Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:36 AM

248 posts, read 648,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I see police cars every day, but I can't remember the last time I saw a cop standing on a sidewalk watching people in any area of downtown. As I said before, I rarely go to Five Points proper, but I'm in Fairlie-Poplar/Woodruff Park area (on the edge of Five Points) all week.
I'm not familiar with the situation during the weekday mornings and afternoons, but I can tell you that at nights I've been really impressed with the police presence in Fairlie-Poplar. Especially since GSU is back in session, there are police in cars, on foot and on bike patrolling the area regularly.

Centennial Park is patrolled well too. The police presence oddly disappears as you go north or south of this area, though. I'll walk up to Max Lager's, for instance, and I rarely see police around that area of Hardy Ivy Park on up to Ivan Allen Blvd. Castleberry Hill could use more police presence too (though I say this mostly because my car was broken into there a couple of years ago and I'm still bitter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
I'm not familiar with the situation during the weekday mornings and afternoons, but I can tell you that at nights I've been really impressed with the police presence in Fairlie-Poplar. Especially since GSU is back in session, there are police in cars, on foot and on bike patrolling the area regularly.
You'll also occaisionally see Federal Protective Service/Department of Homeland Security vehicles and officers in the area since there's a federal courthouse in the neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
You'll also occaisionally see Federal Protective Service/Department of Homeland Security vehicles and officers in the area since there's a federal courthouse in the neighborhood.
And also the federal building down on Peachtree. Unfortunately, they really don't do anything to solve the issues downtown has with panhandlers, homeless, etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Also the Sam Nunn Federal Building/Atlanta Federal Center/Richard Russell Federal Courthouse on Forsyth and Broad Streets...There are tons of patrolmen in the area but they do nothing to stop panhandling, homeless.

With the APD being recently relocated Downtown South of Five Points maybe this will start to change?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And also the federal building down on Peachtree. Unfortunately, they really don't do anything to solve the issues downtown has with panhandlers, homeless, etc.
That's true, but you're probably not as likely to be victimized if there's a DHS car parked nearby, so all in all, their presence is a good thing.

Would you like the DHS/federal government to have a hand in "solving" homelessness and panhandling issues in Atlanta?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
This is unfortunate.

However, is this guy making too big a deal out of getting ripped off at Five Points?

Dutch tourist: ‘Don’t know if I’ll ever come back'

Old 09-16-2011, 11:35 AM
JPD

"He said he’ll wait in his room at the Western Inn and Suites at 1200 Winchester in Smyrna until he departs for the Netherlands."

I know first hand how unpleasant it is to be the victim of all sorts of crimes, but this is a reaction I would expect from someone who had been raped or tortured, and not the victim of petty theft. Hiding in a hotel room? Over a stolen camera? Really?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
"He said he’ll wait in his room at the Western Inn and Suites at 1200 Winchester in Smyrna until he departs for the Netherlands."

I know first hand how unpleasant it is to be the victim of all sorts of crimes, but this is a reaction I would expect from someone who had been raped or tortured, and not the victim of petty theft. Hiding in a hotel room? Over a stolen camera? Really?
It kind of makes me wonder if the Dutch have gone Euro-soft.

Getting ripped off while you're trying to enjoy a chicken wrap is no picnic. Yet we Southerners are a hardy breed and I would not let that drive me all the way back to Smyrna.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what you think... it matters what other people think. It might not seem like a big deal to YOU, but to this guy, it could have been the first time something like that has ever happened to him and it happened here.

Overall, parts of downtown Atlanta do not leave a good impression to most people, especially in the Five Points/Underground area. That part of the city has so much potential, but doesn't seem like anyone in charge really gives a damn about cleaning it up. A lot of the stores/fast food places cater to pretty much one type of demographic and that's why there is so little diversity in that immediate area. There's just too many bums and sketchy people loitering, shouting, etc... it's just not pleasant and they wander into the nicer parts of downtown like Broad Street. What might help is having police - both APD and Georgia State - on horseback and on the street, not just in their cars driving around.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This is unfortunate.

However, is this guy making too big a deal out of getting ripped off at Five Points?

Dutch tourist: ‘Don’t know if I’ll ever come back'
Quote:
To add insult to injury, the tourist said the restaurant was full of people but no one would come to his aid. He said at least two people were “inches away” watching the incident unfold.
“Nobody saw anything,” Dinckgreve said. “Nobody could help me.”

Welcome to New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta