U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 21,509 times

Advertisements

Me and some college buddies are about to move to the Atlanta area. We have pretty much narrowed it down between the Vinings / Virginia Highlands / Brookhaven areas.

We are pretty much looking for a community with lots of young professionals. A walkable nightlife scene will be even a better plus. If not walkable than places pretty close by.

Our budget is kind of on the low size. For a 3 bedroom we are looking to spend between 1000 - 1500.

Is it even possible to find a place in those areas within our budget? What are some pros/cons of the three areas and if you were a young professional straight out of college where would you live?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM

739 posts, read 1,813,077 times
Doing a quick search on any MLS site is seems you have a few 3 bd options in those areas. Older homes 80's and older but you have options none the less. All 3 areas are great, fresh out of school professional I would think that you would like Virginia Highland a little better. Walkable, nice neighborhood watering holes. Mostly young families but close to city attractions and nightspots in midtown. Historically, the demographics in Vinings and Brookhaven are have been older/retirees, but in the last few years you can see a shift to a younger crowd with new developments/restaurants and condos that have sprung up. You can definitely see this younger shift on Friday and Saturday nights at the area restaurants/pubs. I know you seems set on these three areas but you may want to check out West Midtown Area/Westside. It's a relatively new area that has gotten better over the years with great new restaurants shops etc. It's a new trendy area with tons of young professionals. I know some posters live over there so maybe they might be able to chime in on this thread.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,616,966 times
Vinnings - No
Brookhaven - Maybe
Virginia Highlands - Definitely

Vinnings - Do not go the Vinnings route. Really not much of a nightlife. Not a walking community.

Brookhaven - Would be fun. I would focus my search to house rentals in the Drew Valley and Ashford Park neighborhoods. You'll be looking at the high end of your price range most likely. There are new restaurants and bars on the Dresden Corridor. If you're not looking at a house, there are some newer apartments in the area as well within the Sembler mixed use project: LINK (http://www.sembler.com/gallery.php?id=35 - broken link)
The apartments are built, but the stores in are in the midst of construction. You may have to deal with construction annoyances.

Virginia Highlands - This is a great area. Also check out just south of this area, Little 5 Points. Little 5 is a bit alternative in its crowd, but a great, high energy, eclectic area. Va Highlands is a true walking community. You'll see people walking up and down N. Highland all day. Great selection of bars and restaurants. Lots of young people. The area may be out of your price range. ...typically high rent.

My buddies and I rented a house in North Buckhead out of college (Chaistain Park) which is convenient to Buckhead bars/restaurants. If I had to do it over again, we would all do the Va Highlands no question. Good luck...jealous of that stage in life...its a fun one!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,782,592 times
Definitely go for the Highlands...I lived there for 3 years after college and it was awesome. If you can rent a small house near the bars/restaurants that would be perfect. Vinings is OK, there is a high proportion of single young females there, which is nice, but the overall area is not as fun as VA-HI, in my opinion (I lived there for 2-3 years after I lived in the Highlands). Brookhaven is fine in that it is a short drive to Highlands, Midtown and Buckhead, but the area you would likely live in (ie, east of Peachtree) has some very shady areas on the fringes and there is a lot of under the radar crime in that area (have a relative in law enforcement in that precinct).

Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,509 times
Thanks for all the help guys / gals. Chances are we are going be looking at apartment complexes vs renting a house. My guess is that would be the cheaper route. Yall have any good suggestions for cool apartment complexes either in the Vinings or Virginia Highlands.

I plan on contacting promove later this week but just seeing if yall have any ideas?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 63,194 times
If you go VA Highlands, renting a house is definitely the way to go .... cheaper, bigger, better ... craigslist probably the best bet in finding a place or driving around and calling signs that are posted in yards.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 PM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,030 times
Default Virginia-Highland All the Way!

I'm a Virginia-Highland resident and I can say that my most favorite thing about being in Atlanta is living in this neighborhood. It has everything you are looking for. This may be a little long but has details about the neighborhood you'll need to know.

The Pros of living in Virginia-Highland:

If you are looking for an area inhabited and frequented by young professionals with great restaurants and bars within walking distance, this is definitely the place to be (lots of single ladies hang out in VA-HI in nearby areas). There are also very nice boutiques.

Everything worth doing in Atlanta is no more than a 5-15 minute drive away. It's very close to museums, and all other cool neighborhoods worth hanging out in are walking distance or a very short drive away depending on where you are in the neighborhood. The cool nearby hang-out neighborhoods are Midtown, Buckhead, Little 5 Points, East Atlanta, Inman Park/Reynolds Town, Oakhurst and downtown Decatur. Downtown Atlanta is also a 5 minute drive away. Piedmont Park is near by, there are tennis courts in the area and Emory University is very close (I jog all the way there occasionally). If you want to bike there's is Freedom Park and a bike path in the area. Stone Mountain Park is 20-25 minutes away. Everything worth doing in Atlanta is close in all directions. Other nice neighborhoods are Morningside and Lenox Park (though expensive). The Druid Hills neighborhood with all it's stately Georgian mini-mansions is on the other side and is a great neighborhood for walking/jogging.

Virginia-Highland is on public transportation and has at least 4 bus lines that run through the neighborhood and is near three MARTA train stations, two of which have free parking. You can walk to the grocery store (Publix or Kroger depending on where you are) and there's a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood. There are also restaurants/bars and a movie theatre in the shopping plaza where Trader Joe's is. There's a Border's and two Whole Foods in the area and a shopping area with Target and Best Buy that also has restaurants called the Edgewood Shopping District is very close, after Little Five Points.

The main street near VA-HI is Ponce de Leon (which goes directly to downtown Decatur and veers off into Oakhurst at E. Lake Rd.) and there's also a movie theatre on his street as well called the Plaza Theatre (both of these theatres show independent films and the Plaza frequently runs the Rocky Horror Picture Show).

The neighborhood is extremely safe. I've never had a bad thing happen the four years that I've lived here. In fact, I moved to this area from the suburbs because the 'burbs were not as safe and of course I didn't have as much to do. You can jog at 5 in the morning or at midnight and no one will bother you. I don't even lock my car doors. This is a very walkable, joggable neighborhood. You will see people jogging all day and night every day.

I hear Vinings is nice but I can't vouch for it. I live in town near everything so there's no need for me to hang out in Vinings. Why live in the 'burbs when VA-HI has everything, including sidewalks?

The Cons:

As far is finding a three bedroom for $1500 a month, you aren't going to find that here. That's the going rate for a two bedroom. The cheapest two bedroom I've seen is around $900 and the cheapest three bedroom I've seen in the neighborhood is $2700. I got lucky in that I live in a cheap 2 bdrm apartment in VA-HI (it was $600 when I moved in in 2006 and it's now $700), but it's very small. You can get a 2bdrm in your price range if you are willing to drop one roommate. If you don't want to drop a roommate, another suggestion would be to try to find a place in Oakhurst or near downtown Decatur or the Toco Hills neighborhood which is just a few minutes away. The rents may be slightly but not much because these are very nice, very safe areas as well.

Because Virginia-Highland is in town, the apartment buildings are old and are all mostly very small studios, one and two bedroom apartments. You'd have to rent a house in Virginia-Highland to get the space you'd need. In Atlanta apartments don't come utilities included and you will most likely have to pay gas, electric and water. There are only a few large, modern apartment complexes here.

The going rate for single-family homes in this neighborhood is between $450k-$2 million so it's costly to rent a house here. However, you could very likely find a house to rent in Little Five Points (the hipster part of town which is literally across the way from Virginia-Highland), Candler Park or Inman Park/Reynoldstown that is more affordable. They are still close to all the cool stuff and are relatively safe but you may have the occasional car/house break-ins.

If you move to Atlanta, as a resident of of Virginia-Highland, I can totally vouch for it's coolness and would highly recommend it to young, single professionals. I'll be leaving here for a job out of town (can't find a job here in Atlanta after being laid off) and I'm truly going to miss living here.

If you have any questions you can PM me.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-08-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM

426 posts, read 1,266,001 times
Lifestyle VA Highlands, price not so much. But I second Altanta_BDs suggestions of Candler Park, Little 5, etc and I would add Kirkwood and perhaps East Atlanta to the mix to get closer to your price point. But I think that ATLHRLGUY may really have the best combination of the two for you in his suggestion of Westside (or whatever they are calling that area now). In the area around Howell Mill south of 17th. Hip in an industrial sort of way.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,643 times
Ok, so I recently got a job in Kennesaw and when considering area's to live in/around ATL the only commute (that I am aware of) under 30 min. is the Vinings area. With that being said, are their any spots in the Vinings area that anyone could suggest for a female in her late 20's? I am a professional, but really love the feel/vibe of the highlands. Any suggestions?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

33 posts, read 49,119 times
I lived in Morningside for over a decade. I can't think of a single reason why Vinings or Brookhaven would even come close to Virginia Highlands for any purposes, especially for someone seeking what you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or