U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM

7,694 posts, read 9,534,752 times

Advertisements

Well, we never heard from that OP again....I wonder what she ended up doing. She's got posts all over, Atlanta, Charleston, Jacksonville, Iowa.

I don't mean to not answer the question about Atlanta, but to me, the OPs predicament is a total no-brainer. Would I rather live south of Atlanta where family life might be fine, but I'm not particularly close to anything, or do I want to live in a place with an even milder climate that has a city located on a huge river, very nice beaches within the metro, and is only a couple of hours from Savannah, Disney World, and is even a doable drive to Miami?

Every situation is different, but I think there is a much stronger draw to Jacksonville than Atlanta. It's one of the few places that has a nice beach area but also a decent sized city nearby. The only places Atlanta beats Jacksonville is if you like arts and culture we have more of that, if you travel a lot we have more direct flights, and public education throughout Duval county is pretty universally terrible from what I hear.

If I was offered a job making as much money as I make in Atlnata in Jacksonville, it wouldn't even be a contest. I'd live near Atlantic or Jacksonville beach if I could, and if not, in Nocatee. If I felt like art and culture and Jacksonville wasn't cutting it, I'd day trip it to Savannah or Tampa. And I'd just suck up the 45 minute connecting flight to Atlanta for travel and consider it the cost of living by an ocean. I think that's a fair trade off. I'd pay for private school for a couple of years for my kids (if I had them) then try to get them into the magnet program that leads to Stanton prep school.

I guess everybody is different, but I can't fathom how that isn't a preferable lifestyle to Peachtree City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 AM

731 posts, read 644,978 times
some people are just not beach people. I've been to Jacksonville a few times and I found it to be a very boring city. And I actually did not find the beaches all that nice. All things being equal, there are far more exciting places to live than either atl of jax

Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 3,815 times
Peachtree City is going to be a great place for you to move. It is a nice, safe area that is accompanied with great school districts, also if you all are into fitness there are a lot of great Gyms such as American Body Works. If you are looking for a place close to the airport another great city is Douglasville. Again this as well is a great area, excellent school system, and great family events going on, as well as fitness centers variety from La Fitness, to many other places. In addition it is about 19 miles away from the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International airport.

Good Luck
-Bodyplex Atlanta

Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 AM

11 posts, read 15,756 times
Fayette County and Peachtree City peaked in the 90's and have been going down hill ever since. Coweta was hot in the 00's but many of the Coweta (and Fayette too) natives went to Meriwether County in the last 10 years. About the only good thing PTC has going for it is their schools at the moment, but do you want to spend an extra 70-150K on a house with a postage stamp lot to get access to their schools, or would rather live a little further out, with a much less expensive home and send your kids to private schools? I don't care how PTC schools rate compared to other public schools, they still don't hold a candle to an average private school.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 AM

449 posts, read 955,520 times
From what I know Fayette County and Coweta are great places to live. Low crime and inexpensive housing.

Great school systems too.

I'm more of a south Fulton person since I'm single, but will probably look into living in one of those counties if I ever get married and have children.

Either there or Henry or Gwinett

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM

12,916 posts, read 20,985,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Blairsville View Post
Fayette County and Peachtree City peaked in the 90's and have been going down hill ever since. Coweta was hot in the 00's but many of the Coweta (and Fayette too) natives went to Meriwether County in the last 10 years. About the only good thing PTC has going for it is their schools at the moment, but do you want to spend an extra 70-150K on a house with a postage stamp lot to get access to their schools, or would rather live a little further out, with a much less expensive home and send your kids to private schools? I don't care how PTC schools rate compared to other public schools, they still don't hold a candle to an average private school.

Um, Fayette County and Peachtree City are not going downhill. At all.

They are very nice areas and fantastic places to live--with top-rate schools.

Coweta County is a very nice area as well--with great school.

You are new to this forum--please do not mislead people by spreading false information.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM

13,109 posts, read 15,917,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in Blairsville View Post
First of all, the population of Meriwhether County has been stagnant or in steady DECLINE for years. In fact, the county lost about 1,000 people between 2000-2010. So your notion that "many" natives of Fayette and Coweta have moved there is complete and total BS.

Second, Fayette County Schools remain top-notch and are indeed as good or better than many private schools. Thousands of families are VERY willing to pay more for a home in Fayette County so their kids can attend the local public schools. As long as the schools remain strong and a draw, Fayette County (and Coweta too) will not "decline."

Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 AM

11 posts, read 15,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Um, Fayette County and Peachtree City are not going downhill. At all.

They are very nice areas and fantastic places to live--with top-rate schools.

Coweta County is a very nice area as well--with great school.

You are new to this forum--please do not mislead people by spreading false information.

Fact: The Clayton County side of Fayette county is a slum and its spreading toward PTC and this is why many have moved to Coweta and Meriwether.

Your top rated schools are still GA public Schools and being a top rated public school in GA is nothing to brag about.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM

30 posts, read 30,874 times
Andy Blairsville,

You may have your own personal opinion about PTC and fayette county, but most of recent data and surveys from reputable magazines such as Money and Blooomberg have attested to peachtree City as one of the best places to live in Georgia. For instance, recently Bloomberg has listed PTC as the best place to raise kids in Georgia in 2013. The Best Places to Raise Kids 2013 - Finding the Best in Small Towns - Businessweek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or