U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 88,657 times

Advertisements

Hi
Looking to relocate to GA, Gwinnett County within the next 6 months and I have read several threads but still have a few questions

I have seen a lot of subdivisions that all look alike, my husband and I are prett savvy with home repairs and construction..what is the process if you want to modify the outside ..brick front, etc..in your subdivision..coming from NYC you can do just about anything to your home as loong as you have a permit..but I hear that in the south you cant make many changes and also the homeowners assoication has to agree

also...am scared of snakes and here that this can be a problem..is this true for Gwinnett county..I have three children, one is a toddler..dont want him out back and get bitten by a snake..

one last thing..how about weather..when there are really bad storms are there storm shelters, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 AM

75 posts, read 342,326 times
Default hey

Hey lovely,
Here in gwinnett, if you are in a hoa neighborhood you do have to submit a plan for any changes to the structure or grounds. I have lived here since the 90s and have seen very few snakes. You should be more concerned with the traffic and rude people that are here now. We have a great climate here but the occasional bad weather is the price we pay.feel free to ask me questions about gwinnett.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,293 times
Like most of suburban Atlanta, Gwinnett has a LOT of different subdivisions. If you're looking for a home that you can make significant changes to, look for homes that have no HOA or ads that say "no restrictions." I lived in just such a subdivision in another county and I could have painted my house pink if I wanted to.

As for the snakes, you really shouldn't worry about that at all. I've lived here for 10 years (and raised 2 kids here) and I've only actually seen 2 snakes - both harmless.

The weather here is really unpredictable - no area is "safe" from storm damage. The good thing is, almost all newer homes here have basements - that's what you'll use for a "storm shelter."

Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,216,587 times
Gwinnett is full of many cookie cutter developments with the vast majority being under a HOA. Though some may differ I prefer a tight HOA, being an ole southern boy I can tell you from experience that if you don't have an HOA in the Southern states you may find your neighbors house develop a WV state flower "one of them there giant TV dishes in the front yard" you may find a car lot in what used to be a driveway, in other words an illegal alien boarding home, etc. etc. etc.

The above may sound far fetched but with the Atlanta area being the #1 growth location with 100,000+ new residents per year you will find all kinds rolling in. Another is the run a muk developers themselves dropping homes where ever there is a blade of grass to bulldoze. Gwinnett County's development chairman happens to be one of Georgia's largest developers. Now isn't that special Conflict of interest anyone? By having this "issue" Gwinnett, along with the rest of the Atlanta metro area has a housing glut with over 100,000 homes currently on the market. Take all the above and what do you get? Rentals galore, again, remove an HOA and your facing consequences.

Weather, it's hot and very humid. Today alone was 93 degrees in the shade with 94% humidity. Storms due happen with the largest issue and rare is what I refer to as Southern Ground Boltz. Strong lightening that hits the ground with a violent force. I have seen this at close range 2 times in 3 years.

Snakes. You will have snakes in any warm humid climate. In this area it is mostly old milk/barn and black snakes. They won't hurt you, and they keep the rodent population down.

Good Luck

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM

27 posts, read 88,657 times
Thumbs up Thank You

Thank You All so much for all of your answers and advice. All points well taken and all of my questions have been answered thoroughly! I really appreciate these threads , its been a tremendous help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or