U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 9,040 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a single black woman who was born and raised in Philadelphia. I'm now looking to move to the Atlanta area but I'm having a bit of trouble in reasearching middle class areas. Let me say that I am not looking for a "white area" or a "black area", I'm just looking for a place where people will not be too hostile to me because of my race or the things that I buy( a nice car, clothing, etc.). It seems that a real estate agent will show you a home anywhere even if they know that you will not be welcomed in the area for whatever reason(race, class, whatever). Legally, I know that they can only say so much. I am looking for this home while still located in Philly and plan to travel down when I have narrowed my search to a specific area. Can anyone provide any tips that could help me in my research? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 02:13 PM

33 posts, read 89,266 times
Hi Liz,
I liv in Fla relocated from NY 2 yrs ago I cannot tell you how strange the people are in Fla. I am thinking about relocating to ATL I visit often the people seem okay for the most part. I feel more comfortable in ga than fla you have some great neighborhoods Marietta, Decatur, beautiful homes reasonalbly priced try contacting ziprealty.com you can start to view homes and get a feel for the area best of luck.....If I can be of any further assistance let me know

Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 PM

27 posts, read 116,179 times
If you are looking for a nice area, most nice areas in Atlanta are mixed with all kinds of races. European, Portugese, black, white, Jamaican, Asian, Hispanic, Bosnian, Russian, Irish, Persian etc. Atlanta seems to get more and more international every day. You may be surprised but Atlanta is not just black and white.

If you find acceptable homes in your price range, you may consider checking out the demographics of specific areas for factual data and statistics of all kinds. They include average incomes in the area, percentage of married people etc. It will surely give you an idea of whether or not it qualifies for your "middle class" designation. Also, there are many free demographic websites on the net. Real estate agents are not allowed to discuss such.

Best way to tell what homes look like and who lives in a neighborhood is by driving through it and looking around.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,444 times
Pretty much the whole metro area is middle class except parts of the city of Atlanta and a lot of Clayton county and parts of Dekalb County... these areas are rather poor. There are also areas in Atlanta and the northern metro area that are rather rich. But for the most part, it's all middle class. More lower-middle class to the east, west, and south sides of the metro area and upper-middle class on the north side of the metro area... of course there are exceptions.

Perhaps you could narrow it down some more. Metro Atlanta is made up of tons of little cities and communities (even the city of Atlanta is only a small fraction of the metro area) and there are way too many "middle class" areas to list, and you can't even just point in general directions because there can be a lot of variation within a small area. For example, take Elizabeth, Fair Oaks, and East Cobb. All three of these places have Marietta zip codes and a Marietta, GA address, but Elizabeth has a average household income of around $60,000 while Fair Oaks has an average household income of around $30,000. East Cobb has an average household income of around $150,000. Like I said, to the average person all three of these areas are just "Marietta" you could try to average it all out and call the Marietta area "middle class" but there are lower, middle, and upper class areas, and the same is true for the rest of Metro Atlanta. So until you can help us narrow down your search more, there's no short answer to the "middle class" areas of Metro Atlanta. Remember, Metro Atlanta is bigger than many entire states and encompasses is a huge amount of land, counties, cities, and communities.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppeal View Post
If you find acceptable homes in your price range, you may consider checking out the demographics of specific areas for factual data and statistics of all kinds. They include average incomes in the area, percentage of married people etc. It will surely give you an idea of whether or not it qualifies for your "middle class" designation. Also, there are many free demographic websites on the net. Real estate agents are not allowed to discuss such.
You should also note that Atlanta demographics reporting is rather complicated and most of the census-published information doesn't tell you anything of any use. This is because most of the Metro area is unincorporated and for the most part they only report the demographic data of the incorporated cities around the metro area... If you were to look up the "data" on Marietta for example, you'd get that Marietta is a city of around 60,000 people with pretty normal diversity and income. Which is completely true for the tiny area that is actually within Marietta city limits. What you won't get from the "data" is that well over 300,000 people have a Marietta address and zip code. Now all of a sudden Marietta has skyrocketed to near-Atlanta size. But since 70% of cobb county is unincorporated there is no census-published data on the vast majority of the area people are referring to when they say "Marietta". To get any real data takes a lot of digging and cross-referencing between multiple sources to figure out the data for exactly whatever area you're trying to research, since no one seems to know exactly where the boundaries lie because there are no boundaries in Atlanta, just a big sprawling metro area with some little cities sprinkled through the place, made all the more confusing by the various counties. There is a city called Johns Creek that has absolutely no demographic data because it was just incorporated. We're talking about an area of over 60,000 people here and one of the most sought-after places in metro Atlanta, with absolutely no information. The area may as well not even exist according to the US census. There is a an unincorporated edge city in Cobb County called Cumberland which has a population of over 100,000 people, a major mall, huge amounts of retail, and a skyline that contains more office space than downtown Miami, yet the place basically does not exist on paper because there's no Census data - again, it's just "county land" to them.

Last edited by GF72; 07-02-2007 at 01:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or