U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times

Advertisements

black racism

Shirley Franklin ponied up and joined a political message this last election for the Commisioner race saying voting for the white guy would be like going back to being hosed down with water hoses.

oh yeah and don't forget Campbell.

oh yeah and the black sheriff for Decatur was secretly audio taped stating that 'he doesn't want to give them white boys promotions'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 AM

44,577 posts, read 43,103,689 times
So many people like to claim that Atlanta is "too busy to hate". I live in the metro Atlanta area and I can say that this is far from true. We have problems on all sides. The government in Atlanta has problems and the outside areas have problems to. Government corruption is very apparent in Atlanta proper as well as the rest of Atlanta. Look at the growth. No one coming to GA settles inside the city of Atlanta unless they absolutely have to. They go to Aplharetta, Roswell, Gwinnett, etc. Corruption could have a role in why the MARTA rail line is not extending to the suburbs.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 AM

826 posts, read 2,733,713 times
I am unsure of how this turned into a race issue. The city of Atlanta has its own city government. The only problem I have had with the city government was trying to get a Trash Can. Don't all big cities have corruption problems?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 AM

826 posts, read 2,733,713 times
"No one coming to GA settles inside the city of Atlanta unless they absolutely have to. "
Sorry this isnt true, I chose to live within the city limits. Many of us would rather live in the City of Atlanta, hence the change in demographics mentioned in this post

Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
"No one coming to GA settles inside the city of Atlanta unless they absolutely have to. "
Sorry this isnt true, I chose to live within the city limits. Many of us would rather live in the City of Atlanta, hence the change in demographics mentioned in this post
I agree. I can't figure out why property values would be higher in Atlanta then the suburbs if nobody wanted to live in Atlanta. I'm much happier living in Atlanta then I would be in the suburbs.

As far as corruption I'm not sure where these claims are coming from. Every big city has corruption problems (look at Chicago for example). Anything I've seen here I thought was minor. Does anybody have any proof of major corruption happening in the government?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I agree. I can't figure out why property values would be higher in Atlanta then the suburbs if nobody wanted to live in Atlanta. I'm much happier living in Atlanta then I would be in the suburbs.

As far as corruption I'm not sure where these claims are coming from. Every big city has corruption problems (look at Chicago for example). Anything I've seen here I thought was minor. Does anybody have any proof of major corruption happening in the government?
corruption is everywhere, in all cities

Bill Campbell was found guilty of tax evasion yet not guilty on 'illegal' payoffs, but the tax evasion was related to the money he didn't declare. This money was from contractors.

Shirley Franklin is in the clear and I'm not accusing her, but all the shady illegal drugs and money activity with her ex-husband's business and her kids illegal activities, it's hard to think she wasn't aware of any of it and hard to imagine her hand isn't in the cookie jar as well.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM

187 posts, read 842,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post

Bill Campbell was found guilty of tax evasion yet not guilty on 'illegal' payoffs, but the tax evasion was related to the money he didn't declare. This money was from contractors.

You mention Bill Campbell as though he still mattters. This guy has been history for some time now and I am sure his name is rarely mentioned. As was stated, he is serving time for these crimes as he should be. So in other words justice is served!

Shirley Franklin is in the clear and I'm not accusing her, but all the shady illegal drugs and money activity with her ex-husband's business and her kids illegal activities, it's hard to think she wasn't aware of any of it and hard to imagine her hand isn't in the cookie jar as well.
Compared to past mayors, Mayor Franklin is almost angelic. To suggest that her association with her ex-husband and childrens lives somewhat links her to such terrible decisions or crimes committed by others is completely absurd. I agree with others that almost ALL major cities have some level of corruption in them. I do think that Atlanta has experience small-scale corruption in comparison big cities like Chicago, Detroit, and Philadelphia.

Last edited by Derrick_TheRiskTaker; 07-03-2007 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Bill Campbell is definitely an example of corruption but he's in the past. He is no longer in office so the problems associated with his administration can't be associated with the city government of today. I was referring to the comments made by pirate_lafitte which seem to claim their are extensive problems with corruption in both Atlanta and the suburbs, today. I still haven't seen any evidence of corruption with current administrations.

I agree that Franklin's connections to some pretty serious illegal activity are a little suspect but even if she was aware of what was going on, it wouldn't classify as government corruption. Personally, I think she had done some good things for the city. She could be better, but she could be a lot worse. Its tough for her to get anything done for the region when none of the suburbs or the state of Georgia can agree on what needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post

Old 07-03-2007, 09:37 PM

187 posts, read 842,136 times
Could anyone tell me how long the mayor (Atlanta) can stay in office? How many terms?

Old 07-04-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick_TheRiskTaker View Post
To suggest that her association with her ex-husband and childrens lives somewhat links her to such terrible decisions or crimes committed by others is completely absurd.
Moderator cut: Removed I said she was in the clear, but it does raise a red flag, it's not absurd.

Last edited by xxman777; 07-04-2007 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: Personal/Off Topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or