U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,224,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why is this scandal (or any other gay church leader scandal) a surprise to anyone?

It is well known in that the Black church is (secret) repository for gays. Typically, each church has its Music Director, Choir Director and/or deacons with a little "sugar in his tank". Or the bossy, overweight, somewhat masculine church women who are 40 or 50 years old and never married.

These types of people hide behind "The Church" as a means to minimize questions about their personal sexual "truths". And Eddie Long is no different. He just had the "power" to seduce and secure sexual relations with adolescents/boys in his church.

I grew up in all-white Methodist churches. My family attended church every Sunday.

As I look back now, I didn't see even a hint of homosexuality. I even attended a few all-boy church camps during the summer and nada. Nothing.

But one pastor was having heterosexual sex at one church. A friend of my mom was having a sexual relationship with our then pastor. She sought marriage counseling, because of marital problems with her husband, and it lead to sexual intimacy with our pastor.

As I recall my mom's friend and our pastor were caught in the middle of the sexual act in the sanctuary. He was eventually forced out of our church.

From what I can remember, the pastor seemed to be unphased by his sexual infidelities. But it sure affected the pastor's wife. She became very depressed and died at an early age. She was in her early 50s.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 PM

12,204 posts, read 17,577,064 times
Look at the bright side. At least gay people don't be gay all they life. They can change their feelings. Being gay, I think, is like an addiction. You can change anything but death.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,224,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not true at all...it's a common problem all over the world - and not just in religious situations. I'm sorry if you don't care about sexual predators, but many of us do care about this issue. Being a teacher I am very concerned about the well-being of children and our responsibilites to protect them from this type of behavior. It's all too common and can be devastating to the growth/development of a child.

So true!

Sexual predators, of any sexual orientation, can ruin childrens' lives. The formative years are so important.

I remember a much older male student making sexual overtures to me while I was a freshman in college. I was 18-years-old, but I was still pretty young. At the time, it did affect me in a major way.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,553,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Flipping through the channels years ago, I happened to stop on his TV sermon. My first thought, seeing this big "buck" preaching in a teeny weeny super tight muscle t-shirt was, "Wow, I bet all of those brothas and sistas in his church don't realize that their pastor is on the "Down Low".

Why is Atlanta so notorious for Black men being on the D.L.?
I don't think it's about Atlanta being notorious for black men being on the DL, it's more about blacks not getting a grip on homosexuality in the black community. It's some sort of voo-doo. Dirty laundry that should not be aired.

Blacks can be in just as much denial about homosexual issues as whites are in denial about racism and unearned privilege as a group.

But, I am not surprised by the allegations, against Long.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I think there are more stories like this out there. It is still very taboo in the black community to be a gay man especially when the black church is in the mix.

This "down low" is a terrible thing and likely why AIDS is a major problem in the black community. If you wanna sleep with men, be honest about it and more importantly use protection.

On Eddie, you had to know somethings was up. Permed hair, muscle shirts?
i saw him once driving in a white convertible Lexus and the passenger was another man........the first thing I said to myself was......"they sure do look like they are gay"...... Long just has gay like tendencies to me. I always thought that.

They way they were smiling and waving, it looked unlike something 2 straight guys would be doing.

DISCLAIMER: No I don't have a problem with gays.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,490 times
First of all one of the accusers robbed the church.God is the judge of the universe,how can you rob a sacred place and not respect the heavenly Judge and expect me to believe that you respect the earthy Judge. The bible says that you will know them by thier fruits and the fruits look rotten. Eddie Long is innocent until proven guilty and at this point it just looks like a man who was involved with mentoring younge men out of the kindness of his heart to increase the kingdom of God
and what does he get. JUDASES

Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,490 times
The Gay Life style is a SIN just as adultry and lying and premarital sex.
like it or not thats the way it is.If you choose to go that path it will lead to destruction.

People need to know God is love but when He says a thing is a sin its a sin no man can alter the laws of GOD the bible says... Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away.
REPENT BECAUSE THE KINGDOM IS NEAR.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalevrone View Post
First of all one of the accusers robbed the church.God is the judge of the universe,how can you rob a sacred place and not respect the heavenly Judge and expect me to believe that you respect the earthy Judge. The bible says that you will know them by thier fruits and the fruits look rotten. Eddie Long is innocent until proven guilty and at this point it just looks like a man who was involved with mentoring younge men out of the kindness of his heart to increase the kingdom of God
and what does he get. JUDASES
Are you a member of his Church?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,713,437 times
How MANY of these types of things have we heard over the years and how many of them eventually proved the accusers right? Long could be innocent, of course, but this is the same song and dance from Jim Baker to Jimmy Swaggart and from Paul Crouch to Ted Haggard and MANY other unknowns who claim intimacy with the gods. I've been in church and I have seen and known the attraction these men (priests/pastors/ministers/bishops) have on people. They find themselves up against primal urges bigger than them which is often made much easier because of easy access and/or money. They are NO different than the sleazy politician or Dennis Rodman's of the world who all of sudden becomes attractive to the leaches because of the money, power and prestige.

As I have said, while I know some want to take the high road, there have been faaarrrrrr too many of these type of things to just shrug this one off. First the accustations, then the denials, then the blaming of some invisible character called the devil and then the damning irrefutable evidence (which in today's world can include video, texts, e-mails and cell phone voice mails) followed by the "please forgive me for I have sinned" speech, then the rebirth with followers all over again.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,713,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalevrone View Post
The Gay Life style is a SIN just as adultry and lying and premarital sex.
like it or not thats the way it is.If you choose to go that path it will lead to destruction.

People need to know God is love but when He says a thing is a sin its a sin no man can alter the laws of GOD the bible says... Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away.
REPENT BECAUSE THE KINGDOM IS NEAR.
Your PERSONAL reality is not everyone else's Lolita. It's all fine and good you believe all of that, but it is YOUR, personal SUBJECTIVE belief. The rest of us might prefer a different kind of kool-aid and have just as much conviction about it. Yes, you are indeed entitled to your own beliefs/opinion but not your own personal facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or