Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,758,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Deacon you know you are living in Atlanta--lol--with no disrespect to Alabama.
I think it's a city v town type of thing.
'The New South'.
I actually am currently living in Winston-Salem at the moment...I had to move here for medical reasons and I'm going through a lengthy recovery from surgery. I grew up here and really like it, but it's very different from Atlanta. I've read a lot on city-data about N.C. becoming more of a "blue state", but when I see Fox News on every lobby television of the many doctor's offices and hospitals it certainly makes me wonder if that is really true. My parents are conservative, so I'm around their many conservative friends as well. It hasn't been a problem or anything, but if I wanted to talk about politics I'm sure we would have some disagreements. Overall it's a wonderful place to live, but it's not easy to come across people with similar views to my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:55 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,838,265 times
I agree with what DeaconJ said about not being offended by the question of religion. You see that concern expressed A LOT on C-D and it has always puzzled me. I don't see why that is any more offensive or intrusive than where did you go to school, where do you work, do you have kids, what was your mother's maiden name or what do you like to drink? Yeah I guess it is a Southern thing but I sincerely think it is an attempt to be friendly, not necessarily be nosey. If you go through life with a chip on your shoulder and get all bent out of shape when people ask personal questions, you're going to have a tough time anywhere. Also, if you are truly comfortable and confident in your choice of poltics, religion, lifestyle, etc why do you need validation from others? I'm a gay guy and get asked occasionally if I'm dating a girl or when do I plan to get married and it doesn't bother me. If I don't think saying "I'm gay!" is the appropriate answer, I'll just fake it or change the subject. Most people know better than to ask things like that in the first place, and those that do aren't worth concerning myself with.

As for Decatur, I saw where the city recently changed its slogan from "A city of Homes, Schools and Churches" to "A city of Homes, Schools and Places of Worship." That ought to tell you something.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 AM

235 posts, read 342,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyshouse View Post
Decatur seems to have a pretty liberal community, but we were wondering if we would actually cross paths with this community at our kids sports games, school events, etc.
The question should be whether you would accidently cross paths with CONSERVATIVE or GOP members of the community at your kid's soccer game, and the answer is UNLIKELY. There just aren't that many in Decatur. Lots of lesbians, though.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:03 AM

436 posts, read 948,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyshouse View Post
Our family of 4 is considering a move to Decatur next summer for a job opportunity. My husband and I are born and bred east coast and midwesterners. For the past couple of years we have been living in Alabama and we do not like it. We are liberal and not very religious - where we are is the opposite. The first question we get here when meeting new people is whether we have a "church home" - we understand that it is part of the culture here, but as northerners we find it pretty off-putting.
"Do you have a church home?"

That's freaking scary. It's like one of those crazy villages in a Stephen King novel.

I can see why you want to run from those wackos.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM

436 posts, read 948,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I agree with what DeaconJ said about not being offended by the question of religion. You see that concern expressed A LOT on C-D and it has always puzzled me. I don't see why that is any more offensive or intrusive than where did you go to school, where do you work, do you have kids, what was your mother's maiden name or what do you like to drink?
One's choice of Coke or Pepsi does not contain a willingness to believe a large set of myths, thereby expressing adherence to the moral code purported to exist in the myth.

This is obvious.

If you like Pepsi, I can't tell much further about you from that fact. If you tell me you're Southern Baptist, I start to know plenty about you.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,434,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I agree with what DeaconJ said about not being offended by the question of religion. You see that concern expressed A LOT on C-D and it has always puzzled me. I don't see why that is any more offensive or intrusive than where did you go to school, where do you work, do you have kids, what was your mother's maiden name or what do you like to drink? Yeah I guess it is a Southern thing but I sincerely think it is an attempt to be friendly, not necessarily be nosey. If you go through life with a chip on your shoulder and get all bent out of shape when people ask personal questions, you're going to have a tough time anywhere. Also, if you are truly comfortable and confident in your choice of poltics, religion, lifestyle, etc why do you need validation from others? I'm a gay guy and get asked occasionally if I'm dating a girl or when do I plan to get married and it doesn't bother me. If I don't think saying "I'm gay!" is the appropriate answer, I'll just fake it or change the subject. Most people know better than to ask things like that in the first place, and those that do aren't worth concerning myself with.

As for Decatur, I saw where the city recently changed its slogan from "A city of Homes, Schools and Churches" to "A city of Homes, Schools and Places of Worship." That ought to tell you something.
Well, Newsboy--IIRC, you live in Savannah. When I moved to Savannah and taught on the westside--Port Wentworth, Pooler area--it was something of a culture shock --a bit more than just being friendly, imo.
At any rate that was the 'Past'. In metro Atlanta --'Believe as you will' seems to be the prevailing philosophy. I suppose it is a style--most, perhaps I should say all, people have 'beliefs' and on occasion speak of their beliefs ---which is a part of being fully human.
Reflecting back---half a century or so--it is interesting that in the Atlanta area located in the center of the Bible Belt somehow the concept of 'have your own beliefs' and be respectful of those of others was 'how it was' and is more so today. lol--Methodism/Emory---inclusive yet private...jmo.

I haven't lived in the Midwest but have known many from that area ---which would be considered 'more conservative'/privacy being a priority, etc and I think religion was less evangelical in that region.
At any rate the OP should enjoy Decatur--what's not to like?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,248,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
"Do you have a church home?"

That's freaking scary. It's like one of those crazy villages in a Stephen King novel.

I can see why you want to run from those wackos.
I've gotten the "When are you coming to church with me?" many, many times. It's creepy.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,248,576 times
Quote:
One's choice of Coke or Pepsi does not contain a willingness to believe a large set of myths, thereby expressing adherence to the moral code purported to exist in the myth.

This is obvious.
It is obvious.

If someone has invested their life heavily enough into their religion that it seems natural to ask you about yours, and you say "I'm not religious", 'I don't go to church", "I don't believe in God", "I'm a Muslim", or anything like that, you are setting yourself up for a hassle.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,758,973 times
Quote:

This is obvious.

If you like Pepsi, I can't tell much further about you from that fact. If you tell me you're Southern Baptist, I start to know plenty about you.
I've met plenty of southern baptists in my lifetime, and no two are ever the same. You can generalize on people of the same religion about like you can generalize on people who like Pepsi. It's absurd.

It seems to me that there is as much illogical fear associated with radical baptists as there is with radical muslims...when in reality most of them are very moderate.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,434,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I actually am currently living in Winston-Salem at the moment...I had to move here for medical reasons and I'm going through a lengthy recovery from surgery. I grew up here and really like it, but it's very different from Atlanta. I've read a lot on city-data about N.C. becoming more of a "blue state", but when I see Fox News on every lobby television of the many doctor's offices and hospitals it certainly makes me wonder if that is really true. My parents are conservative, so I'm around their many conservative friends as well. It hasn't been a problem or anything, but if I wanted to talk about politics I'm sure we would have some disagreements. Overall it's a wonderful place to live, but it's not easy to come across people with similar views to my own.
I hope you are doing well--I think Winston-Salem is a great area. It's closer to the beach, isn't it---that's always a good thing in my book.
As for politics ---oh well--I try not to let it 'ruin' my life. Wherever you are there will be those who are overly zealous ---looking no further than my own family--where religion and politics cannot be discussed without intensity.

Some things 'cease to matter' after a while. jmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta