Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 25,106 times

Advertisements

Hey all, Im new to this forum and may possibly move to Atlanta. Im thinking about taking a job in Cumming however when I visited it seemed pretty boring out that way (dont mean to offend anyone living there) so it made me think about where would I live. Im I single late 20s gal with no kids. If I decide to take this job I have no clue where to live. I would like to live near people I know,I have friends that live in the Marietta, midtown, and Norcross areas but they seem too far away for a commute. So Im stuck. I was thinking maybe Dunwoody but thats a 40 mile commute per day x 5 days = 200 miles per week, yikes!! So maybe Johns Creek or Alpharetta?? Are there other single professionals in these areas? Any other suggestions?? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misschealsi View Post
Hey all, Im new to this forum and may possibly move to Atlanta. Im thinking about taking a job in Cumming however when I visited it seemed pretty boring out that way (dont mean to offend anyone living there) so it made me think about where would I live. Im I single late 20s gal with no kids. If I decide to take this job I have no clue where to live. I would like to live near people I know,I have friends that live in the Marietta, midtown, and Norcross areas but they seem too far away for a commute. So Im stuck. I was thinking maybe Dunwoody but thats a 40 mile commute per day x 5 days = 200 miles per week, yikes!! So maybe Johns Creek or Alpharetta?? Are there other single professionals in these areas? Any other suggestions?? TIA
No...there aren't any other single professionals in those areas- you're not permitted to live there unless you're married and have at least two kids.....

Since most "singles type activities" normally take place on the weekend, why not live close to work, and just drive around on the weekends? You'll still be able to find a gym, local bars/restaurants, etc., for nightly stuff during the week wherever you end up, but won't have to drive in every day just so you've got convenience on the weekends.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM

52 posts, read 158,407 times
Actually, Norcross isn't that bad of a commute to Cumming if you pop onto 400. Plus you would be going against the main flow of traffic...

Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Didnt realize that Cumming was such a large area, so if it helps I should add that the area that Im referring to for possible employment is near the new mall, I belive its called the Avenue Forsyth and Northside Hospital. Thanks for the idea about Norcross. There has to be young professionals that live in these areas, I dont think everyone lives in Buckhead, Dunwoody, Midtown, etc. Although I would like to be closer to the city, coming across jobs is pretty hard these days(esp in Atlanta metro) so gotta take what I can get even if it means out in the boondies. Out in suburbs of Duluth, Alpharetta, Norcross, Roswell are their places where young professionals gather/network for happy hour, etc?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edetore View Post
Actually, Norcross isn't that bad of a commute to Cumming if you pop onto 400. Plus you would be going against the main flow of traffic...

Ive been looking at the Norcross area and actually 400 seems pretty far from this area. Does anyone know what the commute will be like on GA-141 aka Peachtree Parkway and Medlock Bridge Road going North in the am and South in the pm?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
one of my co/worker uses that route from our office beween exit 12/13 off of ga400 go to go down to i285 he says it not bad, they are making it 4 lanes but it still under contruction. But it better then getting on ga400 south and on to i285 south/east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta