning and eventually plan on purchasing a permanent residence. My wife is an insurance agent and I am an accountant.
I forgot to say that we are on about a $1,400 a month rental budget.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM

196 posts, read 652,101 times
Staying Northeast of the city is my recommendation. Lots of opportunity for the professions you mention in Buford, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Grayson, Loganville, etc. Good place to start/raise the family but also close enough to visit downtown whenever you would like. For $1400 month, I would go ahead and purchase a home. You can get a new home for that payment in the $250-$300K range in the areas mentioned...Let the equity start building and hopefully the appreciation will continue at a fair pace!!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Location: I live in Dekalb county in the Dunwoody area just outside of 285
18 posts, read 70,432 times
of the areas the previous poster made, grayson and loganville would be better choices but they are far. you mentioned marietta in your question, and it is a great area. you could definitely find rent in your price range. why are you wanted to rent first. i agree with going ahead and making your purchase sooner than later for lots of reasons. such as it's a buyers market and you can get a fair deal now with the interest rates still reasonable. we don't know the future. as to marietta over another area, the questions begs itself. where will you be working? what do you like to do when you aren't working. traffic is not great here by far and it's only getting worse. if you can live closed to your work, it saves not only on gas but it gives you more time with your family instead of in traffic. as a realtor, i have sold all over the metro area, and i do mean all over. the one thing i've learned is pick and area that's in your budget and closest to your "life".

Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 PM

167 posts, read 680,149 times
I would suggest Buford, Duluth or Lawrenceville if you want to be closer to what Gwinnett has to offer (the Arena, Cultural Arts Center, great shopping). Grayson and Loganville are nice areas, but they are a bit far out and away from these amenities. I've mentioned in other posts that the downtown Lawrenceville area is going through a revitalization. I encourage several to consider this area while the prices are still not too outrageous, although it's not the most affordable area in Gwinnett right now. I see prices jumping in this area within the next five years.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,728 times
Madtown30,

I lived two years in Pentagon city before moving back to the Atlanta area. I currently live in Marietta and highly reccommend it. Compared to NoVa you will find this area very affordable. The only downside to most of Atlanta's suburbs is that they do lack a lot of the urban feel that you find in places like Arlington, Old Town, Ballston etc... Most of the suburbs consist of endless amounts of subdivisions, roads, strip malls, chain restaurants etc.... Marietta is good though in that it does have a downtown square area with some local shops, restaurants, and bars. Kennesaw mountain is also very close which is great for running and hiking...if you're into the outdoors. You're also not too far away from midtown/downtown atl...about a 60 minute commute during rush hour (30 min otherwise).

I also lived in Gwinnett county (Duluth) and didn't quite like it as much, but it is very similar to Marietta. I would also highly reccommend renting...that way when you go to buy you'll have lived in the area and you'll know yourself what areas you like and don't like.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 41,349 times
Default Moving to Atlanta from VA

Marietta or the Smyrna area would be great.. close to downtown yet not so cluttered . Great restuarants and lots of things to do. Traffic is a major drawback for Gwinnett, Lawrenceville area. If you live in Smyrna area traffic is as not bad .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or