U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM

46 posts, read 209,767 times

Advertisements

Hows the commute from Alpharetta to Chamblee area? How long would it generally take to commute one way in this location?

We are considering a move from Florida. We will be working in the Chamblee area, but would like to live in the Alpharetta or Roswell area. We have two kids (ages 11 and 14) and are trying to decide on a nice area with good schools. Preferably newer homes, even having one built if building is an option. We'd like to buy a home for 300k or less.

What is the GA state tax rate? We arent used to paying a state tax, so that is something we wanted to factor in. Is it a percentage of your income? How about approximate property tax on a 300k home in these areas?

Can you see the mountains from the Alpharetta area? We havent been up that way in a long time and I just cant remember.

Thanks so much for any info you can provide!! Here's our basic info:

1. Budget - 300k and under
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) commute, will be working in Chamblee area
4. Children(public school vs. private) 2 kids middle school aged/high school age
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - suburban, but like being close to shopping
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? yes, if available

Last edited by JamieFL; 09-10-2010 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: add in info
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 PM

3,576 posts, read 7,532,925 times
Though the city of Chamblee is actually fairly small, there is a large area that uses Chamblee as a mailing address. do you have a general sense of the area.

I might consider the Peachtree Corners area, though newer is hard to find. The schools are good and the commute would be easier.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM

46 posts, read 209,767 times
I do not have a sense of the area. I have actually never been there, but we are planning to go visit sometime next week, just to look around. Do you know how long of a commute it would be to live in the Alpharetta area and work in Chamblee? We would be working on Buford Hwy. We are just trying to get an idea of where to live and had heard that Alpharetta/Roswell was very nice. Plus we have looked at homes in this area online and it looks like we could get what we want and the schools looked very good also... so I just wanted to see what kind of commute we would be looking at.

(of course we are open to suggestions on other areas as well)

Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 PM

842 posts, read 1,327,868 times
Your commute would be GA400 > 285 EAST > Buford Hwy. If there is traffic on 285, you can get off early at Chamblee Dunwoody and backroad it.

Most likely you are going to see traffic at the intersection of GA400/285. Some days are heavier than others. Then, when you get on 285, the Buford Hwy exit is immediately before the intersection of 285 and I-85 which also sees a lot of traffic (not so much in the morning, so you have that going for you....afternoon it is a nightmare). I would guesstimate that you are anywhere from 30 minutes on a good day depending how far you live off of GA400 and 1 hr on a bad day.

On you commute home, you are going to see a lot of traffic on GA400 northbound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta